I am so mad,. peed off. ugh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all I can say are some people are idiots,. I have many dogs..and never have them running loose. I too was surprised at how fast the attack happened. There really wasn't much of anything I could do. I truly have no idea how snowflake didnt get tore up. The dog was biting her sides and legs. I know I should report them..but I am afraid if I do then every time my dogs bark They will call the law on me. I am moving soon..will just let it go

The neighbors next door to where we are moving let there dogs run too. I love dogs..but they really need to stay home. If my animals get attacked out in the country it will happen only once. I feel totally justified in taking out anything that will try and hurt them. At least it is legal to discharge a firearm in the country

Snowflake seems just fine. I am sorry to hear this wasn't really an unusual situation. And that some folks have suffered much because others can't be responsible for their animals. Not sure I understand tgheir mindsets..other then just idiots

Where we live in Montana it is legal to shoot any dog running loose that is chasing wildlife or livestock. I called to report a dog chasing one of my big horses years ago and the sheriff's office told me to shoot it. I didn't as we were new to the area and I wanted to give a warning to the owner first and I had been able to throw rocks and run it off. Same owner, new dog (other one died of old age) same problem. A low strand of electric fence wire has stopped the problem (with a very satisfying yelp). However they have been warned. Some folks just don't think the rules apply to them or their animals.

I am so sorry you had such a scary experience. The owners should be more responsible. We have had German Shepherds for over 15 years and they always respected and still respect the minis. However, we make sure we are around so nothing happens. I will attach some photos of their friendships with the minis.

I think the most special was the friendship our 10.5 year old German Shepherd, Tsarevich, had with our gelding Joey. Joey came to us about 4 weeks before he passed away. Tsarevich was suffering from kind of canine "MS". His back legs totally gave out and other organs were going as well. We took him for his daily walks to the field and every time Joey would see us coming up the hill toward the corral he would run up to the fence and stay with Tsarevich. One day we realized that Tsarevich lost his voice as well as he tried to "talk" to Joey but no sound would come out. Joey must have understood anyway. About 2 weeks before Tsarevich's death we went for our usual afternoon walk. But this time he did not want to go to the field. He wanted to go immediatelly to Joey. So we went (had to carry his back end with a sling as he walked with his front feet). He laid down at the fence and stayed for a long time. Sometime he would lay flat and stick his head under the fence with Joey grazing right by his nose. He did this every day until the day he died. And we burried him right at the corral fence. Shortly after Tsarevich's death we had a friend visiting with his German Shephard. His coloring was similar to that of Tsarevich so when Joey saw the dog he ran to the fence as usual. When he discovered that it was not his friend he walked away.

Another of our Shepherds, Temair, use to lay at the fence and watch our foals for us. When our few weeks old filly got out of the fence he came to allert us. He also found her when she "hid" in a trailer unknown to us whenit was parked behind the corral.

Joey & Tsar.jpg

Tsar.jpg

Temair & Sunrise 2.jpg

What a nice story, beautiful GSD!. And to me even looking nicer with that fence between!

My personal experience with them is they are very smart and very beautiful..but I have owned one that attacked my baby goat,,and another rip apart a baby pig..busting and shredding a pallet pen to get through to it.I had one that cornered my mother and Then of course my last experience.

.and the one when i was about 10 yrs old and one came charging me..just standing there in attack mode. There is good and bad in each breed and I do understand that. .Just so you all know I amnot prejudiced to them. If the neighbors dog had been a collie I would feel the same way.

I am sorry this happened to you and am very glad to hear no person or animal was hurt physically.

I do like GSD's, I've owned two. Rehomed them. Good dogs, but not for every person / situation.

I have also done dog grooming / boarding kennel work for 8 years. I have been between dog fights amongst strong willed breeds -- GSD vs Pit Bull, GSD vs Boxer and so on. It all happens so fast and it can be very scary. I have also been sent to the hospital twice for GSD bites (and other breeds!).

I understand your reasoning for not wanting to cause problems with your neighbors. Obviously they were aware of what happened since they helped call the dog off. The dog was 'restrained' by an underground fence and broke through, right!? I would still have a nice chat with them and recommend a safer fencing. Am sure they didn't intentionally mean for / know their dog would break loose, but next time it happens it could be a worse outcome or even involve a person or child.

Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back