I AM LIVID !! MY HORSES MANE WAS CUT OFF AT WORLDS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont mean that it's a joke- I guess not that kind of humor. I know it happens- all the time. I guess I find it wry, or even dry humor on my part- and sad too, that people get taken, because they have money to spend on something, that they are taken advantage of over and over.

I know a couple personally here that are out of the horse business ENTIRELY, and never care to come back, because of the horrible dealings they got, being novices and instead of being helped and coached by those that know, were breeders and had shown, they were terribly taken advantage of and ripped off and sold 'junk'. And I mean junk.

As a possible buyer, I guess I dont understand other people being that gullible, or dropping that kind of money without doing their homework first- and just being at the mercy of someone who may take them to the cleaners. And then those that can't win, resort to the kind of tactics that happened here at Worlds, and worse, to try to make up for, or cover, their dishonest dealings.

I think we are loosing the reason I posted the intentional destruction of my horse's mane at the World Show. I'm not concerned that he didn't place and I am not blaming AMHA. I just wanted everyone to know what happened so they can be more cautious at all shows. I am very concerned about what this person will do next time. Will they stop at just cutting off the mane?? I still cry everytime I look at him and I don't want anyone else to have to go through this. I like the ideas I have recieved through LB. It gives me allot to think about for next year, Including IF I even want to continue showing. The safety of my horse means more to me that showing does. We will never know who did this and it really hurts that it is someone that I see and talk to - like nothing happened.

I appreciate all of your kind words and suggestions.

Sheri I totally understand and am very sorry for all it has done to you. A horrible feeling when you do not feel your horse is safe in a barn full of horse people. Totally disturbing

I know so little.. Is a full mane required to show? It's not like the horse is lame,or bleeding from the mouth,so why wasn't he allowed to show.

I guess I am confused.... did he show and not place or was he excused from the ring because of what happened?

Sheri, this is what they would like you to do- not show. Why lose out on your own enjoyment and having fun with your horse? And I agree, it is deeply disturbing to know that this is someone you have been around and probably spoke with.

Sherri, I was mortified at what happened to your horse at Worlds. I heard that the culprit actually had to remove a neck wrap and sweat in order to chop off the mane, and then replaced them after the act? I hope the police continue to investigate this CRIMINAL act and prosecute it to the fullest extent. If a suspect is caught, you should also seek civil damages, at the very least, malicious destruction of property comes to mind. Wishing you and your horse the best, and a speedy regrowth!!

If everyone remembers a couple of years ago, Reese Family Miniatures had someone go into the horses stalls and remove all the clothing. Measured the horses and took pictures. Besides for health concerns or emergency situations, heaven help anyone caught in my stalls uninvited. This all so stupid and unnecessary!
I remember. Our horse was one of those.... And we know exactly who did it....

As to the AMHA publically stating a member was sanctioned and why, that absolutely used to be done!!! It was published in the World. Charges of rules broken, when, who, what penalty was administered, etc. This was in the early 90's. They stopped but, should not have, IMO.
This is why people do things like this... Nothing happens when they are caught. It gets tossed around on message boards, by word of mouth, etc. People are too scared to mention the exact names (including myself). If you say something, then what will they do to your horse? When the registries try to do anything about it, the culprits sue for slander.

It gives me allot to think about for next year, Including IF I even want to continue showing. The safety of my horse means more to me that showing does. We will never know who did this and it really hurts that it is someone that I see and talk to - like nothing happened.
Sheri, don't you dare stop showing!!! That's giving them exactly what they want. Then they'll walk around all smug thinking they have control over you. I know you. You're a strong person, you can make it through this.

I don't understand people who do things like this. Where is the joy in winning by those methods?? How can someone cheat like that and still go about life as normal? Maybe I have an overactive conscience, but I wouldn't be able to do something like that and forgive myself.

It will come back to bite them. Maybe not this year, next year, or the one after that; but eventually it will.

I remember. Our horse was one of those.... And we know exactly who did it....

This is why people do things like this... Nothing happens when they are caught. It gets tossed around on message boards, by word of mouth, etc. People are too scared to mention the exact names (including myself). If you say something, then what will they do to your horse? When the registries try to do anything about it, the culprits sue for slander.

Sheri, don't you dare stop showing!!! That's giving them exactly what they want. Then they'll walk around all smug thinking they have control over you. I know you. You're a strong person, you can make it through this.

I don't understand people who do things like this. Where is the joy in winning by those methods?? How can someone cheat like that and still go about life as normal? Maybe I have an overactive conscience, but I wouldn't be able to do something like that and forgive myself.

It will come back to bite them. Maybe not this year, next year, or the one after that; but eventually it will.
(Bolding above is mine.)

First of all, let me say that I have great sympathy for anyone who is a victim. BUT, I've got to ask the question, "If you don't say anything, how many more times will they continue to do it and how much worse will it get if they continue to get away with it?"

I guess I am confused.... did he show and not place or was he excused from the ring because of what happened?

Sheri, this is what they would like you to do- not show. Why lose out on your own enjoyment and having fun with your horse? And I agree, it is deeply disturbing to know that this is someone you have been around and probably spoke with.

Yes - I did show the horse and he was gated. In 2008 is placed RES CHAMP. and in 2009 he won two World Champion. So I did not expect to get the gate this year, but it is a horse show, so things happen.

Humhill wrote: Where is the joy in winning by those methods?

MHO is that many trainers dont show for the joy of winning. They show for money- it's a job.

We have actually put up cameras at Worlds before for ourselves and for a client. The computer can be set to record and you can view the recording each morning or whenver you choose to. We had put up a barrier at the end of one of our aisles and someone broke through it and went down our aisle in the middle of the night. Our moderators caught it and called us - we flew to the facility and found them in our aisle.

One of them is a trainer...they were drinking and said they didn't realize they couldn't go in there. They went through a blocked wall!!! Anyway they were scolded by us and they didn't do it again. Since they hadn't done any harm we just let it die. It was a great comfort to have the cams up.

If you take your own equipment the cost is minimal, and the peace of mind is worth it. Just my opinion from experience. However - being in a metal barn, using an aircard makes getting a signal hard..not impossible, but not always easy. When we put the cams up I had internet wired in.

It's a shame that it has come to this..that everyone can't just have fun. I'm so very sorry that you and your horse have had to go through this. It really shakes your confidence in people.

Yes - I did show the horse and he was gated. In 2008 is placed RES CHAMP. and in 2009 he won two World Champion. So I did not expect to get the gate this year, but it is a horse show, so things happen.
As a trainer (and I won't speak for all), I do show for the joy of winning. I love to win and I definately like to win with someone else's horse just as much as my own. I take great pride and joy in making someone else's dreams come true. But, there is a lot of pressure on us to win. Our clients spend thousands of dollars to win and its a little disheartening for everyone when you don't.

That all said, I would never attack another trainer/exhibitor's horse because I was concerned it may beat me. But then, I also don't deal in $15,000 horses. IMO, anything worth that much has already proven itself in the arena and the breeding shed by producing national champions. Anything else short of that is a PROSPECT and should be marketed and priced as such.

Sheri,

I am so sorry to hear this happened to your horse, I would be so uneasy the rest of the time at the show, because if they will start with a mane, where will they stop?

Don't give up showing, then they (the guilty) are the winners.

I also thought of "Bonnie Fog" when reading through your post so was glad to see someone had already posted about her.

I also would bring my own camera system, just for piece of mind.

Wow, I am just sickened to hear this happend, it would just take so much joy out of what should be a great moment of the year, something you worked for all year long. Hugs to you, sorry that they did not make the announcement in the show ring though, I think they did everyone a dis-service by not following through on that. (ok again, everyone but the guilty party).

Update - AMHA has offered a reward. The announcement was made at the show, but two days after the incident. Allot of amateurs and youth had left. The last I heard was that it was between

$2000.00 and $2500.00. Part of the reward was offered by AMHA and the rest was offered by other farms. I want to say thank you to all, I truly hope we can find out who did this and ban them from AMHA before anything else happens.

Update - AMHA has offered a reward. The announcement was made at the show, but two days after the incident. Allot of amateurs and youth had left. The last I heard was that it was between

$2000.00 and $2500.00. Part of the reward was offered by AMHA and the rest was offered by other farms. I want to say thank you to all, I truly hope we can find out who did this and ban them from AMHA before anything else happens.
Thanks for the update
default_aktion033.gif

As a new Mini fancier, and as much as I enjoyed watching the Worlds show on line, I am really sad to hear this Sheri. I am glad however, to hear there is a reward to discover who did this to your horse. I hope they do catch the culprit, since not knowing, puts many other exhibitors in question. I have unfortunately, heard of similar situations in other breeds. A friend of mine who has Gypsy Horses, (known for their heavy manes and tails) awoke one morning to find the tail cut off her show stallion. It really is disgusting behaviour.

But never fear. Manes and tails do grow back and you still have your lovely horse Sheri.

Lizzie

I am glad to hear, Sheri, that nothing worse was done. It could have been so much worse. I hope whoever attacked your horse is found, and punished. The next horse this person attacks may not come out of it as well as your boy did. And he was attacked... someone intentionally removed his clothing to get to his mane. This was premeditated, and malicious.

A few years ago I was at the Western Regionals, and one of the top driving stallions, owned by a trainer, was given something. He was poisoned or drugged. This was a horse I had seen numerous times before at shows, and he was always the sweetest, most gentle horse. He could be handled by children. He was WIRED, and crazy. Whatever he was given really messed him up. He was completely not himself at all, and it was painfully obvious to anyone who saw him. He was freaked out of his mind. His owner (the trainer) was just heart broken that someone would do this to him. The horse took months to recover, and she retired him to keep him safe. Based on his behavior, we thought he had been given some type of heavy duty stimulant drug, like speed, or meth. I spoke with his owner for quite some time that day, and had a good chance to observe his behavior. And this conversation happened days after he had been drugged, the horse was beginning to recover, and was still very messed up. I was shocked, not only that someone would do something like this to an innocent animal, but they almost killed him. Just to keep him from showing. I don't think anyone was ever charged with his drugging, and I'm not sure if they ever discovered what was given to him. I am glad he survived, and is back home with his family, and still siring wonderful driving horses.

Update - AMHA has offered a reward. The announcement was made at the show, but two days after the incident. Alot of amateurs and youth had left. The last I heard was that it was between

I actually heard about the reward at the show, probably was after the youth show, but I think it was maybe before many of the amateurs had left...not sure of the exact timing. I heard frequent announcements though and do believe that the AMHA staff took this very seriously.

I am so sorry that your horse did not repeat his wins. Even though the judges were made aware of this horrible incident and asked not to judge the horse on the roached mane, it is ultimately their decisions that stand. Again I am so sorry and hate to hear of any behavior that ruins the shows for all at the expense of our horses.
default_no.gif
I hope that they find the culprit, they are prosecuted and banned from ever showing any horse, any breed again. :arg!

Just to keep him from showing. I don't think anyone was ever charged with his drugging, and I'm not sure if they ever discovered what was given to him.
Did they even check his blood for signs of stimulants etc.? Because MAYBE it was natural - a calm and friendly stallion I once worked with came unglued overnight - acting as is he was on an overdose of stimulants or something. No one had done anything to him. He just had some sort of neurological "storm" - made worse by the fact that he was also found to have had a sinus infection waaay up in his head that must have caused him incredible pain. In time, he returned to being the calm, easy-going horse he used to be. An Arabian mare I worked with years ago had a sudden and violent change in her temperament that was later traced to a tumour.

I am not sure why it would take months to recover from stimulants... IMO something else was going on there.

Sometimes I feel that we are too quick to point fingers when what happened to the horse may have been unconnected with anyone doing anything to him/her...

Yes, his blood was checked. The thing that stuck out to me when I was him that day were his eyes... he was twitching. Rolling his eyes, blinking, the pupils were out of whack, they just were wrong. Something was given to him. Something that messed him up for days.

Latest posts

Back