I am having a hugh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
I have been raising horses for several years and have never had a problem selling or placing our horses. With the way the economy is and with the horse industry in shambles I am ready to geld everything and no longer breed!! It breaks my heart seeing any animal in bad shape and I know I cannot rescue everything. How do I teach my kids what is right, when every time we go to a auction they see animals that are skinny, sick, or being handled roughly. I had decided not to breed anything this year and that is proving very hard to do. We just moved to our new place and have been replacing the fences, well every week I am either getting my boys away from the girls or yelling at the girls for going through the fence to the boys :DOH! !! I feel guilty bringing more horses into this world!! I sound like a parent (I am) I don't know what to do!! These are animals but to me they are more than that!! So will someone please tell me what to do!!
default_wacko.png
Tell me I am being foolish, anything? :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a few people have read your post, but at the time I started my reply, no one has answered. I wish I could tell you something to make you fell better, but I wouldn't know what to say. I don't breed.

I'm an avid Craig's List browser and the number of horses for sale in the Farm & Garden section grows like mad each day. I have yet to see a horse for sale in my area that is over $1,500 too. Here in Illinois, we recently had a story in the paper about a horse that was hit by a car. He was loose in the roads and no one has claimed ownership of him. Its crazy times right now. I'm sure you'll get a few answers for both sides of the issue and I'm curious to see who has "slowed down" or stopped breeding because of the economy and the state of the horse world right now. If you are breeding quality Minis and you know you have a good home for them, why not breed for one foal? Again, I don't breed so I can't help much, but I'm sure there are other out there who are wondering the same as you! Hang in there!!
default_yes.gif

I know I would feel the same as you if I were breeding horses. I would feel that way about breeding any animal though. There are just too many out there that need homes. I wouldn't feel good about myself if I was contributing to the overpopulation during times like these just for my own gain or enjoyment. Having said that, I DO NOT look down upon breeders for choosing to breed. I just personally would not find it enjoyable. And I think breeders see their stock as a step above the general market so they justify continuing to breed because they feel they are breeding quality. Not sure if it's wrong or right, just something I have noticed.

I often wonder when threads are starting about horses going hungry, hay prices and vet care prices, why so many breeders are continuing to produce SO many foals each year. To each his own I guess

JMO
default_biggrin.png

I know I would feel the same as you if I was breeding horses. I would feel that way about breeding any animal though. There are just too many out there that need homes. I wouldn't feel good about myself if I was contributing to the overpopulation during times like these just for my own gain or enjoyment. Having said that, I DO NOT look down upon breeders for choosing to breed. I just personally would not find it enjoyable. And I think breeders see their stock as a step above the general market so they justify continuing to breed because they feel they are breeding quality. Not sure if it's wrong or right, just something I have noticed.

I often wonder when threads are starting about horses going hungry, hay prices and vet care prices, why so many breeders are continuing to produce SO many foals each year. To each his own I guess

JMO
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

Ditto

I couldn't have said it better!

By reading your post it seems you already know the answer
default_smile.png
. I guess I feel the same way and have no desire to bring another horse into the world. I have not had a problem selling foals in the past but won't be breeding anytime soon. I had my stallion gelded. Brandi, I wonder the same thing but you are right to each their own.

As a long time breeder, I totally understand and share your concern and view........

Right now our world and economy is very disturbing and people are reacting accordingly. For us, as breeders, and we try to be responsible ones, it's a wise time to NOT breed. Larry and I have discussed it and are in agreement....... Most of our mares will NOT be bred back.

In the meantime, we currently have two rescue horses we are caring for..........One is a mini and one is a full sized. Once they go to their forever homes, we will probably be able to care for a couple more........ The more people that can create some extra space for a special need......even for awhile, the better, right now.

We had this same discussion late last year. We had lots of problems last year just trying to find good homes for our horses for sale, but fortuantly we got them sold too good people, took a huge loss on them but oh well. It was very stressful. We decided to no longer breed as well. A couple of times we thought oh we can do it and be sure they are keepers, but we stood by our word. We gelded our stallion, and we are selling off our breeding stock too good homes. We are keeping our show horses and we got a couple new younger horses to show. We just want to show, no longer breed. We will probably get back into breeding but not in the near future, maybe the next president can pull us out of this hole, and the horse breeders can get back into what they love best.

I'm on the same page as you are. I specifically didn't rebreed

last season, for the over abundance issue......

I keep telling myself I'm part of the solution or part of the problem.

However, I have a definite empty nest syndrome this year

with out any babies to spoil. I even bought a new mare

to use with my stallion.....and I keep finding myself putting off

breeding her.... I have one mare in for breeding but I know that

baby will stay with it's family.......as my babies have. The only

one I've let go went to very close friends and I'm still part of her life.

My quandry is that I don't want to sell mine, I want to keep them

all, so it's not even an experience of not being able to sell.

I'm just having a hard time substantiating breeding anyone,

when I could just as easily go to the sale board and buy a baby

or babies all day long. The other side of me misses being part

of the birthing process and the bonding with the new life.

I've 4 breeding age mares and my window for this season is

getting smaller and I'm still straddling the 'responsibility' question

as to whether to breed this year or hold off another year.

I can totally understand the excitement of being there for the birthing process. It must be amazing and I could see not wanting to let go of that. Maybe breeders can just cut back some. It sounds like many already are cutting back
default_yes.gif
The "backyard" breeders aren't helping the situation at all. That goes for all animals. People breed their cute dog just because they are cute. No papers and no lines to follow. Lots and lots of mutts. I guess it's the same thing with the horse industry.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will make the right decision for you, your family and the horses
default_yes.gif
I don't think you are being foolish at all. Just a concerned and responsible owner/breeder
default_yes.gif

I've put so many years, dollars, and research / hard thinking into this before I ever started breeding. I feel like we've produced some quality foals that I have plans for and these are the quality of foals I appreciate being able to buy from other breeders in the past (and in the future -- I'm not quitting).

I'd say if you've never had trouble placing foals then you've been doing something right and if your heart is still in it, don't quit but maybe scale back if that makes you feel better.

Personally, I'd hate to see those farms with high caliber programs "quit". I appreciate being able to buy and make nice foals and the economy hasn't changed anything for me... One mare that I offered for sale was spoken for practically the day after I put her on my sales page (before she was ever advertised) and the one "sale filly" I had is just too special and I pulled her to stay and show with us next year
default_yes.gif

PS we are expecting three foals next year -- two double bred buckeroo ones sired by Destiny out of our perlino Bandito daughters, and one out of our pretty new silver buckskin sired by DunIT. I can't wait!!! And have already been thinking hard on the 2010 foals as well.

Interesting topic.

There are a lot of little horses in Ontario Canada as well, and the May sale in Harriston had some very low prices.

There also were not a lot of "quality horses" in the approximately 60 horses that were sold, in my humble opinion.

You're not alone. Here lately I find myself questioning every decision We've made. We just recently made a major purchase and invested in an awesome stallion. However, we only put one mare with him this year. If she's settled great, if not that is ok too. I just cannot justify breeding at this time. We're relatively new and unknown. I'm working to change that.

The big owie for us was that two of our colts were sold to our neighbor. They're having a really rough time and now that the boys are weaned, they can no longer take them. Now I need to find them a new home and I look at the market (flooded with colts) and pray that a wonderful home will come along for them.

Its rough right now.

I do not breed every year and when I do, I rotate mares. It may look to some people that my mares might have fertility problems because each doesn't have a foal every year, but that is not the case. It is my choice.

The market is not great, but I still get calls looking for babies. Most people want them for next to nothing though. Many people seem to want perfection for pennies.

I breed when everything has been sold, I make sure I have room for babies in case they might not get sold. When I breed it is only for 2-3 a year, and not every year.

This year I have thought of not breeding mares... but I have two mares for sale, keepers ...only for sale due to some huge vet bills. No one seems interested if they are open.

This year, I only have a 2 year old colt. He may or may not shoot blanks, who knows yet. Some colts are more mature than others. So, I am going to give the colt these two nice mares, in hopes that they will sell easier. Its a shame, I do not like selling mares in foal, I make it a practice not to, as I feel responsible for them and feel the need to be the one that is there for the foaling.

Someone made mention of "back yard breeders" . What does this mean to you? I am not a big farm. I am a little guy, but my horses cost me well. I seem to buy high and sell... well... not high, like some bigger farms. My horses are always current on vet and hoof care and worming. If there is a vet emergency It is taken care of, sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars. I show a little. I try to breed the best to the best.I am honest and tell everything I know about my sale horses. I use breeder alerts and cameras. I make every effort to attend every foaling. I cull horses and geld them and find them good homes if they are not breeding /show material. I handle every horse every day. I muck and clean daily and usually am and pm. I do all the work myself.

I do not crank out baby after baby. Yet, I still have guilt for breeding.

Robin

I've chosen not to breed my mare this year and probably next year, unless someone decides to buy my stallion, then I'll breed her before he leaves, but I don't think thats going to happen.

As for the fences, HOTWIRE/TAPE/ROPE etc Is your friend, they will stay off the fences. I have a horse that normally jumps the fence if its not hot, so far the hottape has kept her silly redheaded self in the fence where she belongs. its not cheap but peace of mind is soooo worth it.

Karen

I do not breed every year and when I do, I rotate mares. It may look to some people that my mares might have fertility problems because each doesn't have a foal every year, but that is not the case. It is my choice.
This is a pretty good description of what it's like here too. I have an 8 year old maiden mare that remains unbred, not because I don't like her but because I don't feel like I've found the right cross for her yet and am not going to breed her just to breed her. I have a mare that was retired very early and in perfect health because I didn't feel she was breeding quality anymore (she's currently teaching my second cousin's daughter the ways of the horse) and two other mares that were retired early just because I felt they deserved it. We average 0-1 foals a year, and we keep at least half of them into maturity and at least half of those will live their lives here. We cut our herd in half a few years ago, so I have plenty of extra space to play around with.

I have never had a hard time finding buyers, I'm just very particular about making sure each horse goes to the right home. I will actually be increasing my breeding for next year (should be expecting 3 or 4 foals if all goes well), but it's only because I'm testing new crosses as we work on improving our program. I'm also however making plans to show and promote more, so I will probably keep most or all of those foals too.

Looking at my response, I guess I have a unique situation in that we have never needed to sell a horse. I see the issues with the market and it does concern me, but the nice thing about my horses is that when I breed them first and foremost it's because I want the foal--not because I'm hoping I can find someone else that does.

I do have foals comeing next year. Its looking like 3. I have foals this year that are not sold, but I havent really tried either. I dont plan to breed anything next year. In fact want to cut back on some of the mares as well.

It is tough times and tough question. I think everyone has an individual answer. I feel that if you can produce a quality product and have a market for that product then go right ahead. Most people are going to internet advertising now to sell their horses as a lot of "local" markets have slowed down. Personally, I don't produce anything that I wouldn't be able to keep (financially) if the market tanks. If you have doubts about breeding more, then I think you have probably already answered the question for yourself, but as I said it is a very individual decision. Good Luck!

I am sure there are many of us giving this a lot of thought right now. In the end, we each have to decide what feels right for US.

Despite a horrific start in the miniature horse breeding business (this is our 3rd year breeding and no live foals yet), we have decided to keep trying. It is very tempting to give up, and the economy is not helping at all, but we are still optimistic. I am also wondering why we don't see marketing of miniature horses that capitalizes on the poor economy. I keep expecting to see ads for minis in all-breed publications that stress their low upkeep compared with "big" horses, and all the things you can do with them. We primarily show on the Pinto circuit (lots of performance), where it seems EVERYONE wants a mini. People must see how much fun we are all having showing them! Then I had a call from a stranger yesterday who had seen our website and wanted to buy our gelding - who is NOT FOR SALE. So I think a lot depends on where you live, how you market, and what your competition is. Or maybe it is more of a case of seeing the glass half full vs. half empty!

Well I just got back from the vets and got some lutalise (sp?) I have 4 girls that I have been fighting with on keeping them open and my jack and stud have managed to best me. We just finished most of our fencing and we can keep them seperated by 3 pastures, so I think we are good!! I have 3 jennys that are bred for next year, one that I want the baby for myself the other 2 if they are jennys I will keep also. If they are jacks then I will either keep them and geld or find great homes. No mares will have foals next year and I have decided to geld my stud. Not until fall though because I am breeding a couple outside mares, so I better wait until they are for sure infoal!! I am going to breed to outside stallions for now until my colt born this year is old enough and maybe by then the economy will be better or at least we will know what direction we need to take!! Hopefully by then my colt will also be a successful show horse!!
default_smile.png
That will leave me some room to take in some rescues!!

Thanks for letting me vent!

When I say "backyard breeder" I am talking about the horse traders I have ran into who are putting ponies with mini's just because they can, even though their feet are completely clubbed and there are no papers. They just do it because they can. For me this does not include people who choose to breed on a small scale. Just those who are doing it regardless of pedigree and overall quality. These people are the one's who actually "think" that they can make money wheeling and dealing horses.

The market is not great, but I still get calls looking for babies. Most people want them for next to nothing though. Many people seem to want perfection for pennies.

I breed when everything has been sold, I make sure I have room for babies in case they might not get sold. When I breed it is only for 2-3 a year, and not every year.

This year I have thought of not breeding mares... but I have two mares for sale, keepers ...only for sale due to some huge vet bills. No one seems interested if they are open.

This year, I only have a 2 year old colt. He may or may not shoot blanks, who knows yet. Some colts are more mature than others. So, I am going to give the colt these two nice mares, in hopes that they will sell easier. Its a shame, I do not like selling mares in foal, I make it a practice not to, as I feel responsible for them and feel the need to be the one that is there for the foaling.

Someone made mention of "back yard breeders" . What does this mean to you? I am not a big farm. I am a little guy, but my horses cost me well. I seem to buy high and sell... well... not high, like some bigger farms. My horses are always current on vet and hoof care and worming. If there is a vet emergency It is taken care of, sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars. I show a little. I try to breed the best to the best.I am honest and tell everything I know about my sale horses. I use breeder alerts and cameras. I make every effort to attend every foaling. I cull horses and geld them and find them good homes if they are not breeding /show material. I handle every horse every day. I muck and clean daily and usually am and pm. I do all the work myself.

I do not crank out baby after baby. Yet, I still have guilt for breeding.

Robin

Latest posts

Back