I am concerned about my yearling filly...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try buying this, McIntosh Pro line 911 Emergency would not be with out it....

Can buy from any TSC store, Greenhawk stores, and Coops.

911 Emergency designed for the immediate treatment of the symptoms of, scours, gut ache, stress, heat exhaustion, dehydration, exposure to mouldy hay or forage. For the prevention and treatment of diarrhea, and conditions associated with digestive upset. First aid during colic episode prior to professional diagnosis and treatment. 911 Emergency is a must to have on hand for those Emergency situations.

Use 911 Emergency then call your local veterinarian.

Canada call / 1877-825-7325 http://www.mcintoshproline.com/equine/index.html

U.S call / 1800-321-2142 or http://www.bigdweb.com/

Just put 911 in where it says products search..

Last edited by a moderator:
UlcerGuard and GastroGuard ARE both made by Merial but there is a slight difference:

UlcerGuard helps prevent ulcers, so if you have a horse who is prone to ulcers or who will be under stress, use UlcerGuard.

GastroGard treats ulcers while they are occuring.

Now, there isn't much of a difference, other than GastroGard is prescription and UlcerG isn't.

They have basically the same ingredients and cost about the same per tube BUT...

a tube of UlcerG will last a LONG time. You don't get just 4 or so doses out of it. You give it by weight and I think (if memory serves) a tube will last at least twice as long.

GastroG is great stuff. I'd hate to have to feed it to a full-sized horse where a tube is one dose!

Good luck!

I just got off the phone with the vet, and the gastrogurad will be there by tomorrow at noon, so I'll be up there waiting for it and as soon as it arrivs, I'll be on my way home with it to start treatment! I sure hope it works!

Another gal wrote to me this morning about the 911 paste, so I have already looked that up. It is a broad spectrum type probiotic, that I will buy to have on hand, but for now, I have probiotics here that I am giving already, so feel if it is going to help, it will.

I REALLY HATE living in such an isolated area at times like this! It sounds so east to hear all of you that live in larger areas say to get this, or get that. I can't just run to town to get these things quickly. :no: I live 33 miles out of the nearest town(where drug store is), which is SMALL. My only feed store is about 60 miles away, and is a small feed store, mostly carrying cattle supplies as this is a cattle farming area, but they do have LIMITED horse supplies too. Anything special requested can take a long time to get here...until the next order, if you're lucky! Then the vet that I have to run to for any vet supplies is 80 miles away. There are no large centers around here at all. Winnipeg would be the closest, and that is where the Equine Vet is, and to go through the border with no horse is a 4 hour drive, to go around the other way with a horse in tow, is about 5 hours. Then to rely on ordering online, none of that gets sent out fast enough either. It's just sooooo frustrating!!! UGH! :eek:

Mona, I've read the entire thread and hoping for the very best for you and your girl.

Sadly the entire scenario sounds exactly like what we went through in January with Lacey. Ulcers was the poular theory - though the vet was treating her for a stomach infection just in case. The stomach infection was accurate, and the anorexia which was a result triggered the lipidemia. And it was hyperlipidemia that killed her.

Please, please be careful and if there is any way to get her to a clinic and have her triglyceride levels checked it would be the best insurance. If it goes into lipidemia it will happen very, very fast. If she starts to lean into the corners you will know immediatly what is happening (and by that point it is an absolute emergency).

I'll be praying for you guys.

WOOHOO!!!! A glimmer of hope! I am so happy I was crying, but yet have to :eek: myself to bring me back to the realization that I should not yet too optimistic! Dawn just ate some Omolene!!!! That is the first time since Sunday that she has had anything to eat in the way of grain!!!!!! It's not much, but it's a baby step, and thought I would share it with all of you, because I am so grateful to all of you for your support through this!
default_wub.png
:

Tracerace...Thank you for that info. Maybe I can get my local vet to take a blood sample from her tomorrow for me when I go to get the Gastroguard. I will call and ask! Will the tryglyceride level tell all we need to know, or should they do other bloodwork as well?

I hope she is on the road to recovery. I know how sick you feel inside knowing there is something wrong yet not really knowing what to do.

I just got back in, and she DEFINATELY drank water too! I filled her pail right to the brim awhile ago, and it is down about 3/4", so she definately drank too! :aktion033:

I talked to the animal clinic he said he has a 3rd year student in there that can draw the blood for me tomorrow when I go to get the Gastroguard, so we'll check her tryglceride levels too. Anything else I should check blood for?

I just got back in, and she DEFINATELY drank water too! I filled her pail right to the brim awhile ago, and it is down about 3/4", so she definately drank too! :aktion033:
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Mona, I'm happy she ate. I hope thats a sign!

Yes, if the triglyceride levels are high then her liver is compromised. Then you need to TELL you vet to look at hyperlipidemia and find the treatment if her levels are elevated (my vet was clueless...the members here diagnosed her and I asked him immediatly if it could be lipidemia and the vet said no....he just had no experience with mini's :no: he knows better now). They can flush the sytem somehow...we sadly never made it to that point.

Prayers your way ~~~~~

Mona, I'm happy she ate. I hope thats a sign!

Yes, if the triglyceride levels are high then her liver is compromised. Then you need to TELL you vet to look at hyperlipidemia and find the treatment if her levels are elevated (my vet was clueless...the members here diagnosed her and I asked him immediatly if it could be lipidemia and the vet said no....he just had no experience with mini's :no: he knows better now). They can flush the sytem somehow...we sadly never made it to that point.

Prayers your way ~~~~~

Well if they levels prove to be high then I'll definately be taking her to the Equine clinic in Manitoba, and FAST!

I'm sorry Mona, you've been thry quite an ordeal. I hope everything turns out ok.

Keep up the good news! Eating and drinking is always a good sign. :aktion033:

No, there really isn't any news. I am HAPPY to report both horses seem fine! The colt seemed "off" for only a day or so, then was OK again, so I put him back out to his own pen after I had kept an eye on him in the small pen for manure piles, amount of food and water consumed, and temps to be sure all seemed OK.

As for Dawn, she also seems OK now! We took her to the vet yesterday for the bloodwork and to pick up the Gastroguard. Made the 160 mile round trip for nothing, because the Gastroguard was not there like they said it would be. Well, I guess the trip was not really for nothing, but I ended up having to make two trips, as I had to then go again today to get the Gastroguard, which thankfully WAS there today, so she had her first dose of that when we got home. The bloodwork cannot be sent out until Monday. They never send blood out to the lab on a Friday, in case it sits in a courrier van somewhere all weekend.

Also, they made a HUGE mistake! They sent be a "case" of Gastroguard! They said I would be getting a box of 7 tubes at a cost of $350. Well when I got hime and opened the box, they had sent me a box with FOUR boxers containing 7 tubes each! YIKES! That would be $1400 dollars!! They better take the rest back!!! I never agreed to all that! What a great deal it would have been if I got it all for the $350!
default_wink.png
:

So anyway, dawn seems A-OK now too. She too got put back out into her pen with her sisters this morning. I don't know when the results will be back, but thank goodness everyone seems OK. Whatever it was, seemed to drag on much longer in Dawn than in Royalty. Maybe it was just the changes in temps, I have NO idea! Wish I knew!

:aktion033: I'm so glad your horses seem to be back to normal now! That is great!

Sorry to hear what you have been thru Mona! Glad to hear they are doing better!! :aktion033:

Mona, I've been gone for a while and this is the first post that caught my eye on my return. What an experience you've been through! I certainly hope things will be on the mend with Dawn now. I can certainly understand your frustration with being so far from vet service!

I think that any diagnosis without the proper blood tests is sometimes foolhardy, but in your case, when you are on a wing and a prayer, educated advice can be a life saver. Like many others, I don't believe your horse had colic. I tend to think, also, that an ulcer could be the culprit, but ulcers are usually quite painful in horses and Dawn didn't seem to be exhibiting much pain. However, the Gastroguard and Tagamet and other ulcer medications really wouldn't hurt if it turns out she does NOT have an ulcer. So in this case, it is better to err on the side of caution.

I've only had two horses go off feed, and one had to be put down due to a severe case of colic. That was my big Standardbred. The other horse, a miniature, who went off feed, had pneumonia, but he also had a fever so that was fairly easy to diagnose by the vet.

I will keep you and Dawn in my prayers and hope there is a full recovery. It's just so distressing when we know our loved ones are ill but we don't know the cause of it!

Oh, great news! Thanks for the update....sorry about the wasted gas though
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back