I also had my horses color tested

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meavey

Reaction score
Ridgehavens Cocoa the sire of my two champagnes was tested positive for silver so I went ahead and tested both of mine too.

Both my Chanel and Dobby have been tested positive for silver.

Now I know why their mane and tale where always so sunbleaced looking they had silver working in it too!

So Chanel is a classic champagne silver pinto.

She was already tested homozygous black.

And Dobby is a classic champagne cream silver, so 3 dilutions in one horse! :new_shocked:

Dobby was already tested positive for cream and heterozygous black with no agouti.

Also my new tovero mare Dance was tested positive for LWO and also homozygous black, she is obvious silver, so didn´t need to test for that.

I have 4 american mini´s and now al 4 are silvers!

Luckely I like silver, but secretly hope that Dance gives me a nice non-silver foal, or else I will have nothing but silvers in a few years, that might get boring! :bgrin

She is due in 3 weeks. :saludando:

Linda,

All of them are so beautiful!!!!

It is going to be neat now that this silver test is available to see just how very many minis have it. I think it will be huge!!!

Susan O.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

You horses are beautiful. Really neat

colors.

I have a question. (I'm just learning!!!!!)

I think this color stuff is FUN :bgrin

Dance, (really pretty, BTW!) she tested homozygous black??

She appears red and white. Is she a bay??

and

What makes her aboviously silver???

I'm so confused!!!!!
default_smile.png

~Sandy

Very interesting results! I guess there is an exception to the "rule" that silver always shows on black-- if it's a black champagne! (suppose that smokey cream would be hidden as well).

Lovely horses!!
default_wub.png
:

Hi,

You horses are beautiful. Really neat

colors.

I have a question. (I'm just learning!!!!!)

I think this color stuff is FUN :bgrin

Dance, (really pretty, BTW!) she tested homozygous black??

She appears red and white. Is she a bay??

and

What makes her aboviously silver???

I'm so confused!!!!!
default_smile.png

~Sandy
Dance is silver dapple tovero, just look at this summer pic:

9-06dancer.jpg

She could have been a very dark silverbay, cause her face is white so it would be hard to see if she had a bay muzzle, but she is not regular bay those are much more red in body color and have black mane and tail.

And the summer pic is clearly silver.

Silver only works on a black base so she is homozygous for black with a silver gene on top of that.

And she tested aa for agouti (wich makes a black a bay) so she doesn´t have it so she can´t be bay or bay based.

Her registration papers say brown and she was advertised as grey but she is a silver. ;)

Very interesting results! I guess there is an exception to the "rule" that silver always shows on black-- if it's a black champagne! (suppose that smokey cream would be hidden as well).

Lovely horses!!
default_wub.png
:
Yes I agree, It was already seen that a horse with both silver and cream often doesn´t have the typical silvery white mane and tail, cream probably restricts the dilute power of the silver.

And as shown on Chanel (who doesn´t have cream), it seems like champagne restricts silver too.

Would be nice to see if more champagne silvers show it like this too, or maybe there are some who do have white mane and tail.

Hi Linda,

You always have such beautiful horses!
default_wub.png
: How's Armani doing? My Echo is doing very well - he's REALLY come into himself this winter - I can't wait to see what I've got come spring.

Thanks for sharing the test results - very fun and interesting!

I am still getting to grips with the Champagne colouring and it's affects but it is true that Silver on Black is inhibited by the presence of Cream- it accelerates Greying and is inhibited by Cream, so it is possible that Champagne actually has an affect all it's own on Silver.

With all these different things going on in there I am absolutely SURE that Dance will throw you a nice plain chestnut colt- just like I got from Silver X Black!!! :eek:

With all these different things going on in there I am absolutely SURE that Dance will throw you a nice plain chestnut colt-
LOL Jane!!!! Truer words were never spoken!!!!!

LOL read girls! She was tested homozygous for black so no chestnut! :new_rofl:

She was bred by a chestnut pinto, but the foal will be black based for sure.
default_yes.gif
:

Hi Linda,

You always have such beautiful horses!
default_wub.png
: How's Armani doing? My Echo is doing very well - he's REALLY come into himself this winter - I can't wait to see what I've got come spring.

Thanks for sharing the test results - very fun and interesting!
Armani is doing great, big, fuzzy, and huge winter mohawk!
default_wink.png
:

I would like to say give him a kiss from his big brother but Armani doesn´t really like the male competition, LOL.

But just give him a kiss from me.
default_wink.png
:

I am still getting to grips with the Champagne colouring and it's affects but it is true that Silver on Black is inhibited by the presence of Cream- it accelerates Greying and is inhibited by Cream, so it is possible that Champagne actually has an affect all it's own on Silver.

With all these different things going on in there I am absolutely SURE that Dance will throw you a nice plain chestnut colt- just like I got from Silver X Black!!! :eek:
Silver and cream together make a convincing "pseudo-champagne" - even to skin color. With silver and cream so prevalent in miniatures, I can't wait for there to be a champagne test out to sort out everything for sure!
default_smile.png

Linda,

I cannot read any of it! haha

But I LOVE your website and all your gorgeous pictures!!

The natural unclipped photos of your mares especially I think are so beautiful!!!

But then I am a really "natural look" kind of person :)

Susan O.

No Silver Black + Cream make a very poor Silver- can easily be missed altogether.

As said, Cream inhibits Silver.

I have no problem with these colours I am just getting to grips with Champagne.

As Silver affects Grey and Cream in different ways it is also, therefore, more than possible that it also is affected by Champagne in a unique manner, was my point.

This guy is silver smoky black (lab tested!)....nothing pseudo about his coloration and his skin is black just like any other silver black. He is Ee aa nCr nZ and also nT and LWO negative.

mindbender2.jpg

I definitely think the champagne is the cause for the unusual variations in Meavey's horses!

I really appreciate all those who have shared the color test results of their horses. I think it helps us all to learn more about the genetics and the visual appearance of certain colors and combinations. I hope more will continue to post results. And, I hope more tests will be developed.
default_yes.gif
:

This guy is silver smoky black (lab tested!)....nothing pseudo about his coloration and his skin is black just like any other silver black. He is Ee aa nCr nZ and also nT and LWO negative.

mindbender2.jpg

I definitely think the champagne is the cause for the unusual variations in Meavey's horses!
Wow, he's stunning. I like him.
default_wub.png
:

Hey Linda,

Glad to see the champagne grandkids doing so good in Holland :saludando: I own the grandsire, Cocoa's sire(Owsley Forks M and Ms)...He is a gold pinto champagne with white mane and tail.His sire was a black and white pinto.. Go to the champagne registry and he is number 268. You will see many more of his offspring..

Take care and God Bless!

Jeannie at Bethel Minis, Tack, and Gift Shop in Ky.

Hey Linda, the kids are looking great! I was surprised to see Chanel carried silver, but when COCOA's little silver dapple girl Kizzy was born here, to a black mare, the "light bulb" went off why he didn't look "right" with just champagne and cream :eek: Since he was the first proven ch + cr = silver carrier, and now your babies, we can see the visual differences! Stay tuned for more of the series of champagne articles I talked Carolyn Shepard of the ICHR into writing for the new Miniature World Showcase magazine of Betty Teals..bet you see some pics you'll recognize :aktion033: and hopefully others will be able to understand the champagne gene, general genetics and how to identify the champagne mimics :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hi Sandii, yes I was surprised about Chanel too, but I always felt their mane and tail where so light, not like the classic champagne pictures I had seen, and now it makes sence.

I know a silver buckskin whom also has bright white mane and tail so indeed cream doesn´t affect silver all the time but it often does, and those horses get a dirty brownish looking mane and tail.

Will be nice to see if champagne has a difference when combined with silver too.

Latest posts

Back