HYSTERECTOMY.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBH

Reaction score
I need some info....Had a complete hyst. on Monday, July 26.....was told no driving for one week and no picking up anything more than 10-15 lbs.......got home Tues. and have walked, walked minis to pasture,, walked etc. not taking anything expecet ibuprofen 600, no pain no bleeding. talked to drs. office and asked a few questions.....they said no bending, stooping as they figure that your upper body weighs more than 10-15 lbs.....now how on earth can you put on undies without bending over......which leads to my question to you experienced ones that have had hsyt. ....... how did you feed and other animal things during the recoup process?? I also work from home so can rest when tired etc, take a nap and I feel like I never had surgery......

Good grief girl.........Don't you have anyone to help?????

Let your vet know and your feed store know that you need someone just for some basic stuff.......Do some TRADING or something.

Do you have family????

I have known some who were completely off their feet, needing tons of big time pain killers, and others who just took it in stride...

I felt so bad before mine, that afterwards was a piece of cake. I cannot take anything but plain old regular Tylonol, so have to put up with whatever pain comes, and to just get over it. I was in the hospital for a couple of days, and the day after getting home we drove over to PEI, (Husband did the driving...7 hours drive, and an hour on the ferry; each way) to pick up my first two miniatures.

But...You will definately need someone to do any lifting and lugging. I did my feeding, but had to have my husband bring down the hay. I could put it out, flake by flake, but wouldn't even use the wheel barrow... I learned to stay away from lifting and bending after I tore inner stitches and ended up with a bad infection, several years before. One of the worst things to do...beleive it or not...is sweeping the floor!!!

And no...you cannot drive. Even if you feel like you can...if you end up in an accident, your insurance will be worthless as you will be found to be "driving while impared".

Last edited by a moderator:

I was spayed a few months back, ;-), and after the first days of recovery I felt better than I had in months (not a brag -- I just really felt rotten before, so in comparison I felt great). I had to force myself to hold back on doing things.

Both my surgeon and my ob/gyn were shocked that a type I diabetic would be such a fast healer. They attributed it to the work I do every day, so that farmwork can pay off...

As for the stooping, it's much less strenuous than getting out of bed, and they urge you to do that immediately. They also said I shouldn't pick up my 6 lb. Maltese dog. That lasted 3-4 days...

I think they set the bar very low for rate of recovery, but don't push things. Pay attention to the doctors AND to what your body tells you.

Helpful hint for putting on undies without bending over--sit on edge of bed to get them on over you feet & up your legs, and then stand up & finish pulling them up!
default_biggrin.png
Sounds like you'll be back to normal in no time at all when you're doing so well already. Just be careful not to overdo it--it is possible to feel very well & so do too much, and then you pay for it a little later into your recovery.

Horse chores following surgery usually requires assistance from someone, for a little while at least.

I should say -- they never told me not to stoop, so I wasn't just being "stoop-id" ...

My surgeon knew about the horses, and I was under strict orders to only pet them. He understood the value of animal therapy and probably figured I'd be more likely to obey other instructions if I could at least cuddle the kids.

The biggest problem was keeping our humongous cat from jumping onto my abdomen -- I had to sleep with a cushion on my stomach.

Hey dont do ANYTHING other than cuddle your furkids (those that dont jump on to your lap!) Doing work or chores could lead to all sorts of complications that you really wouldn't want!

Think yourself lucky - over here in the UK they say no driving for 6 weeks after internal surgery!!
default_sad.png

Glad you are feeling good - take care!

Anna

Hey dont do ANYTHING other than cuddle your furkids (those that dont jump on to your lap!) Doing work or chores could lead to all sorts of complications that you really wouldn't want!

Think yourself lucky - over here in the UK they say no driving for 6 weeks after internal surgery!!
default_sad.png

Glad you are feeling good - take care!Anna
We are not allowed to drive a vehicle either...but can be driven. :) Let me tell you, they know what they are talking about. when I first was allwed to drive...I was very-very surprised at how much it took "abdominally" to push in the clutch and shange gears.
default_new_shocked.gif

I was not allow to pick up anything more than 5 lbs. Not allowed to drive for 4 weeks. They never said anything about stooping or bending. I did "overwork" a couple of stomach muscles getting out of bed.

I also have a lap kitty that was not happy he could not lay on me the first couple of weeks :)

I hope you recover quickly. DON'T OVERDO THINGS!!! REST and RELAX!! Maybe try sitting down to slip your undies/pants etc. on. Also, when I had mine done this past January, I was told to basically do NOTHING for the first 2 weeks, other than walk, and like you, no heavy listing. After that, I started adding little things slowly, to see how I'd feel. I know at one point I overdid it so had to stop that for awhile longer. I think it was vacuuming or sweeping or something. Just take it easy and let yourself heal!

You could go commando
default_laugh.png
or like the others said, sit on the bed and bring your feet up and slip on the pants. I mastered this after my most recent surgery and it isn't bad.

I sit with a small pillow on my belly in case one of the dogs decides to come flying up since they seem to favor landing right on the belly.

I think i am just frustrated at this point and not a very patient person........have been walking a bit and picking up poo in runs late at night when cool.....spending most of time in front of computer and in bed.......hubby took this week off but goes back next week and will line up some help. thanks,

Friend of mine had that surgery, was a tuff girl..felt good, went for a walk 2 blocks up felt like she couldnt make it back home and about passed out...her husband had gone to look...like what is she upto??

If JD hadnt gone hunting her, she would have had a time getting back home. That 'stunt' as JD called it....set her back healing couple weeks....just over did it too soon. SO...be careful!

I have had 4 major surguries but none were a hysterectomy and I was held together with a lot of staples and given the same orders as you. I did not listen to them one bit and I carried on business as usual, in pain hurting but just moving real slow. Two of those operations were emergency C sections and while doing chores after that last one, I actually did bust some of the staples right out, guts and weird things splilling out, stuff oozing, yukky and scary. I had to hold myself together with a towel and drive myself to the doctor. This was not fun! I learned a lesson so do not be a stubborn woman like me and follow the doctor's orders!

Ok, they tell you not to do things for a reason and I had someone come in and do chores. I was not even allowed in a car for 2 weeks, let alone drive anything. Most of the healing process is to AVOID adhesions and scar tissue. I had to have extensive surgery this year to fix a lot of that (and I DID behave after my hyst in 97)- the adhesions were so bad they were shutting down my intestines and digestive system. I am still having some problems and pain, so this year's surgery was not completely successful.

DONT PUSH IT- you will pay for it later!!! Get some help in there. Also you are still doing a lot of healing in there and dont want to rupture anything!!!

I have no staples but my hubby did on head injury and we thought it woudl be my turn this time for the staple plucker but I have some surgical glue they are using now and the 4 small incisions....I have gotten some help lined up when he goes back to work next week and am trying to be good. I am just stubborn and am taking it way easy compared to what I am used to doing......hubby put wheel on gate, and fixed some other things to make it easier......

Like Laurie (HG) said - try to stick to Dr's orders and don't overdo!

Yeah, Yeah, we are "horse people" and there are always things that we can do -- (I am not a very good patient either - supposed to be on crutches for a cracked fibia but those are just slowing me down so I hobble around without them and really pay for it at night when I finally sit still LOL) I ended up with some adhesions after I was spayed also - and they still twinge & hurt from time to time - so it really is BEST TO FOLLOW DR'S ORDERS ! !

I had my surgery the day before Christmas (Thurs) and was in the hosp till a couple of days afterwards, but I was treated like a queen while in the hospital since there weren't very many patients there. At home my hubby did take care of most of the stuff, but I know I was down in the barn and doing alot more than I should have been - went back to work after being off for only 10 calendar days -- trust me, driving a stick shift is NOT what you want to do - and living on a dirt road with potholes isn't very pleasant either!

Soooo - take it easy, go commando if it is simpler for you (who cares anyway - and you might actually like it LOL ! ! ! ) and don't do what all the rest of us have done and make things worse for yourself! ! !

Stac

I think part of the reason you need to not lift and all that stuff is so your bladder can heal in place. I have to go get my bladder restrung. If I ever make my appointment. Otherwise there ain't anything going up that driveway, if you know what I mean.

The others are so right follow the doctors orders. When I had my son I had him by c-section was not out the hostipal 2 weeks we took on some horses that needed help. all you could see was bones. We had 2 fillies and 1 colt that I had to take care of because the person that had them before us allowed them to cut the jaws so bad that you could see bones and teeth. So I would have to catch them and wash out the cuts and clean them up doing all this set my healing time back.

Then I was spayed too. went and got my mother to help me out after I had my Hysterctomy. They day after I got home she had to go back home so I had to ride 100 miles to take her back home. and I paided for that it set me back. I was in so much pain my Husband had to carry me out the car. At that point the pain killers did not help. had to go get a shot of pain meds from the doctors let me tell you that was not fun. I would go out to help with the horses but the only thing I could do was water.

Just dont over do it..

The funny thing about mine was I could not stand the sight of a man with out getting sick
default_smileypuke.gif
default_laugh.png

Just wait till you start having the HOT FLASHES I would freeze my family off in the winter time and the air came on in april.

My husband still picks at me that you can build a snowman in the house. if that tells you how cold i keep all year long

Good luck

I have been thru menopause so the hot flashes and night sweats are nothing new.......I am taking it easy...carry a bit of hay at a time to runs, lead one horse slowly to runs....I am like a little kid that thinks they are helping, have one week check on Tuesday afternoon and so ready to for that......oen down 5 to go......

Thanks for all the advice and stuff on this as I had no expreience at all with this type of thing and some of the advice and stories I heard was just strange........

Latest posts

Back