Husband Says He Doesn't Know Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngC

Reaction score
I'm not sure this complies with the rules for posting photos... but this is a pic of my husband kissing Baby. She maybe doesn't want to be kissed; she more probably just wants more "scrubby-scrubs" with those leather gloves.

I've been having a hard time handling the fact that Baby's father had an eye injury and now his vision appears to be signifianctly impaired. Despite that our little stud is still full of vim and vigor, but without me (or us) to accompany him he is appearing to be incapable of toodling around on his own. Everytime I look at his messed-up eye/s I just want to cry. Everytime, he runs into the stall wall, it breaks my heart. Everytime I set him up into his "going outside gear" ...etc.

....anyway, having my husband help has been a God-send. ...and for a guy that doesn't know squat about horses, my husband seems to be doing o.k. with Baby.

item.JPG

default_biggrin.png
Looks fine to me, looks like he's knows what's needed at just the right time.

Great husband.Horses with limited or no vision often do well with a buddy who will look out for them.I had a mare who lost her vision and her herdmates made sure she got in to the run in at night.I showed her where the water was and she made out fine.Don't know how this would work for a stallion.I'm sure you can figure out something to makie your little guy more independent.

Oh:( I'm sorry. Our old mare went blind and she had a couple foals that led her around for years. He will be happy!! I love the foal pic!!:p

Thank you all for replying. I just needed a "shoulder to cry on" for a moment. This has all been pretty overwhelming. Silly little things can burn you out, like keeping his stall clean; Nicky (and the others) always took care of business outside and then I'd scoop it in the tractor bucket for burial. Now he can't go outside and we're learning what works best for the stalls (pellets, shavings, straw, etc.) but still you have to get rid of it all and there's a burn ban on now. And the medications injected 4X per day; and the exercising because he is fat. It was just wearing me out. So... a genuine thank you for listening....

Have you tried getting a buddy for him and putting a small cowbell or jingle bells on the "seeing eye horse" so that he can follow the sound? I've heard this works excellent with horses whose own eyes are failing them and I've also heard of the "buddy" horse keeping watch over the impaired one. Just some food for thought.....oh and your little one is oh too cute!

I have an old horse that is now completely blind. He does great. I dont move things in his pen or put him in an area that he is unfamiliar with. Your horse only has troubled vision in one eye? He will adjust and adapt as time goes by. He will occasionally bump things but will learn to use his other senses on that side too to try to be more careful.

P.S. - Nobody who sees my old guy would even guess he is blind- he does great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for replying. I just needed a "shoulder to cry on" for a moment. This has all been pretty overwhelming. Silly little things can burn you out, like keeping his stall clean; Nicky (and the others) always took care of business outside and then I'd scoop it in the tractor bucket for burial. Now he can't go outside and we're learning what works best for the stalls (pellets, shavings, straw, etc.) but still you have to get rid of it all and there's a burn ban on now. And the medications injected 4X per day; and the exercising because he is fat. It was just wearing me out. So... a genuine thank you for listening....

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

So sorry to hear about your little stallion. Surely he will learn to cope better given time. May I ask what happened to his eyes?

Love the photo of hubby and baby. They are very kissable aren't they.......baby not hubby.

I understand what you mean by overwhelming. Sometimes I think I can't take any more but you just do...there is no alternative.....they need us.

Best wishes for you and your little stallion.

Awwwwww!! How sweet!

I hear you on the husband though! My guy tells EVERYONE "they're HER horses". Yet, to be perfectly honest, he handles them better and with much greater patience than I do. I watched him yesterday walk one of our 3 year olds up out the pasture with no halter, no lead, just him walking beside her with his hand/arm resting on her neck and giving her the "walk on" command. If she stopped, he'd give her a scratch and tell her to "come on Missy" and he had her up in the dry lot with no problem whatsoever. I love watching him out there with them.

we have a mare who had a field accident and had her eye removed. only the socket left. In time, with the help of a buddy initially they learn to adapt. The other eye becoming stronger. The hearing becoming even keener then it already is. Our mare if you didn't see the empty socket you'd never know she had a disability. In fact she's the boss mare of whatever pasture we put her in.

So sorry to hear about your little stallion. Surely he will learn to cope better given time. May I ask what happened to his eyes?

Love the photo of hubby and baby. They are very kissable aren't they.......baby not hubby.

I understand what you mean by overwhelming. Sometimes I think I can't take any more but you just do...there is no alternative.....they need us.

Best wishes for you and your little stallion.
Thank you for asking, Helicopter.

Lightning struck one of our cedar trees (150-200 ft.) It blew cedar shrapnel everywhere; there were 6-8 ft tall spikes stuck in the ground a foot or more deep. Cedar shrapnel blew everywhere. It carved ditches in the ground; split some fence posts and went back through the electric fence and blew two fence chargers. One of them was mounted high up on the wall in the barn but pieces went everywhere. (and it blew every GFI in the house and blew up stuff we're still finding, but none of that matter so much)

Right after, I checked the horsies. Coco and Baby were on that side of the pasture; and Baby used to like to sleep right at the base of the tree junction. I have no idea how they weren't hurt.

All our goobers seemed to be o.k. ....but then later Nicky's eye was all swollen. We had the vet in; he did what he could in the field and then we had to take Nicky to the hospital where a tube was placed in his eyelid through which medication was administered. He stayed there a bit and then he came home and we medicated him at home. The lavage system was only recently removed. He runs into the stall wall; he runs into everything. It is heart breaking. But..... I am perhaps being optimistic, but he seemed better today.

I thank all for the ideas about a companion. I am unsure where I will go from here. It has been suggested by a neighbor that I get a goat. My apologies to the goat lovers out there, but I'm not getting a goat.

The trauma is still very new for Nicky, after he fully recovers from the actual injury, it probably won't take him long to adjust to no sight in the injured eye and start getting around without bumping into things so often.

I LOVE the "Baby" pic w/ your hubby! AWESOME. I didn't get pics of my non-horsey hubby when he used to "pair around" with our first Shetland mare while puttering around doing farm work. He'd drop a hammer and Patty would pick it up and follow him then drop it when he stopped at a new spot and just hang out with him.

I was "flummoxed" when you stated that your little stallion couldn't go outside and get around and that he was bumping into the stall wall. I was having a hard time understanding - until you gave a lot more detail(s). When the tree "blew up" - could he have had his balance affected - by proximity (Sound/pressure wave) or by being struck by flying debri? Did he have an actual head injury besides the eye injury? Is the medicine still affecting him?

Time is one way of healing. I found that making too many changes to the "normal" care routine caused our mini/shetland colt to sink into a depression that affected him as he learned to cope/accept... I've copied what I sent to another poster on another forum - minus the pics. It explains some things we did w/ a colt and some background...

Our yearling colt, last year, got lice (think he was ground 0 for that). The vet thinks it was while rubbing on trees that he poked his eye - there were over 10 puctures. She wasn't sure what would happen and we opted to wait and see... Treated him for pain and possible infection - keeping an "eye" on his eye. We kept a flymask on him almost 24/7 for quite a while - until he showed a decided dislike of it and we were afraid he'd do further damage while rubbing it off. Kept it off for a while - until he "decided" he was ready for the fly mask again. When it drained and the flies, gnats and squitters were driving him mad - he allowed me to put it back on and left it alone. Got to the point he almost seemed to sigh in relief when I'd put it back on every morning... The eye shrunk and flattened out (very weird looking) and unlike the one on the right, didn't change from the light blue that it was to the amber/flecked that the right one became... Sometimes wish I'd had the eye removed.

He retained sight for almost a full year. Earlier this spring - right around the "year mark" from when the injury occured he became really spooky and was just irritable. Turned out, he was losing/lost the sight completely in the eye. It took several months for him to "come around". He still runs in the same paddock/pasture that he was in when got the injury - there are 5 boys in the "Boys Paddock". We never removed him from it - other than to bring him into the barn for grooming, vet, farrier work. As his eyesight got worse, he developed a very WEIRD way of moving with his head cocked to the left - wholly using his right eye to see everything with. But now, with the sight gone, he's straightening out his body and moving better. He's re-developed a sort of decent trot and has returned to dashing around with the other boys (as opposed to standing and just watching them run like twiddiots). I'm going to be working with him this fall - and will be trying out a surcingle and balancing side reins to see if can return him fully to moving more balanced and start ground driving him. I really think that he'll do fine now with driving - might have to do most outside driving in an open bridle to not restrict his one remaining eye - we'll see how that goes. Might not be a problem at all. We'll see!

The eye still weeps/drains occasionally - I clean it and have spent part of the summer putting his fly mask on in the AM and removing it in the PM. I can approach him now from either side when catching to feed him (for a while, he didn't want anything to do with anyone and it made it difficult!) - I just speak to him when I move up on his blind side. He's "scootched" under himself a couple of times when startled from the left - but has never kicked (I've not seen him kick out in the pasture either).

When I worked for the vet clinic, I was on hand to help with the removal of two different mares' eyes that came into the clinic. Both only had one removed, but one owner had an "eye marble" made and it was fitted to the eye socket and can't really remember how it was "kept in". It looked great - you couldn't tell physically, that she didn't have an eye at first or until you were up close (didn't blink, didn't have all the white schelera etc). Both required time to heal and to accustom themselves to being sightless. Both had been trained to ride (one was an OTTB - retrained for plearsure riding). One had been a broodmare and returned to both riding and broodmare duties with nothing special being done - she remained on pasture and was only stalled right before foaling (she aborted the foal she was carrying when she injured her eye originally). The other went home and returned to normal routines of stalling and paddock - though think she was kept by herself - at least while treating the empty eye socket until she learned to get around. DIdn't find out anything else about her...

If you'd like, I can add the pictures.

In reading the rest of your story, I'm sorry to hear of it. That's very stressful and trying. I'm glad that he has returned home. I'm sending healing vibes and "jingles" your way. Take care of yourself, too...

I am so sorry about your littke guy's injury.

That must have been around the time we got all that crazy weather here in the area.

We surely didn't have the type of damage you received but the lightning storm went on for

nearly 6 hours.

The photo of your hubby and baby are priceless.

He may think he doesn't 'know' horses but the photo shows different.

He very obviously know just fine horses, love, sympathy and empathy. Doesn't get any better than that.

Hope you 'all' are doing better with each day that passes.

Thank you all for the "well-wishes." I think things are going much better now. Nicky's vision is affected, but I really cannot tell how much. I cannot tell how much he is maneuvering by smell and hearing, vice sight.

We swapped pastures i.e. moved the mare and filly into the largest pasture area which is split up with electric fencing (but perimeter is white split rail wood.) We had hung tags every 6 inches on the electric fencing, but Nicky ran up against that fence a few times because he just couldn't see it (heck, sometimes I have trouble seeing it.) Now he is in a pasture that is fenced only with white split rail fence. He seems to be maneuvering around pretty good. The vision "area" that seems most affected now is straight down.... for example, I have observed him trip over the water bucket (size: approx. 3 ft diameter x 1 ft high.) For now, I am not doing anything regarding companions. (...he's not going out with the mare, because we don't need another baby; especially one that would be born so late.) He is able to "hang out" with them outdoors at several places where their fence lines meet, and they are next to each other in the stalls so he can hear them and smell them next to him in the barn.

An interesting thought.... There was a story on the news this evening regarding about 40 horses confiscated in Pierce County, WA that were being neglected. They said that the animals had "night eyes" from being kept in a barn and that their depth perception was affected. That story made we wonder that perhaps I am too impatient. While Nicky had the lavage system installed, he was indoors (except for occasional walks) at the vet hospital and then I was afraid to let him out except on the lead when he came home. He had an eye cup on and then when the tubing was removed from his eye, I kept a mask on him upon vet recommendation. (I left the lights on in the barn at night but fluorescents don't cast that much light.) So, I wonder how much that screwed up his vision and how long it takes for him to adjust.

Anyway... long story short... my trainer told me essentially, let it go; you can't protect him from every little eventuality. And now Nicky seems so much happier; he is roving around and is figuring things out on his own.

...Baby is awfully cute, isn't she? Some folks don't like that appaloosas change color, but I love it. She started getting white stardust sprinkles on her nose; now her entire nose is getting more and more white sprinkles, with darkness remaining around that eyes that make her look like a little racoon.

Mama's gonna keep baby healthy and clean.

Ooooh baby oooh baby oooh baby,

You'll always be baby to me.

I'm sorry about your stallion's vision... I hope you can find him a buddy to help him. Your picture of your sweet foal and your hubby is just the sweetest. I have a hubby like that. Not to horse savvy but he does give them good scratchies and smooches

Hope you feel better soon (((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))

Latest posts

Back