Hummingbird nectar

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic

Reaction score
I've always bought the premade mixes for hummingbird nectar before, but I'm out right now and can't go shopping til these last two mares foal (IF they ever foal-- at 352 and 353 days now, I'm beginning to doubt!). But I want to have nectar ready for the hummingbirds for when they start showing up, whenever that will be. Can anyone tell me the mix of sugar to water that I need to use? and is there any advantage to using the commercial mixes, is it any better for the birds? thanks!!

I don;t know if there is a "standard" mixture or not, but in my 4 cup measuring cup I put in 1 cup of sugar then add about a cup HOT water and stir until it dissolves some, then fill to the 4 cup mark with cold water. I do the same all summer, but I have read where you can start out sweeter(to bring them in) and slowly reduce the amount of sugar with each refill. The main thing is the color. I used to add red food coloring, but instead, I now use red colored feeders so it always looks like the liquid inside is red.

I do 1 sugar to 4 water (guess that's the same as what Mona said). I used to put red food colouring in, too, but thought it might be bad for them (and the sugar isn't? LOL), so now it's just clear. I don't think it really matters to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was always told 1 sugar to 8 parts water or it's too strong? We didnt use food coloring either... the flowers or color on the feeder will attract them, not the color of the food.

It is a 1 to 4 ratio. Here is a site with all the instructions:

http://kern.audubon.org/hummer_feeding.htm

Have fun! We have three breeding pairs on our place. We had to put feeders at the front and the back of our house we had so much fighting going on! he male hummers are like tiny stallions!

default_laugh.png

Thank you everyone, and thank you Kellie for that link, it's awesome!

Here's hoping everyone a happy hummingbird summer!
default_laugh.png

I love them- saw one in the yard the other day and have planted a couple of plants to help attract/feed them- like honeysuckle! My Mom always fed the birds, both grain eaters and the hummers and we have always enjoyed watching them. They are so cute. Thanks for the correction and the article on the recipe!

It is a 1 to 4 ratio. Here is a site with all the instructions:
http://kern.audubon.org/hummer_feeding.htm

Have fun! We have three breeding pairs on our place. We had to put feeders at the front and the back of our house we had so much fighting going on! he male hummers are like tiny stallions!

default_laugh.png
The males hummers are like tiny stallions!!! I will have to tell hubby and the kids that, its so true! LOL!!!
default_laugh.png

We have always fed 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water. Its also important to keep the feeder clean - if the food starts turning cloudy its time for fresh food. We have heard too not to color their food so we have always left it clear. We get so many of them we have to put several out around the house. We really enjoy watching them every summer!

Latest posts

Back