How Young Can A Colt Reproduce

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
default_saludando.gif

My colt is now 5 1/2 months old and I want to know if it's ok to have him out with my mares. He was EXTREMELY studdish when he was with his mom up until a month and a half ago, even actually breeding her (not just mounting, actually breeding!)! I weaned him and have had him in with my gelding whom has nicely put him right in place! He is a changed man now and I haven't seen his penis since I weaned him! lol

Anyway, I added my two mares into the mix yesterday and they all got along great!!! One of the mares is much more playful with him then the gelding so I would like to keep them this way UNLESS there is ANY remote chance he could actually reproduce if he decided to get frisky with her (although he towers over her so don't think it would be very easy for him! she's 28" and he's about 34")!!!???? What's the absolute earliest age that he could??? He is out of my rescue mare, Freedom, so I don't actually know who his sire is, what if he's a warmblood (lol) would that make a difference in the age thing?

He will be gelded soon but in the meantime I would like to keep them all together if it's safe!

Thanks a bunch!

Tammy

Whether he can or can't actually get her in foal, I think I would be more concerned about the mare being harassed by him and the potential damage to the mare (and to his legs).

we have had a young yearling colt breed a young yearling mare before, definitely accidentally we just let them out to play and next thing we know they are breeding and we had the vet out to check it out later and sure enough she was in foal. Now we separate everything as a weanling!

I have heard of a 10 month old getting a mare in foal so nothing surprises me.

Does anyone know if that actually happens if the foal can still be registered?

I have a very sexy farm! All my colts would hump their mothers and everyone else from a few days old. My 09 colt Blaze actually appeared to be doing the whole deed for a while there at 2-3 months but he was so tiny he couldn't reach the target. I really couldn't believe what I was seeing but it looked serious.

Then just one day he quit doing it and found other ways to play with the girls. He's 6 months old now and I haven't seen him doing it, even in playing now for a long time. That's a good thing because I want to leave him out with all the mares for as long as possible before I have to separate him for good. He is still itty bitty and will probably remain super tiny so I don't think I have a lot to worry about just yet. Time will tell. I have to keep an eye on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of a 10 month old getting a mare in foal so nothing surprises me. Does anyone know if that actually happens if the foal can still be registered?
No, Marty, it can't. The sire has to be at least two years old in order to register the foal (assuming both parents are registered, obviously).

I do not know about mini colts but I know of a morgan mare that was successfully bred by her 6 month old colt!!!! The owner aborted the fetus...
default_no.gif

Pretty sure AMHA would let you register the foal!!

My concerns would not be whether or not the colt could get her in foal, but what this would be teaching the colt.

If the mare was tolerant it would teach him to be a bully, if the mare was not tolerant it could well teach him how to become dog food!

Not a good idea, either way.
default_wink.png

I have heard of a 10 month old getting a mare in foal so nothing surprises me. Does anyone know if that actually happens if the foal can still be registered?
No, Marty, it can't. The sire has to be at least two years old in order to register the foal (assuming both parents are registered, obviously).

AMHR has the age requirement. Unless things have changed, AMHA does not.

A yearling colt could impregnate, even if at least one testicle was only partially dropped.

I was going to post a similar question. Tucker is 6 months old now and hasn't dropped both sides yet, so I can't get him gelded. I wanted him gelded asap so he'd not have to be separated from the girls, especially if Jazz sells like I think is about to happen. I keep putting off pasturing Tucker and Jazz together, but it sounds like either way he'll be spending some time alone.
default_sad.png
He's never ever acted studly at all. He's never jumped on a mare--well, except a few jumps to hang out on the side of his mom when he was a baby.

Rats. How will I know when it's time to separate?

Thanks everyone for your replys! Guess I won't be risking it! Until he is gelded I will just let him play when I am there to supervise otherwise he will only be with my 3 yr old gelding. I am not worried about my little mare getting hurt, well not anymore worried then when any of them are playing together! They are all very gentle and easy going! They have all taught the colt to be that way too now. They are a great group. They all hung out together for almost 2 hours today while I was watching and they were GREAT, absolutely no nonsence, not even a flirty look! The colt is fitting in nicely!!!!

Thanks again!

Tammy

Karla,

Depending on the age of the colt, we tend to separate in January. If we have a colt born in the Fall of the previous year, we wait.

Our mares tend to go into heat in March.....but it's always good to play it safe.

Ma---

Latest posts

Back