How to remove your name from search engies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I want to remove my name is I search it under google or uahoo. Any suggestions?? I have contact the web masters and it is still thier. I am sure thier is software or something I can do!!!!

What "webmasters" are you referring to? The people at the search engines themselves?
default_unsure.png
I'm afraid they can't do anything to remove your name from search results.

You can make any social media profiles you have unsearchable, but there's really no way I know of to remove yourself from the web entirely. Your name is just a combination of letters and any time that combination shows up, be it on show results, a horse's ownership listing, a "sold to so-and-so" note on a breeder's website, etc., it will come up when someone searches for it. Some of those things can't be edited even if the individual website owners were willing.

Sorry! If you live a fairly quiet life you usually won't be listed more than once or twice, if it's any comfort. I could search for pages without finding my dad or my boyfriend!
default_laugh.png

Leia

I agree, I don't think you can ever "remove" yourself totally from the web...I've found myself on things I didn't ever do online, like excerts from newspapers: a bowling championship I was in, obits of family members where my name was mentioned, etc....

I can google my name and 6 pages of links come up w/my name in them...I don't really like it, but alot of it is things I've done...facebook, here, other forums.

My name comes up applying for a marriage licence in 1971 with Wilbarger County in TX. Not sure why my husband's name was not on that also, except that I was underage and he wasn't. It must have triggered some sort of statistic.

His name comes up as winning a $50 drawing at a Rural Electric meeting.

The more information transferred to digital medium the more we will find ourselves on the web.

My name comes up for horse, political and business reasons but isn't a concern to me. However, I have actually seen commericals for agencies that claim to be able to clean up your internet visibility. If I hear one again, I'll pay more attention and pass the information along.

I've seen those ads as well, Jill - but I doubt that they can really do anything besides take your money from you. Zoey - it is next to impossible to "erase" yourself if you do email, have a website, use forums, run ads for horses on assorted websites, have a phone number etc. You leave a trail everytime you go online. Search engine "webmasters" cannot change that. I note that on your website, you congratulated people (using their full names) on their purchases - maybe if you are so concerned about personal info being on the internet. you should not use their names. Just a suggestion.
default_smile.png

I googled me - and there is a lovely young lady with my name in Ohio who sells some kind of vitamins/cosmetics and has two kids, mentions of me in connection with therapeutic riding centers where I have volunteered and taught, links to horse shows I have announced (including one gawdawful photo after a long hot day in the glass announcer's booth), dog sport activities, Facebook etc. Nothing scandalous. Quite boring, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
You also wont be able to remove things that are a matter of public record- purchases of property, sales of the same, etc....

I am not happy to find my info out there in some ways either, but can't do much about it. I dont think you are going to be able to remove it all either. I understand your dilemma but I agree, the more the world puts news articles and other things on the internet- everyone gets exposed like it or not.
default_no.gif

Unfortunately it's one of those things that we just have to deal with the issues that come of it if/when they happen, which doesnt always make life pleasant.

Tag, I'm not concerned about my own use of my name online at all
default_biggrin.png
Believe it or not, I never say anything on the computer I don't say face to face, and nothing that I don't stand behind
default_smile.png
I'm also not worried about using full names to congratulate horse purchasers on my sales page... I figure if anyone didn't want to be outed for buying one of my horses, they'd have let me know by now
default_yes.gif
I was just trying to help Zoey, if it's even possible to reverse what concerns she herself has
default_smile.png

Tag, I'm not concerned about my own use of my name online at all
default_biggrin.png
Believe it or not, I never say anything on the computer I don't say face to face, and nothing that I don't stand behind
default_smile.png
I'm also not worried about using full names to congratulate horse purchasers on my sales page... I figure if anyone didn't want to be outed for buying one of my horses, they'd have let me know by now
default_yes.gif
I was just trying to help Zoey, if it's even possible to reverse what concerns she herself has
default_smile.png

No worries, Jill - my comments about using purchasers' names on the website were directed at zoey, not you. I also never say anything online that I would not say face to face. Unfortunately, here at LB and on other horse forums, I now just use my tagalong ID simply because in the past, a couple of "special" members here actually contacted my employer/the farm owner to complain about some benign comment I had made on LB - and not even a political one.
default_wink.png
It was a bit... no, more than a bit - VERY... bizarre. Add to that a series of very strange and unsettling PMs... and I deleted all links to the farm website etc. (there is one suggestion for you, zoey) - but almost everyone in this area knows who I am, anyway. No big secrets there. And every so often I have to share in the fun of horses' wins or new foals etc. - so much for "secrecy"!!
default_laugh.png

Now, if I had my own place - there would be links all over the place!
default_yes.gif

I understand, Tag. There's no shortage of odd, petty, jealous and trouble making people (several better descriptions come to mind!) on internet message boards, even here. There have been some real doozies I remember especially from years past.

Nothing you can do. If the information is out there, it will get spidered and that's pretty much the end of it.

You can always try a court order to try to get your name "blacklisted" but that's barely enforceable even if you can get one written up.

As a point of interest, the previous Miss America's name was Kirsten Haglund. My name is Kristen Haglund. I get her fanmail. I wonder if she gets my fanmail. Which would be hilarious, because she's ultra right wing Christian conservative, and I'm well... not.

LOL Kristen!! There are some things you just can't get removed, so it would be a no win battle really. Just try to be careful and hopefully the loonies will move on and pick on someone else- or learn their lesson and leave people alone.

Latest posts

Back