How to keep track of show placings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
So how do you keep track of show placings, especially at multi-judge shows? There are only 3 of us, showing 6 horses in all kinds of events, and I have to admit, I cannot keep track of who placed where under which judge! Other than championships, I have to wait until results show up on AMHR site to figure it back out. . . .

How does anyone else do it? I see lots of people with clipboards, but to tell the truth, if I tried that, I think we'd lose the sheets LOL. Any other great ideas out there? Is there an APP for that LOL

an App what a thought. I wish there was. I try to grab the ribbons and write on the back the number in the class and which horse etc. before I forget.

there needs to be an app for that, lol. one that you can input classes as you enter and then check off if scratched and easily input as you place...you might could customize a to-do list some how like in Cozi or some other app? Clipboard or on the ribbons was how we always kept track. My mind could keep track of the last 3 or 4 classes I was in so I could stop every few classes and write it down. Now that's for just me...don't ask me to remember other people's placings, lol, unless I came in 2nd and they were first, lol.

I'm with you, if they give out ribbons you can write on the back, but most shows we attend now give out show bucks, and they are laminated. We used to try writing it down, but always miss something when you are standing ringside, holding, controling, grooming, etc. I just had someone ask a few days ago how my filly did at the spring show and my answer was very vague, as I had to keep saying, I think she got second from this judge, and so on and so forth.

Get a white marker board, and before you start showing write down the horses' names and class they are in. When you come back from the ring, IMMEDIATELY put his placing in the space next to his name. After the show, take a pic with your phone and bingo- there you are!

Field of dreams - Thanks! I'll try that at the next show!

also found a spreadsheet phone app - may try that too. . .

I'm glad you posted about this because we're getting ready to go to our first AMHA/AMHR show and didn't realize this would be a problem. I guess I'm more spoiled than I thought. When we show AQHA we get a print out of all our placings when we check out at the end of the show.

Barefootin, what a GREAT service to be provided with! And since everything is on the computer anyways...

Yes, but even with that - if you haven't tracked how you /that horse placed - how do you verify that the points/placings are right? I've found some discrepancies in my last years' points on one of my ponies that was handled by a trainer at shows I didn't go to. Wow, try tracking that!! and then finding what you think are mistakes...

I do love the idea of the "board" but when I attended shows last year w/ the trainers - 1/2 the time they didn't ever return to the stalls. They had horses brought up by anyone who could recognize the right horse that was prepared and run them up while running someone else back... Learned a lot but also developed a lot more questions, LOL. And really came to appreciate what they all do!

I make up a sheet beforehand with each of the horses' names and class numbers on it and then have that hanging on a clipboard, with a pen attached (that can't be taken off-you'd be amazed at how easily a pen can be "lost" otherwise!). I think it is really important and it came in handy just recently when I was checking the AMHR results from our first show this season and one of our stallions wasn't even listed in the results for the stallion class!! It ended up that there were two stallions in that class that hadn't been inputted into the computer and had I not been checking, who knows if they would have ever been found!!

We use the class list that has been previously highlighted with our classes and each has the horses name beside. After each class we write the placings beside the class. The trick is to make sure you remember. or take a pic of person ribbons and horse as they come out of the ring???

Think I got it! I downloaded a spreadsheet app, did a basic spreadsheet with class name / horse down one side for all horses / classes. Then just added judges names in columns. When I came out of the ring, I put in the number of entries and the placings for each judge. Worked great! Plus, I can use the same spreadsheet for multiple shows, just adding columns for new judges! Yay me LOL

Latest posts

Back