how to feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood mini

Reaction score
New to horses, we have three minis. Previous owner fed one cup of purina senior plus one pat hay per horse per day. They are put to grass pasture each day. 36 " Mare is starting to get too thin, 36"younger stallion is just right, 32" stallion has huge pot belly. All three are between one to two years old with 36" stallion being the youngest.

Vet said to be very careful not to let them get too heavy because they tend to do that and then get health problems.

I feel that I should do something different for the mare and should try to get that pot belly off the little one.

Do mares lose weight when they are in season? I can see her hips and am starting to see ribs just barely.

Hopefully some others will chime in. I believe most horse owners feed atleast twice a day. The amount really varies on each horse,good job realizing the differences. Pot belly can mean worms or malnourishment. How old are they? Make sure they also have salt and mineral available. Feel free to ask questions,hope to see ya around
default_saludando.gif

Sadly I find that there are a good many people who are afraid to feed their Minis enough. They get warned "do not feed too much" but almost never does that warning come with the second part: "but be sure to feed enough". And since the person giving the warning most often does not give any indication of how much is too much--the horses end up being given too little.

Most of my horses are in the 35" to 38" range, with the majority of those being 36" to 37". Most of them are not getting any grain, but they are out on pasture--very sparse pasture--they get a bit of grass to pick but not enough to make any real difference to their feed intake. They get hay twice a day--generally two flakes each 2x a day. My bales average 60-65 lbs and one bale feeds 10 horses one meal. So, each of these horses is getting roughly 12 lbs of hay per day. This isn't real rich hay; it is grass (timothy/crested wheat/brome) with a bit of alfalfa. It was baled in good shape but did have one rain on it prior to baling, so it's a bit dry and not "the best" in terms of nutrients. If it was really green, rich hay then they would not get quite so much. As it is, though, if I were to feed them the amount you give, they would lose weight & be much too thin. These are all mature horses.

For my yearlings --2 are 32" , 1is 34" and and 1 is 36--they are getting grain (rolled oats)...almost 2 litres each twice a day, plus all the hay they can eat--and their hay is 2nd cut alfalfa w/a fair bit of fine grass mixed in. Two year olds are 36.5" and 37" and have more tendency to get fat, so they are on grass hay (pretty much all they want to eat) and grain--and likewise, they get almost 2 litres of rolled oats twice a day. They are nicely rounded over the top line--you won't see thin horses or big bellies here. The ones I'm showing are being worked, and they're muscling up nicely and starting to be just in the condition I like to see.

If I want to put weight on (for instance, on your mare that you say is getting thin), I replace part of the ration of rolled oats with a pelleted feed. I use Frontrunner, and like their 14% pellets. My 3 year old Shetland mare is hard one to keep weight on--she is out with the Minis and needs more/better feed to stay up at her ideal weight. I bring her in once a day & give her grain--half oats, half 14% pellet--and it's working well--she is starting to round out over her topline & I'm now very pleased with her condition. A friend recently asked me about putting weight on a young QH gelding--he wasn't thin, but just didn't have the bloom the owner wanted to see. I suggested the Frontrunner 14% pellets--he's had the horse on these pellets for a few weeks now & said the horse is just right, good weight, good bloom.

Sadly I find that there are a good many people who are afraid to feed their Minis enough. They get warned "do not feed too much" but almost never does that warning come with the second part: "but be sure to feed enough". And since the person giving the warning most often does not give any indication of how much is too much--the horses end up being given too little.
Most of my horses are in the 35" to 38" range, with the majority of those being 36" to 37". Most of them are not getting any grain, but they are out on pasture--very sparse pasture--they get a bit of grass to pick but not enough to make any real difference to their feed intake. They get hay twice a day--generally two flakes each 2x a day. My bales average 60-65 lbs and one bale feeds 10 horses one meal. So, each of these horses is getting roughly 12 lbs of hay per day. This isn't real rich hay; it is grass (timothy/crested wheat/brome) with a bit of alfalfa. It was baled in good shape but did have one rain on it prior to baling, so it's a bit dry and not "the best" in terms of nutrients. If it was really green, rich hay then they would not get quite so much. As it is, though, if I were to feed them the amount you give, they would lose weight & be much too thin. These are all mature horses.

For my yearlings --2 are 32" , 1is 34" and and 1 is 36--they are getting grain (rolled oats)...almost 2 litres each twice a day, plus all the hay they can eat--and their hay is 2nd cut alfalfa w/a fair bit of fine grass mixed in. Two year olds are 36.5" and 37" and have more tendency to get fat, so they are on grass hay (pretty much all they want to eat) and grain--and likewise, they get almost 2 litres of rolled oats twice a day. They are nicely rounded over the top line--you won't see thin horses or big bellies here. The ones I'm showing are being worked, and they're muscling up nicely and starting to be just in the condition I like to see.

If I want to put weight on (for instance, on your mare that you say is getting thin), I replace part of the ration of rolled oats with a pelleted feed. I use Frontrunner, and like their 14% pellets. My 3 year old Shetland mare is hard one to keep weight on--she is out with the Minis and needs more/better feed to stay up at her ideal weight. I bring her in once a day & give her grain--half oats, half 14% pellet--and it's working well--she is starting to round out over her topline & I'm now very pleased with her condition. A friend recently asked me about putting weight on a young QH gelding--he wasn't thin, but just didn't have the bloom the owner wanted to see. I suggested the Frontrunner 14% pellets--he's had the horse on these pellets for a few weeks now & said the horse is just right, good weight, good bloom.

yes, they have minerals and salt available at all time, their hay is available at all times too. I was thinking maybe I need to give them the beets I keep reading about. Don't know how to do it. So I need to add oats, don't know why but I thought i read not to. The purina senior is a pelleted feed. I did worm them in April.

If you have a means to weigh their feed, that would be best. Not all flakes of hay weigh the same, not all cups of feed weigh the same. Horse in general need 1.5-2.5% of their bodyweight in feed per day, so a 300# mini would need an average of 6# of feed per day, most of which should be hay (senior feed is usually a complete feed with forage included, so you can safely feed more of it, and it works well if you have problems finding good hay).

For example, my own herd, which are mostly B-size minis around 300-350#: My maintenance group get 1/2# ration balancer, 1/4 cup BOSS and 5-8# grass hay daily (more hay in winter, less in summer - usually around 1-3 flakes 2x day). [Ration balancer is a concentrated feed product that provides protein, vitamins and minerals to balance your hay/forage; usually comes in a formula to either balancer grass forage or alfalfa.] The ration balancer comes out to 2/3 cup 2x daily, as 2/3 cup hold 4 oz (2/3 cup 2x daily = 4oz X 2 = 8oz). I have weighed all the hard feeds I use, and know what my scoop holds, I haven't been weighing my hay as much lately, but at the moment they look good on what they are getting.

My horses as pasture pets so they have a pretty simple feeding plan.

The 3 adults get fed Legends Grown & Perform in the morning. I give them 4 cups and they share out of a tough. Then depending on the hay they get 1-2 flakes. Sometimes 3 depending on the hay and size.

The yearlings are kept seperate and are fed the same grain. 2 cups each. Then 1-2 flakes of hay. They are turned out pretty much everyday when the weather is nice.

At night the 3 adults are just fed 2-3 flakes of hay. If they have been out on grass, just one flake as they just waste it.

The yearlings have the same feed routine at night.

For winter everyone is fed grain twice a day and they are doubled up on hay.

I've tried different feeds and so far I like the legends grow and perform. I used to use the senior feed on my old gelding and I swear it never helped in keeping his weight on. Originally my horses were on trotter, but I was unhappy with that. I tried the platform mini feed and I was actually happy with that, but I was going through alot more feed. I had put my mare on the Legends mare & foal and I was very happy with how she was developing during her pregnancy. So I decided to switch everyone to the legends. like I've said I'm very happy with it.

thanks, how do you keep them all equally fed if they use the same trough...my mare tends to rule the food so I feed them each in their own tub. I also don't have separate stalls for them yet. I was trying to feed the pot bellied one different but its hard. Isn't the senior pellets the same as hay? I'm really starting to get confused.

the senior feed actually has beet pulp in it so it does have some of the same effect as hay, fiber and roughage. It is hard when you have to feed them together because inevitably the dominant one gets chubby and the least dominant gets thin, but if it is possible to tie them up just at graining time, then let them loose for hay but scatter it around a bit that would help some. I don't have the bigger minis so can't give advice on amounts, there are people much better qualified to answer that question than I am
default_wub.png

thanks, how do you keep them all equally fed if they use the same trough...my mare tends to rule the food so I feed them each in their own tub. I also don't have separate stalls for them yet. I was trying to feed the pot bellied one different but its hard. Isn't the senior pellets the same as hay? I'm really starting to get confused.
If one seems to not be getting enough I have a seperate pen for feeding that I will seperate them. My mare is the dominant one, I then have a younge mare and a senior gelding. The gelding and the younge mare are easy keepers so they don't require alot of grain. My mare is up and down depending on the feed. Being the boss of the herd she gets more of her share and it balances out the others. I've been lucky to have horses that balance eachother out. But like I said if it seems someone need more or less I build a small feeding area.

The babies are fed together but in seperate buckets.

If you have a means to weigh their feed, that would be best. Not all flakes of hay weigh the same, not all cups of feed weigh the same. Horse in general need 1.5-2.5% of their bodyweight in feed per day, so a 300# mini would need an average of 6# of feed per day, most of which should be hay

I agree, weighing hay and pellets works best for me. I picked up a meat scale at THE BASS PRO SHOP and I weigh everything that my horses eat, (mini or saddle horse) and determine the ration by their weight and take 1.5 - 2.5% of their body weight.

It was hard for me to eye it since bales and flakes are never the same. Takes the guessing out of it. I guess pasture horses would be a different world though.

Latest posts

Back