How to Ensure Your Vet Likes You; Better Service

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this list and can say some of these should be used for farrier services too! I have been doing local mini equine farrier services since 2004 and I can say that some of the above bug me too!!! LIKE...

* Be prepared for my arrival...

* Have your horse caught before I get there. I dont want to waste energy chasing yours horses.

* Halters PLEASE!!! I hate that not only are horses running loose BUT the owners have either no halter or leads anywhere!

* Halter broke horses would be nice too.

* Dry areas to work in. And if its rainning or snowing, its nice to work inside not in the rain/snow.

* BE THERE! I hear so many new clients complain that their old farriers would never show on time or at all, so I expect the same as well.

* I dont mind being asked questions and explaining what Im doing or even showing a owner how to trim, BUT if you dont do regular trims and your horses feet and they are super long and most times foundered, dont expect them feet to be super short and perfect in one trim. It took time for them feet to get in that condition, and in some cases it can take time to fix them as well.

* Dont argue with me about my prices I charge. I am very reasonable and will not go cheaper just because you think you deserve a discount for having 3 or more horses. I do this cause I love to do it and help folks and their horses out, not because I need more practice and have nothing better to do with my time.

* If you ask me to be honest with my opionion and any advice, dont get offended when I give it.

* Make sure you have plenty of time for my services! Dont make plans to be somewhere else with-in 15 minutes after my arrival and expect me to be done in that few minutes time fram, I want to make sure I compleate my job properly and correctly. Not being rushed cause you have a tanning appointment or whatever.

* Please no excusses when it comes to payments. It was already dicussed before my arrival as well as the total.

Here are some things that I totally apperciate from my clients and are always nice to have or recieve...

* Friendly clients and their company. I love to talk minis and hear all your stories/experiances too!

*Offered a drink on them really hot days!

* Tips!

* Referances (telling their friends about my services)

* Helping handling their horses

* Apperciating my services (It always feel good when I leave a farm with some good comments about my services)

* Asking questions and getting some one on one learning tips on your horses feet.

* Trades! I will always consider trades for services. Everyone can save a few $$$ and Im always ready to bartar with stuff other then $$$.

Hope this helps in the farrier department too for some of ya'll!

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked for a vet back in the 70's. He is retired now, but he was the most awesome guy to work for, I would have practically worked for free, he was soooooo nice very talented and everybody loves him. Working for him was the best job I ever had and I learned so much about people from him.

One thing that stuck in my mind forever was a couple of senior citizen clients he had that were very cash poor. I remember him telling me not to collect the money for their bill to put it in a drawer. I watched those two elderly people bring tomatoes, veggies, fruit, apples and all sorts of items obviously grown in a home garden. He would share the fruits and veggies with all of us and he would tell the client that they had the best veggies in the state. Somehow the bill charge magically disappeared.

People would wait for hours to see him, he always had time for everybody and I never heard anyone complain about waiting, because every person got individual attention and lots of cool stories and sports chat and emergency life threatening situations were handled first.

I remember him being frustrated when someone would drive up in their BMW with their $200 boots on and open their designer handbag and take out a spay certificate to pay for their surgery. He never said anything to the client though, he was polite, nice and treated them with respect even when they could well afford to pay full price for the surgery. I learned to have more patience and humor and I will respect his philosophy forever. He is a true gem.

An amusing story for you all coming out of my memory banks..... A client brought her dog in for a nail trim. Client was very well dressed and client was wearing a tube top (quite the fashion statement in the 70;s). Anway. I was asked to assist to hold the dog for the nail trim. As his nails were being trimmed, the dog went bonkers on the table and ended up pulling the tube top completely down on the client causing her boobs to pop right out in full view for all of us in the room.
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked My chin dropped to the ground and I was stunned at what had just happened. My vet in perfect composure says to me, can you please hold the dog for Mrs Jones please?

I hold the dog and the lady pulls her tube top back up to cover herself again. I held the dog for the rest of the nail trim.

My vet just smiles and his composure was amazing...

My chin was on the ground, I swear I couldn't say a word, as I stand there waiting for the bill wondering if he would say anything at all he just continued on like nothing happened...

Client goes to waiting room and then my vet starts filling out the bill itemization and he hasn't said one word about the incident, but I know he knows I am totally shocked out of my brain. He fills out the amount for the office call and gets to the nail trim line and he writes "no charge"... then winks and says in a whisper, "I just can't charge for that"... oh my. LOL. That was 36 years ago and it is still funny.
default_laugh.png
You should have been there. knee slap.. chuckle...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 vet clinics I use and it works well for me. My regular clinic I use for all my animals and have for 17 years. It has been hard for them to recruit vets with as many clients as they have so I need to be mindful of their time. I always take the horses in unless it is an emergency and they can't be moved. Remember that they have far more equipment at the clinic than they can carry in the truck so I feel my animals get better service if I can take them in. I have 10 years as a vet tech and 25 years as a nurse and do most of my own vet care so if I have an emergency they know it is an emergency. If I have an animal in a critical situation, I am an active member because I understand the medical condition and the vets respect my input and they don't have to convince me of what is the best method of treatment. They also have a standing order that if things turn for the worse to euthanize my animal and tell me later. I don't want my animals to suffer and I have full confidence that they will do their best but it is a fact of life that at a certain point they aren't going to live.

The vet that owns the clinic has become my friend over the years and when I had my heart attack and a 4 month old colt coliced 2 days after I got out of the hospital I physically wasn't able to care for him so I called her out to euthanize him. She was upset that I had had a heart attack and took the colt back to the clinic. Her agreement was that if she could save him she would give him back, if not would euthanize him. He didn't make it and I never was billed for her time and effort. That is what I call a good relationship with your vet.

The other clinic I use is exclusively an equine hospital and the vets in the area frequently refer to them if it is something they can't handle or they have better knowledge for treatment. I know that if I have a colic and have treated my horse aggressively at the first sign and have to give a second dose of banamine then I go straight to that clinic. They are very good at getting horses through a colic but also have the facility to go straight to surgery if indicated.

I am very lucky it have good vet care in my area but I don't abuse it and they are there for me if I really need them.

Back