How on earth do you ship a CART???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
Hello all...

I am buying a cart in Ohio, and need it shipped to California. It's a pony size two wheel cart (not mini size). Since I also bought a pony in Illinois, I figured it would be easiest for one shipper to pick both up and drop off at the same destination.

WELL...

The shippers who have contacted me back won't ship a cart, just the pony.

Have any of you found anyone willing to ship a cart across the country? I would love professional shipper references.

Also, I'm willing to pay! It's not like I expect someone to haul it over here for $100...

Thanks,

Andrea

We had our cart shipped cross country by UPS. Came in excellent condition...Mary

Hello all...

I am buying a cart in Ohio, and need it shipped to California. It's a pony size two wheel cart (not mini size). Since I also bought a pony in Illinois, I figured it would be easiest for one shipper to pick both up and drop off at the same destination.

WELL...

The shippers who have contacted me back won't ship a cart, just the pony.

Have any of you found anyone willing to ship a cart across the country? I would love professional shipper references.

Also, I'm willing to pay! It's not like I expect someone to haul it over here for $100...

Thanks,

Andrea

Is this a fully put-together cart? I do understand that easy-entries and disassembled carts can be boxed and shipped freight... but would guess a show cart would need to be crated?

Andrea

Will the cart come apart at all? An easy entry cart, for instance, ships in 2 or 3 boxes--CTM will ship one of their carts anywhere in the US for $80 via UPS. My Smart Cart came via freight--it shipped in 3 boxes, all packaged together on top of a pallet. I inquired on having a 4 wheel wagon shipped from Manitoba to the west coast--it would not come apart, other than I could have detached the shafts & taped them down to the floor of the wagon bed--because it wouldn't have been packaged for shipping it couldn't have been insured & would have had to be shipped "owners risk". Cost for that one varied greatly--one freight company told me they would ship it for $225. The second one I checked with quoted me $1300! Big difference--the first company had their own trucks going right from here to the destination; the second company used connecting freight companies to get the wagon from here to there, so perhaps that accounted for the difference.

A local dealer for Pacific carriages told me he had his two big horse carts shipped out on pallets--I think for the big carts Pacific charges $250 for boxing one cart for shipment. This dealer didn't pay that extra charge, he just had the carts (which do come apart to some extent--at least the shafts are detachable I think) wrapped onto a pallet & shipped that way. They have less protection that way of course, but he said his both arrived in good shape.

I would think if you had them take off the wheels and shafts you should be able to get it into some kind of box or boxs. Mine came in 2 boxed and cost me around $100 shipping Fed Ex Ground. They tend to ship a little bigger boxes. However, I think the price is a bit higher now.

I don't know... my husband is a courier for FedEx and he is skeptical about it shipping via FedEx (he gets a 75% discount, too...) May have to look a little deeper into shipping it boxed...

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
We posted at the same time Andrea; I haven't had a show cart shipped, but for sure I'd want one of those to be crated. Too much danger of having the wooden shafts broken during transport. UPS, of course, has size restrictions on the boxes/crates that they ship. Will your seller crate the cart, and if so, get dimensions and weight & call a few freight companies. Do show carts come apart easily?

I'm pretty sure it would need to be crated, I had a Jerald that I bought from the manufacturer and the body and shafts are all one part... the wheels and basket were shipped in other boxes. It was damaged by Yellow Freight, too by the way... but Jerald was good about replacing it. Maybe that's why I'm a little worried.

I was just hoping a horse shipper could "bring it along" somehow but so far no one has had that happen. Guess I might have to go the crate-and-freight route.

Andrea

My show cart was shipped from boinky in a wood box he made and it was shipped FED EX Ground. Ask him what to do he should know.

Having spent the last 8 MONTHS dealing with this, I think I can answer your question LOL. I bought a Jerald A cart in December. It was shipped Yellow Frt, arrived damaged and we have been argueing with them ever since. We finally got a partial settlement ("you can't prove we damaged it, we'll give you this to go away" in a nutshell) and I sold the cart at a substantially reduced price. I ordered a new one - again - from Jerald, and just received it finally last week!! Now - the first one came, as Jerald usually shipped, heavily wrapped. They are now crating their carts. There is a $100 charge to crate, and Fed Ex delivered it. We had an issue with them, as they originally quoted $275 to ship it from Iowa to Texas but got here and they wanted $454. Sent them away, he was back 5 minutes later agreeing to take the $275.

I still have the crate, wish I was close enough for you to put it to use.

Disneyhorse, HOW did you get Jerald to replace your cart? They were very sympathetic but never offered to do anything but repair it & charge me for it, which of course also involved my paying to rewrap or crate it and ship it back to Iowa.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you contacted Worley's Hauling? They have been known in the past to haul 'odd' things, LOL Or they may know someone who would.

I would say that no matter who you have it delvered by, make sure you have it insured. UPS is the pits when it comes to deliverying parts in good condition. I think it is pretty poor business when the company doing the delivering decides if they're responsible for damage or not. I wonder how often they'll say they are and pay for damages without a fight? My dealings with UPS is (the company I work for uses them) that if it is fragile and must be there on time then you can expect it broken and late. If it's broken they claim improper packaging even though the box appears to have been dropped from 35,000 feet and if it's late they give the impression of oh pity. I have had the best luck with companies such as Yellow Freight.

We bought 2 Jeralds directly from Jerald, a couple of years back, both were very well packed and wrapped and, although it cost a fortune, we had them safely shipped all the way down to the bottom of the World! :bgrin New Zealand :bgrin

I'm not at home to tell you who shipped them, but we arranged it with a company here, who picked them up in Ohio, I think.

One day, I would love to bring in a Viceroy, I just need to find a horse good enough to put between the shafts! :bgrin People down here would just die if they saw one of those little beauties.
default_yes.gif
:

I sold a cart and had it shipped to Florida. I'm in Virginia. My husband works for a tire company and contacted Old Dominion Freight. He was able to put it on a pallet and shrink wrap it in one piece. It was standing up on the pallet. I think(and this was a few years ago) it was close to $200. They prefer to ship to a business, but for an extra charge they would have shipped to a residence.

Kim

Wildoak... the basket was bent sideways... I took a picture and e-mailed it to Jerald. They simply sent out a new basket and didn't want the old one back. No problems whatsoever and they did it quickly since I was about to leave to Nationals the next month!

I dunno, I LOVE Jerald though...

Andrea

UPS is responsible if they lose something, but if things are not packed well, they are not responsible to my knowledge, unless the items are insured. I have never had a problem with UPS, but I dont know how you would really pack something like this to ship via a commercial shipper.

Wildoak... the basket was bent sideways... I took a picture and e-mailed it to Jerald. They simply sent out a new basket and didn't want the old one back. No problems whatsoever and they did it quickly since I was about to leave to Nationals the next month!
Pretty much what was wrong with mine - it looked like someone had backed a forklift into it or dropped something very heavy on it....mmm, couldn't have been the freight company.

I'm amazed at the cooperation you got from Jerald. Lucky you, we spent months trying to get it made right.

They did work with me some after I got my settlement but all in all it was a frustrating experience. It never occured to me the first time around to insure it - I've never ordered anything that I couldn't just return for repair or replacement at the sellers expense if it arrived damaged.

Jan

You might try some of the truck/trailer, and horse 'boards' , for any sort of 'share a ride' postings. Mary Lou had a good suggestion about finding horse haulers who might take it, too. When I got my Pequea wooden road cart, John(the builder) knew a lady who went cross country with a BIG horse trailer--she'd buy Standardbreds off the tracks in CA and haul them BACK east to sell(I was amazed at this!)--then on her return trips, she would haul/deliver a bunch of carriages/carts! All I had to do was meet her up at I-40-only 3.5 mi. from my house-as she came through(about 10 PM; I had her cell no. and she had my home phone, and she called me when she got close. I just had my horse trailer hooked up, and loaded the cart right into it! Cost me $100 for the cart to come from PA to NM--what a deal!!

Two years ago, I sold a Bellcrown pony cart to a lady in WA. SHE found a place in Albuquerque that would prepare it for shipping(it was a metal cart, and the shafts could be removed)-put it on a pallet, pad and shrink wrap the whole thing, etc., and then contact the chosen freight company(one that had a terminal in the buyer's city), to pick it up. Don't know what it cost her, but it apparently went well!

Jerald apparently always uses Yellow Freight. I've gotten three Jeralds over the years, all came via Yellow Freight, and I picked them up in the city at the Albuq. terminal. All were in great shape! I do know of someone who ordered a mini sized 4 wheeled marathon cart from BC in Canada, was quoted around $350 for delivery, but was then charged over $800 !!-so you want to be cautious about freight companies...My Glinkowski mini marathon vehicle came from PA on a Amish-owned semi; he brought it right to my house-and it was ALL ALONE in the trailer by the time he got here--but it was in perfect condition!

Just poke around--there are ways and ways!

Good luck!

Margo

Latest posts

Back