How old is too old??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini123

Reaction score
Would you consider buying a mare that is 16? I am looking at one due to foal in 2012, has a solid foaling history and not over bred. Is 16 too risky? I cant afford a mare of this calaber if she was younger. If she would be ok to foal how many foals could I get from her without it hurting her? Would love to get at least 2 more from my own stallion. Is that being unrealistic? Or am I hurting the mare?? She will still be 16 when she foals in 2012

Any thoughts??

Ooooo I just love my mature girls. They are the best - easy to handle, relaxed about life, good at teaching the youngsters (and the stallions) a few manners, fully experienced with the foaling business and make brilliant mothers!

Take my girl Chapella who has just given us a beautiful filly at the age of 19. We purchased Chapella as a 12 year old and since then she has given us 1 colt and 5 fillies (including this one). She did foal last year so will have the next year off before we try for another baby by covering her in 2012. After this we shall retire her, bless her.

The first mini mare that I purchased was 3 when I got her in 1993, she foaled a filly last year at 20 years and will be covered once more this year so she will be 22 when she next foals and then retires. (she has a huge family of daughters/grand daughters/g-grand daughters following her through our herd). I also have two mares that foaled happily at 23 before being retired.

It does always depend upon the mare and her condition as she gets older, but with good feed and plenty of loving care, most mares will happily cope with foals later in life. Of course we dont normally breed our older girls every year, we like them to have 'time off' and to make sure they are really recovered after their previous foaling.

So I would say to you - go for it, the mare you are looking at it actually in her prime years!
default_yes.gif

Anna

If she's a brood mare, she can foal as long as she can get pregnant
default_smile.png
If she's a maiden, 13 is the oldest I'd recommend breeding. After that point, her cervix isn't stretchy and supple enough to stretch for the foal to exit (they don't have issues getting in foal, just foaling).

i was hesitant, too getting an older mare. Until I realized my mares are older!! How time flies. And they are the relable easy mares! And I know what they produce and what to expect. Once I dont want to breed them they then becomce nannies and pasture buddies!

Good Luck

Ooooo I just love my mature girls. They are the best - easy to handle, relaxed about life, good at teaching the youngsters (and the stallions) a few manners, fully experienced with the foaling business and make brilliant mothers!

It does always depend upon the mare and her condition as she gets older, but with good feed and plenty of loving care, most mares will happily cope with foals later in life. Of course we dont normally breed our older girls every year, we like them to have 'time off' and to make sure they are really recovered after their previous foaling.

So I would say to you - go for it, the mare you are looking at it actually in her prime years!
default_yes.gif

Anna
Anna, I totally agree with everything you said!

We have a 16 year old and two 20 year olds and, like mini123, were able to afford better bloodlines when we purchased them than we would have if they were under 10 years old. These mature mares are wonderful in so many ways - I love them so much, for so many reasons!. Like you, we also give them a year off and consider their overall health and well-being before breeding them. And when they're ready to retire, they have more than earned their forever home with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mare who has had seven foals throughout her life. She is nineteen this year and will be twenty when she foals next year. I checked her before I went to bed at 10:30 P.M. and then ten minutes later heard alot rustle and nickering, she was standing above a gorgeous filly. She had it within fifteen minutes of me checking her and when I checked her she was standing in the contrapposto stance. I am hoping and my plans are till breed her once more after her 2012 foal and then retiring her. Did I mention when I bought her she was already 18 turning 19. Also her foals usually are sold in utero as she so well liked.

When I worked for Oswood Stallion Station the biggest stallion station in the world for "light" sized horses, Jeff always said he would not breed a quarter horse maiden mare after she was 8.
Feather%209.jpg
This is my mare this picture was taken when she was 19 and in foal.

Two of our oldest mares have foaled. One foaled a month ago, and she is 18 years old. The other one foaled last week, she is 23 years old.

The 18 year old, has lost weight after this foal, compared to years past... the 23 year old looks great, you could never guess her age. But both mares are being retired after this year... Both mares were born on our farm and have earned their retirement. (oh and I won't be looking for a retirement home for them, they are staying here and can decorate the pasture lol)

So in any case, I wouldn't worry about a 16 yr old.

Buffyemail.jpg

My 19 year old broodmare. she has given me two colts and one filly in the last 3 years. She holds her weight great, and is a easy foaler and good mother. She is taking this year off as she did not take this year. I will probably get at least two more foals from her before she will be retired. I love this mare.

I absolutely would buy a 16 year old for breeding...IF...she was an experienced broodmare and was the conformation, pedigree, etc I wanted. I actuall PREFER them in their mid teens - they are generally more confident, easy-going and know what to do! I like mares that know what to do!

The oldest mare I've personally had foal out was 25 at the time of the birth. That was her last foal; she is now 29. I believe she's had 14 or 15 foals (one for me) during her breeding career.

I agree, it depends far more on the condition of the mare than the age. I knew a mare that was in foal at age 27 and had been having a foal every year. She was in good physical condition and was producing healthy foals.

I love broodmares in their teens, when I go looking that's what I want! No maidens for me, give me the proven older gals anytime! I have a 20 year old mare that foaled this year, and she is doing great.

They are too old when they can no longer carry the foal full-term or properly nurse without drawing themselves down too far.

Definitely agree with everyone. We've bought mares at different ages, and the 14+ have been so easy to foal, get in foal, etc.

As for when to retire, that again depends on the mare. Some mares do great into their late twenties, other's do not. We tend to stop ours at 21-23 depending on how they're maintaining weight, bounce back from foaling, etc.

default_saludando.gif
wow thats some old girls thats great that there still foaling at that age.. i have one 16yr mare thats in foal and 2 maiden mares that are 4 and 5 so bit worried about them 2..

Looks like I did get my answer. Thanks so much!! I was thinking geez a 20 yr old mare is like what, a 35 yr old person. But like it was mentioned if the mare cam maintane and still look good then it is not unreasonable. I will be sure to share and thanks again

Latest posts

Back