How often do you go into town.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
I find myself going into town just about every other day to either go shopping, grocery shopping, run errands etc.... Town is not that far for me, maybe 7 minutes...but I find myself always getting things that are needed and then I have to go back for horse stuff, cat stuff or dog stuff or that I've forgotten something. Which does sometimes take me further into another town.

YEARS ago I used to go grocery shopping once a month, but that got old after a while having to lug all them bags etc...so now I just do it weekly....or twice weekly
rolleyes.gif
. Just wondering how far away town is from you and how you manage your shopping household? Maybe it's time for a change so that I can have more play time on my hands instead of always running errands!!
wacko.gif

Well, we live over 30 miles from the Wal Mart, so going to "town" is a big deal. I go once every week or two. We have a little country store up the road about 5 miles, they sell milk, bread, eggs, that sort of thing, and I probably go in there about once every couple of days. Our darn mailbox is over a mile away, so even getting the mail is an outing!

I do pretty much like you. We are about 7 min. from the edge of town. But town sprawls so much now that it takes 25 min. to just drive from one end to the other. I'm lucky though that dear hubby is great about stopping and picking up this or that to add to that nights dinner on his way home from town.

I love both city and country (hate the suburbs!), so we have the best of both worlds -- we live in the tullies, but we're just 20-30 minutes from downtown and northwest Portland (depends on who's driving...I get there a bit quicker than Keith!).

I'm in town all of the time visiting design clients (although transferring files by modem and proofing with pdf files makes all of this viable), we play clubs in town almost every weekend, and we frequently go in to visit friends, go to restaurants, listen to music and visit museums, bookstores (POWELL'S CITY OF BOOKS!!!!!), etc.

Keith, of course, is in there every day for work...

If you lived where I lived you would not be going to town daily I can assure you.

I've been driving places less and less these past few years. If I didn't drive at all I wouldn't care. I really hate it. Being a recluse up here works well for me.
biggrin.gif

I do go off the mountain 5 days a week to pick up the boys at the school bus stop. Total miles about 15. What a pain. Michael just got his permit and soon as he can drive a little better, he can get his license and tote Dan and himself to school and save me that trip.

I go to Walmart about twice a month for food and supplies in Jasper and that's too much. It's about 45 miles+ one way but the curvy roads make it quite a longer drive so it takes me about 1 hour + to get there.

I used to go to the Chattanooga Mall about twice a year for Christmas, but now it's down to one I guess. I don't even remember going there last year at all. I really have issues driving on the interstate. People like me shouldn't really be on the road at all so I try not to be.

I should shop on Home Shopping Club or something.

We live about 12 miles outside of town, and I go daily. I LOVE driving, love seeing what's going on, etc,. I must've been a hobo or something in another life cuz I like road trips and seeing the sights.

Anyway, I end up grocery shopping about four times a week, typically, but with four men in the house (ok, so two of 'em are under 5), we go through certain things pretty quickly.

I like going into town, I see people I like and know and I get to ride in my truck and listen to CDs, talk to my little ones on the way, etc. etc.!

Ok, I know I'm wierd!

Liz M.

susanne, I LOVE Powell's. We used to load up on Sundays and our family would spend the day looking around. Somehow, the day used to slip by pretty quickly! *LOL*

susanne, I LOVE Powell's.  We used to load up on Sundays and our family would spend the day looking around.  Somehow, the day used to slip by pretty quickly!  *LOL*
487080[/snapback]

Me too! When my husband and I were in school in Portland we used to visit Powell's Books and have coffee and just read. Three kids and many horses later....whatever happened to those lazy days?

We are about 10 miles from the edge of either town going east or west. I have to pickup one at school everyday so I make the trip daily. I too enjoy the drive (of course daily I could do without) because the sights are so pretty and this time of year the leaves are all different vibrant colors and beautiful. But, with gas prices as they are these days I always make my shopping trips, coffee stops, feed store visits, coincide with those school pickups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate shopping!! I go to the grocery store once a week which is about 30 minutes or so away. Hate going into "town" at all. There's been alot of development and the roads haven't kept up, so there's always traffic. Imagine that!! We are getting a Walmart about 15 minutes from us. Have heard it will be open by the end of this month. At Christmas time, I do most of my shopping on the internet. I'd rather pay shipping charges then have to go out to the stores.

I used to do things like that but now that I live pretty far from most stores I plan my trips. My feed store is the first stop, then the bank and library, then down the road about 10 miles to the Big M for groceries then get gas on the way home. It's about 27 miles or so to the earest Walmart, and about 45 mins to get to a mall. I hate going anywheres so I really plan. Gas costs too much anyway.

Well, I live "in town" but we go on a big grocery run with the car every week or two, usually two. Then in between we go once a week or so for bread/milk/produce. We walk to the store for the in between trips. We spend much much less in groceries when we only drive occasionally... who wants to carry loads of groceries home by hand?
wink.gif
Its just me and my brother, and my boyfriend and his sister join us occasionally too. Of course, I end up going on my boyfriends grocery runs too
laugh.gif
And I almost NEVER go shopping for anything other than groceries, although my boyfriend did take me birthday shopping last week, wanted a head start for my birthday next month! what a sweetie
wub.gif

CAM said:
susanne, I LOVE Powell's.  We used to load up on Sundays and our family would spend the day looking around.  Somehow, the day used to slip by pretty quickly!  *LOL*
487080[/snapback]

Me too! When my husband and I were in school in Portland we used to visit Powell's Books and have coffee and just read. Three kids and many horses later....whatever happened to those lazy days?

487083[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
Larry and I used to do the same thing! It was like a "date"! Now we go to Barnes & Noble.....but it's not quite the same.....

I go into "town" every day to take Bri to school. After I drop her off there's usually something to pick up -- bags of grain, gallon of milk....etc....

MA

We go grocery shopping and buy hay every two weeks and that is about it for me unless I am taking the kids to play. I am what you would call a home body
laugh.gif

I learned to make alist of things needed a long time ago........still try to keep at that.......and since I do work between 2 & 5 days a week, try to make all stops within my work days. There are times when I don't even start my car for several days. Lot of times what I have on a list can wait to buy when I'm closer to the store I need to get it from.

The gas is one cost to be saved but, more than that is the cost of the shopping!
laugh.gif
If I go once a week and get all I need (plus the other "stuff" that seems to jump in the basket
wacko.gif
) it isn't too bad. I find for every trip I make then MORE of the extras come home.

Geesh, am I the only one who goes for a half gallon of milk and leaves with $50 in other things????
no.gif
Just can't do that but so many times a week.

We live about 30 minutes from town. I would stay home everyday and not go into town at all if I could help it but only because our local town is very snobby and I am not. It bothers me how rude the people are so I hate going there.

However I end up going just about everyday because someone needs something from this place or that. School, work, horse, dogs, what ever, someone needs something so off I go. Today I have to head in because my husband needs a magnifying glass to fix his gun and of course he needs it NOW so I can't order it online. I do more and more of that now. Online stuff is great and when foaling season is here if I have a mare that is going to go at any moment I have been known to order groceries online too!!
biggrin.gif

Usually, I grocery shop once a month. I go to Target once a month for all other supplies and the feed store every other month to re fill my barrels.

I do not mall shop ever!!! My kids have been to the mall twice with me. once because we could not find a prom dress anywhere else and the second time to go to this one restaurant that is only in the mall.

I am not a shopper. If I can't do it on line it shouldn't be done. LOL

Not very often! I keep a running list of groceries we need, and feed for the horses, dogs and cats, and buy a lot of it when I go, so I don't have to go too often. I also plan out my trips, so I can hit the bank, the feed store, etc, all in one trip.

I like shopping online a lot when I can
smile.gif
Usually get great deals that way too!

We live 65 miles from the town we do most of our shopping in; they have more selection and better prices, plus it's the closest town for machinery parts. We do live 37 miles from another town (where my mom lives), but shopping is lousy, so only go there once or twice a month to see my mom and occassionally do a little shopping. We usually go to the bigger town about twice a month for groceries and such (also get feed at the same time, we put up our own hay); now and then I catch a ride with my in-laws, we seem to be on opposite weeks for groceries and such. It's nice to catch a ride and save gas; whoever is the passenger buys lunch, so works for us. The nearest Walmart is 135 miles, so only get there once or twice a year (we go to that town for Christmas shopping; they have WalMart, Penneys, TSC, Home of Economy (similar to TSC), a couple of hardware stores and lumberyards, and a couple of small specialty stores).

We're about a mile from the closest big grocery store in this little town of about 8500.

We are surrounded by larger towns so everyting is handy, regardless of what you are needing....... My needs are slight though.

We're 8/9 miles from the barn and drive past even more grocery stores, etc., feed store is near the barn so we've got every thing very central to the areas we move thru.

Now Powell's!!!! That's about 3 hours away and worth every minute of the drive.

Latest posts

Back