How Much Would you Expect to Pay???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the route.. if it is not off the beaten path or both pick up and delivery are willing to meet off a major highway I would expect to pay 350-450

Last edited by a moderator:
That is kind of the amounts I was thinking. I would have to trailer there and come back empty.

I agree with Lisa. The quotes I was getting to transport a mini from Louisiana (southern, I believe) to central Iowa just a few weeks ago were about $600-$700.

I go on the web to check the driving distance and price of gas.

Then use 10 miles to the gallon as a guide.

So after calculating travel time and cost for layover and if it's only one horse or is there a load?

A lot of factors.

Anywhere from 65cents to $1.30 a mile, depends on the route (whether it is off the transporter's current routing), direction (some will give discounts to get back "home"), whether the transporter has a pretty ful load (some will discount if they are nearly full - or sometimes if they are hauling low on horses if it's on the way to their next stop), on the transporter (are they fully licensed, DOT, insurance, etc? That all increases costs), how many layovers, box stall or standing stall, all kinds of things.

I go on the web to check the driving distance and price of gas.

Then use 10 miles to the gallon as a guide.

So after calculating travel time and cost for layover and if it's only one horse or is there a load?

A lot of factors.
It is one horse. There is no layover. It is about a 10 to 14 hour drive. With a horse I like to stop and give food and water. He is a horse that I am selling. I don't know if the people that are interested want him delivered. But, I need to know what to ask if they can't come get him.

I would be doing the transport. I just needed to know if the amount I was thinking was in the ballpark.

Well, most times if the seller is transporting a horse they have sold, they will charge less than they would if they were just hauling a horse for someone else.

I know someone who is offering delivery of a sold horse for $300, and that will be a 10-12 hour trip one way.

Latest posts

Back