How much to charge??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I have a quick question. My son is possibly getting a job cleaning stalls for a lady at the end of our road cleaning and doing horse chores for the big horses. How much should he charge for cleaning stalls for 3 big horses?

Thank..

not sure what the going rate is in your area, but here it is generally $5 per stall, per day. if he were to do them 5 das a week, he could do a deal like (instead of 75 per week) do $65 or something like that......depending on his age and capebility, of course.

If she is within walking distance I would make her a deal like $50 a week BUT if and when he has to strip a stall I would charge $10 for the stall he has to strip. So base line he would be getting $200 a month under the table as a given.

I get $8 an hour at my instructor's barn. If I'm house sitting I get $20 a day to feed 2 times a day and do 2 stalls. $5 a stall is fine, but if he's doing more maybe $6 an hour.

Christy

Sigh I dont get much when our neighbors go away. We get $2 each day to put out a horse and bring him in. An additional $2 to do his stall each day and feed him....... About 10 years ago I used to make $60 each month to clean two geldings stalls.... come to think of it I am probably not much help am I...
default_saludando.gif

Sigh I dont get much when our neighbors go away. We get $2 each day to put out a horse and bring him in. An additional $2 to do his stall each day and feed him....... About 10 years ago I used to make $60 each month to clean two geldings stalls.... come to think of it I am probably not much help am I...
default_saludando.gif
I go on my friend who has a pet sitting service and she charges $15 every time she has to go to the house and walk and care for an animal. So I'm actually cheap. Right now I am renting a barn and charging $450 a month. That includes $150 for the stall and then I feed and turnout/bring in AM and PM, I clean the stalls, I buy the feed, and I buy the hay. They supply the supplements. It also has a small indoor and a large outdoor dressage ring.

I think $6 an hour is a good start for him. As he gets better he can charge more.

Christy

This is a funny one to me. A few years back I offered a kid $15 per stall for a once a week good going through. Then $25 for an end of the month strip. His dad came out and chewed me out for taking advantage of the kid and told me I had to pay the going rate for minimum wage. I was dumbfounded. We all know that I was offering much more.

Anyhow, thats my deal. If its a daily thing, then a weekly rate would apply, maybe $25 per stall? I did my own daily pickings, but at that time, I couldnt stand long enough to do more.

This summer I went away for my son's wedding in Newfoundland and was very lucky to get a friend of my youngest son to move in while we were gone. We of course provided her food, etc. and I paid her $400 for the 4 days she was here. She looked after not only ny horses but my ducks/chicken,dog/cats and my horses of course. She was wonderful and did a fantastic job!

Sigh I dont get much when our neighbors go away. We get $2 each day to put out a horse and bring him in. An additional $2 to do his stall each day and feed him......
I guess i'm too nice; whenever I do chores for the neighbors I don't get anything at all--except a thank you. Nothing expected, and nothing offered.

This is a funny one to me. A few years back I offered a kid $15 per stall for a once a week good going through. Then $25 for an end of the month strip. His dad came out and chewed me out for taking advantage of the kid and told me I had to pay the going rate for minimum wage. I was dumbfounded. We all know that I was offering much more.
Maybe the kid was a very slow worker, and if you divide those amounts by the amount of time the job would have taken him he'd have been getting a very small amount per hour.
default_rolleyes.gif
sadly I do know some kids that work about like that, their only speed is SUPER SLOW.

Sigh I dont get much when our neighbors go away. We get $2 each day to put out a horse and bring him in. An additional $2 to do his stall each day and feed him......
I guess i'm too nice; whenever I do chores for the neighbors I don't get anything at all--except a thank you. Nothing expected, and nothing offered.

Maybe the kid was a very slow worker, and if you divide those amounts by the amount of time the job would have taken him he'd have been getting a very small amount per hour.
default_rolleyes.gif
sadly I do know some kids that work about like that, their only speed is SUPER SLOW.

Actually, it was his daddy that was super slow ba dum bum LOL Each stall took him less than 45 minutes, or $4 if I went off what his dad wanted me to give. Think kid was happy with my amount LOL

Latest posts

Back