How much grass? Good or Bad??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylilgirls

Reaction score
Hi

Me & my sister were talking & she seems to think grass is not good for a mini or pony, She is a big horse person & I on the other hand was so glad not to be killed with a big horse one day. I will just stick with my pets. Love the bigs ones just dont want to get hert LOL Any way I have 2 mini's & a 11 hand pony, there grass area is a tad bit over 1/2 acre. They can go in & out as they please & eat grass when ever they want. Is this OK???? My pony needs weight she was a rescue I have been working on for 8 months - putting weight on her is like pulling teeth. - the mini's are not over or under. The grass area has a mowed look 24/7 all but the onion grass. I will all so give them fresh cut grass a few times a week. all 3 are feed 2 times a day. Just want some input from some little horse people.

Have a good one

Grass is not necessarily bad for horses but if they are not used to it they need to be introduced to it slowly. Let them out on it for one or two hours for a week or so and then gradually increase the time until they can be left out all day or however long you want them out. Fresh cut grass is ok as a treat but should not be fed as a main meal because it is extremely rich. If they are used to being out on grass and have been for a while then they should be fine all of my broodmares are out to pasture 24/7 and it doesnt hurt any of them. The only time we have had a problem is with an older mare foundering from the rich grass. This is just what we do and we have raised big horses for a lot of years as well and dont feel grass is bad for them and we like to let them out just so they can eat some grass every now and then if they are stall horses. Hope this helps and I am sure others will give their opinions as well!

Thank you --- Thats what I thought
default_yes.gif
.. They have never showed me any bad issues with grass. My sister boards her horse and for some reason the barn has a pony & mini field ( they are boarders to ) & they are all in a huge dry lot no grass at all & the barn keeps it that way. My sister asked them why & they told her what she has been telling me. Mini's & pony's should not be in or on grass or else you will have problems????? Oh well as long as my girls are healthy & happy they can have there grass
default_rolleyes.gif
. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something

Take care

I have my minis and ponies on grass 24/7 in a average size lot. It is just nibbleings, but still on grass. I supplement w/ hay/alfalfa.

I have always been told not to give my horses fresh cut grass clipping, as they will over eat it and have a sick belly. A handful is ok, but don't empty your lawn clippings in their pen. There have been a few posts on this topic, I am sure you can do a search for them.

Latest posts

Back