How much do you tip...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For hair and hair/eyebrows I tip $5

add in nails an I go up to $10

my stylist ALWAYS squeezes me in with no problem

restaurant 15-25% depening on my mood, service and what kind of restaurant. If I go out with friends who tip poorly it changes my opinion of them. I used to waitress and bartend and know it's a lousy job.

Lisa you are embarassing me! :new_shocked:

LOL

Just had to add one more comment on tipping.

If you don't think you should have to tip, then don't take a cruise. Tipping is expected, they keep up with how much you tip, and if you don't voluntarily tip in the amounts the staff expect, they'll just tack it on to your cruise bill. Some of the cruisers on our ship didn't like that! However, we didn't mind the tips, because the staff were superb.

The waitresses up here earn $2.00 an hour. They agree women are very bad about tipping. Now remember this is what they tell me not what I am saying. Because I am in the place a lot (I do some readings there)I know them all well, and I see what they go thru.

There is a church group that go there every Sunday. The bill is always $300.00 and over and they get a $10.00 tip every week. :eek:

This winter has been awful no snow up here, so not many tourists. They tell me sometimes they might make $8.00 all day. I felt so sorry for them. Large parties they say tip very poorly. Having waitressed myself in my younger days I always tip 20% sometimes more.

If someone I am with is a poor tipper or rude to them it changes my opinion of that person.

i have to admit when i waitressed we used to fight over who would take a table of women because we knew the tip would probably not be very good and they would be very demanding. I always went to every table doing my best wether they were male or female and not all women are bad tippers but in general they do not tip as well as men.

Now oddly enough i found when i bartended that women tipped very well. Maybe because they were drinking??? LOL

I have owned a hair salon for over ten years now, in the past I always had staff and an assistant as well. A couple of years ago I moved to a smaller location and pared down to it being just lil ole me. It is pretty rare for me not to get a tip from each customer that comes in, I used to have one that made a point of telling me that she was not tipping me because it wasn't the proper etiquette since I was the owner LOL Of course she was one of the most demanding customers I had and when I passed her on to one of my other stylists she didn't tip her either, SURPRISE!!!

I keep my prices VERY reasonable so there is room for someone to tip me should they want to. I do a lot of seniors as there is a seniors high-rise apartment building right across the street from my shop, some of them can only give a small tip and that is fine with me of course!
default_yes.gif
: Usually the tips are bigger when I do a color service or a perm and of course at Christmas time people tend to be more generous. On average tips are in the 20% range and 99.9% of my customers tip!
default_yes.gif
:

Pam

At restaurants I typically tip just over 15% for good service, if the service is excellent then they get 20% or a bit more.

If you are at a nice restaurant or just feeling generous it's also nice to tip your host/hostess. I worked at an extremely busy somewhat upscale restaurant as a hostess. You would not believe how hectic being a hostess can be. I was thrilled the few times someone offered me even a dollar! So if your host/hostess is doing an exceptional job, give them a little something, you will make their day
default_yes.gif
:

Something alot of people don't realize...........You don't have to tip on the total bill after tax is added, you can tip on the pre-tax total. I usually tip on the pre-tax total if the bill is rather large and the service just standard. If I have a small bill, and/or the service was great then I tip on the Grand Total.

Here's a really good page on Tipping Etiquette, it includes standard tip amounts for all the peoples we've mentioned (mail carrier, spa, teachers)........

Tip Etiquette

Last edited by a moderator:
well, my husband cuts my hair, and I tip him in ways that don;t involve money... :flirt:

At restaurants I tip 15% if I get decent service. I'll tip a lot more then that if I get good or great service. There was one restaurant my ex and i used to go to and we always got the same waitress. if she was working we would request to be seated in her area. She was fantastic. One year for our anniversary we went there and when she found out it was our anniversary and that this meal was my gift to my husband she seated us in a secluded area of the restaurant and brought us candles and free appetizers. She then gave us a 10% discount on the meal and a bottle of wine. I'd planned to spend $100 on dinner and leave a $100 tip, but with her discounts and gifts dinner only came to $60... I left her the whole $200 anyway. A few months later the restaurant was bought out by the road commission so they could widen a highway. It still makes me sad. They reopened as a carry out place. Blah.

I have been known to leave little or no tip at all if I get exceptionally bad service, but i always follow up a no tip or low tip with a letter to management explaining why. It has happened a hand full of times but honestly a tip is a gratuity, a reward for a job well done, and if I was treated poorly then I have no reason to leave a gratuity. I am not demanding, I don't expect wait staff to be my best friend or to go to extraordinary lengths to please me. I simply want the food i ordered, and to have someone willing to respond in a pleasant manner when I need something. I've had wait staff be down right rude and I absolutely will not give my hard earned money to someone who treats me poorly. It has to be REALLY bad for this to happen though.

This does NOT apply to people who neglect me because they are over worked and have more then they can handle. If someone is working twice the number of tables they should be and they don;t refill my glass or pick up dirty plates but they are still kind and friendly they will usually get as big or bigger of a tip then someone who takes good care of me but isn't at all busy. It can be a very stressful job and when people still manage to keep a smile on their face when they are clearly overworked and underpaid they deserve a little something extra.

I generally tip close to 20% to a waiter/waitress, more for exceptional service and rarely much less if service is lousy. Have to admit I'm probably a better tipper than I used to be, since my daughter started waitressing. She has made me aware of how hard they work for those tips, and how little they can make on a bad day. Hairdressers are harder - I pay what I think is a good bit for a haircut, and usually leave about 10%, but I tend to stay with the same person for years and I do give a Christmas bonus.

I would like to see folks paid a better wage and bring tipping back to being really a bonus, instead of something expected/demanded. Ah well, showing my age...
default_wacko.png
:

Jan

Well, when I can afford to tip I think I'm pretty generous I round to the 20$ for a 12$ hair cut and leave a $5 bill for any meal under $15. That said, if I'm pretty broke I don't not eat out because I can't afford more than the menu price for a meal or go without a hair cut because all I have is what its advertaised at. THAT just wouldn't be fair. When I'm broke, I consider tipping to be the first thing to go. However, once I have meoney again, I think I tend to tip a little more generously on the next hair cut to make up for it. And I agree, any service person that will tell you they expect a tip is just plain tacky. And I also agree that waitresses should be paid what they are worth and not have their bosses expect them to make their rent money out of their tips.

Just wanted to add that I don't tip at fast food joints and I don't always leave my change at the coffee places either. The coffee guy/gal only gets my change if they seem to have a spark of life in their body, in other words no tip for the robot with glazed eyes that rival the donuts.

You all have me wondering, How much do you tip at a Buffet where you are pretty much serving yourself other than them picking up your dirty plates or refilling your drinks? I always leave a tip, but not near 15% because I am getting it myself..............SO how do you feel about that?
default_unsure.png
:

I must say I waitress one night a week and I make great money!

I always make between 20-25% of my sales.

I do not find women cheap, I work in a hotel. I work in the bar/restaurant. Lately fancy Martini drinks are all the rage and I find groups of women spend alot on these drinks and tip well!

I make between $25 and $35 an hour when I wait tables but I work hard for it! I work in a VERY busy place, in the summer it is crazy busy!

I think a good waitress earns her money!

Our regulars are always good to us but they expect great, friendly, fast service and they will tip well for it!!!

How much do you tip at a Buffet where you are pretty much serving yourself other than them picking up your dirty plates or refilling your drinks?
That was a good question. I thought around 10% but I wanted to make sure so I looked it up on an etiquette site...........

Tipping for a Buffet

If all a waiter does is take drink orders and clear plates, how big a tip should he receive? Twenty percent seems way too generous.

At a buffet, ten percent of the bill is customary. But as with tipping in general, stick to the formula only if the waiter is attentive, appearing promptly when you need him. If he provides extra-good service, then you could tip him more. But if he neglects to refill your water glass or is missing in action when you're ready for the check, feel free to give less.
As for men or woman being bad tippers? I have found more men are. There have been times I have gone back to the table to lay down more money as it embarrassed me. I don't think I have even been with a woman who has not tipped well. But I think, in general, you cannot make a blanket statement about something like this. I also think some people just don't know how to figure percentages......

i actually tend to tip more than my husband... so long as the server is friendly and tries... sometimes you can't keep up i know, but our pet peeve is an empty glass when we are thirsty, and for every empty glass the tip goes down quick! of course as was said if they are swamped and they acknowledge you and get back asap i give them some slack... we have also had a busy server leave a pitcher so we could serve ourselvers and that is fine with me, they get no deduction for that...

another thing, since my husband was in management for years, if we have a particularly good or bad server we will ask to speak with the manager... if they are good we ask to speak to both them and the manager and oh the looks we get... i think they are pretty worried, until they hear us complimenting them to the manager. we have always felt that although it's nice to thank someone directly for doing a good job, it means even more to express that to the person in charge of them... the compliments i got on my own work as a legal secretary that meant the most to me were the ones made by the client to my boss, that he then passed on to me. nice when people make sure your boss knows how hard you worked to take care of them!

I generally tip $10 for a haircut (usually about 50%) and I tip waitstaff quite well too. I waitressed for a short while and I know how difficult a job it is. I'm more than willing to tip well for good service. Very poor service gets a very small tip but something (enough that they KNOW I didn't forget to tip them, but that I'm not going to give them a good tip).

Waitress and hairdresser at least 20%. My daughter manages a salon and they do not make much money. the tips keep gas in her car and helps pay bills. there is no extra.

i WILL lower a tip if my water glass is not refilled and i have to ask. i do expect that. but superb service may get more than 20% also.

companions that do not tip well make me look at them again, also. these people working at these jobs are trying to make ends meet just like the rest of us!

jennifer :saludando:

I tip from 10%-20% depending on the service provided and occasionally I have tipped much higher. I was amazed in Idaho at how many people didn't tip at all. I used to bartend and made great money in tips. I also believe in tipping for any type of personal service and find the corporate rules against boxpeople accepting tips to be downright dumb. It is my money and if someone provides me with super service I should darn well be able to tip them.

I'm interested in how this whole tipping this got started. I worked at a fruit stand and got about 3 dollars in tips in the three months I worked there. When I go out to eat and I'm paying I will only tip if the waitress/waiter has been REALLY nice or has made be notice them some how in a postive way. I have no clue what percent I tip either I tip how much ther person has earned. My parents took me to a resturant where the watries was in gerneraly unhappy and did not look like she was enjoying her job, my parents tiped her but I could not bring myself to if i was paying for the meal.

I do always tip the Pizza guy because most pizza guys around here have to pay for their own gas, use their own car that they making payments on, pay insurance ext...

But at a resturant I not only go for the food, I go for the experince. A waittress/waiter could spill something hot (or cold or anything lol) all over me but as long as they nice, pleasent, and entertaining in a sence I would still tip.

i'm manage a salon and i've found that in general men give better tips. of course, there are exceptions to this...but overall, men want the same thing as last night and trust you to make them look good and often ask your opinion. people from different areas do tip diffeerently. those from other countries i've found don't normally tip the same. my best tipper will leave $20 for a $13 haircut, but he knows that everytime he comes in i'll squeeze him in no matter what. he also leave $50 for christmas. a majority of my male clientele will leave $5-7 for a $13 cut. many people round up to $20. they tip better too if service is prompt and if you know their name without having to ask.

when i have a service done not at my salon then i normally tip 40-50%. excellent server out to eat can get the same alos, although, it seems not many care as much these days.

Latest posts

Back