How much colostrum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weerunner

Reaction score
I've got a mare about to foal, lots of lovely colostrum. Likely will foal tonight according to pH and hardness measurements. I've also got a mare at day 343 today with no udder at all. So I'd like to save colostrum for the second mares baby just in case she doesn't make enough of her own. How much do I need to collect. Don't want to steal more from baby #1 than is necessary.

I think for a mini its only a few ounces that you need, but check with the gals on the mare stare forum here, I'm sure someone knows.

I think 60mls is about 2 ounces.

Might have to give it in a couple feedings, as its a fair amount to try to carefully syringe in (or bottle feed, if the foal will take a bottle).

Last edited by a moderator:
In 18yrs of Veterinary Practice I have had only 1 occurrence of a mare not producing enough colostrum and that mare produced absolutely '0' milk. 2 pulls of milk/colostrum is enough to raise a foal.

Of foals who have problems with neonatal septicemia (bacteria in the blood stream) only some are due to Failure of Passive Transfer or FPT (not getting enough good quality colostrum quickly enough after birth) and most of those are due to a foals inability to stand and nurse (dummy foals).

Short of being an orphan, FPT is rarely the fault of the mare not producing enough quantity (quality is another issue) of colostrum.

I only encourage the acquisition of colostrum from mares who have lost their foals.

Stall side IgG tests are good (they aren't perfect) and if the results are <400ng/dl then supplementation with a commercial product is generally enough (commercial products aren't perfect, but they are never contaminated with bad bacteria like colostrum can be).

Dr. Taylor

Latest posts

Back