How much colostrum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplethorsefarm

Reaction score
Two years in a row we have had mares with low levels of colostrum. Both mares were not bred by us nor were they cared for by us during a majority of their pregnancy, so I am unsure on the quality of care they were provided. As a preventative measure our vet suggests giving the newborn foal colostrum from another mare. Fortunately there is a farm near by that raises Cyldesdales and they have colostrum available. My question is how much should I give a foal and at what times to ensure they are getting an adequate dose. This way even if the mare does not have a high even level of colostrum the foal is covered.

Does anyone include this in their routine foaling care? I am concerned if I give them too much of another mares colostrum, they will have less desire to nurse their dam right away. Do you provide it in a bottle and if so does that interfer with their desire to nurse the mare? Any suggestions would be great. I want to give these little guys the best possible start. Thanks Theresa

I would be interested in knowing this as well. I would like my neighbor who raises QH's to save me some colostrum but I am not sure about how to go that route.

Great topic!

Really, the only way to be sure they got enough, and that they absorbed it properly, is to have an IgG blood test done 12-24 hours after they first nurse.

Really, the only way to be sure they got enough, and that they absorbed it properly, is to have an IgG blood test done 12-24 hours after they first nurse.
I know the IgG tests can be used to let you know if they have received a high enough level of colostrum, but usually by the time the vet can test them they are past the crucial 8 hour window. At that point the only option is IV plasma. Yes, it is important to know if they have successfull absorbed their antibodies, but the intervention methods are more severe. I want to implement a preventative to double cover them so to speak. If they receive extra colostrum during their first 6-8 hours they are less likely to need the life saving procedures at the 12-24 hour time period. What do you do at that 12-24 hour mark if they have not received a high enough level of colostrum? Is there still enough time to give oral colostrum?

The colostrum taken by the foal within the first 12 hours of birth is critical. After that time, the absorbability of the antibodies decreases. If I recall, at least 60 ccs is helpful. Personally, I would give the foal an adequate chance to nurse off its own dam before giving any additional colostrum. Please ask your vet, though, to be sure all your bases are covered. We do an IgG test, as mentioned above, routinely to be sure the foal is getting what is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The colostrum taken by the foal within the first 12 hours of birth are critical. After that time, the absorbability of the antibodies decreases. If I recall, at least 60 ccs is helpful. Personally, I would give the foal an adequate chance to nurse off its own dam before giving any additional colostrum. Please ask your vet, though, to be sure all your bases are covered. We do an IgG test, as mentioned above, routinely to be sure the foal is getting what is needed.
60cc's is the amount I was told also. Now keep in mind, the more the better. If you can get 100cc's and get a min. of 60 into the foal that good, not excellant, but good. This is based on a mini foal, not a pony foal or a horse foal's needs. 100 cc's allows for some drips and overflows.

The colostrum taken by the foal within the first 12 hours of birth are critical. After that time, the absorbability of the antibodies decreases. If I recall, at least 60 ccs is helpful. Personally, I would give the foal an adequate chance to nurse off its own dam before giving any additional colostrum. Please ask your vet, though, to be sure all your bases are covered. We do an IgG test, as mentioned above, routinely to be sure the foal is getting what is needed.
60cc's is the amount I was told also. Now keep in mind, the more the better. If you can get 100cc's and get a min. of 60 into the foal that good, not excellant, but good. This is based on a mini foal, not a pony foal or a horse foal's needs. 100 cc's allows for some drips and overflows.

We've gone the 60cc route too, but Carolyn makes a good point about having and giving extra to accommodate spillage from their little mouths.

Back