How many of you DID NOT breed for the season..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 mares, both breeding age.

Last year I bought a bred mare, but upon inspection, she came up open. Was I upset? A little. But and that's a big but! It just gave me more time to get ready, and plan for a better foal.

My Joy turned 3 last year. Every one asked if I bred her. I'll be honest, I did think about it, but I decided what's the rush? Instead I went to Nationals with her, then sent her to be broke to drive. This year I'm looking forward to driving her, and I will also have her bred. But I think, If I had bred her last year, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Sometimes not breeding can result a greater gift then the foal.

So I do not envy the farms that have more then 5 foals a year, especially in this economy and market flood! I do plan do breed both my mare to two extraordinary stallions for 2010 foals, but I have been planing these foals for years. Will I breed for 2011? I don't know. But I'm only breeding what I can keep, in the case that they don't sell. I plan to geld most of my colts too.

I just don't see the point for mass breeding. Just cause you CAN, does NOT mean you should.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes!
default_unsure.png
JMO

We did breed one mare for 2009 and thankfully she did not take. We ended up with a Nov 08 foal sired by our "sterile" stallion who is now a gelding
default_rolleyes.gif
It worked out ok Raven got a palomino appy colt with 4 white socks and 2 blue eyes who will be gelded pretty soon and we ended up with only one foal which is just great for us.

We will not be doing any breeding this year even though I am dying to see what our new little stallion can produce I will just have to wait until 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not breed any last year or plan to this year (or for many years to come). I had a stallion picked out for my mare and opted against it after she foaled. I decided at 19, its time to just enjoy your leisurely days in the pasture. I could've bred, but I just didn't want to. I also bought a broodmare last year with the option to have her bred. Opted against it too. She is now being prepped to hit the show ring this year. I gelded my stallion in 2007 also. No breeding business going on here. I just enjoy showing. I'm the perfect buyer as I like to get mine at 3 or older and show them. Babies are fun, but not as fun to me as most people enjoy them.

Well, we had two mares that were in with a stallion, one of which I figured did not take and one I thought did. Turned out neither of them took. Put one other mare in with a different stallion just for company as we had tried this cross since we purchased the mare in 2003. Knew she wouldn't take. Well, surprise, we are anxiously awaiting a foal from them in the next couple weeks. Mare is 32" and stallion is 27 3/4".

Latest posts

Back