How many is too many?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We started out small in the mid 80's and got to a herd of 32 counting foals. That kept me plenty busy as I worked as bookkeeper for my husband's car business as well as taking care of my horses. Now as we are both 70, we needed to cut back and the present herd is 13 with some for sale as I'd like to cut back some more. I have not bred for a few years and do not show any more. We have been lucky the last few years with a neighbor who would take care of my herd when we vacation. I call every night to make sure everything is ok. My minis are stalled every night so there is always mucking to do in the mornings. We have 12 acres here so I well know the work of animals when you have more that a couple. But I love each and every one and hope I can hang on a little longer.

Joyce L

I have been up and down.
default_wacko.png
:

My size for enjoying, cost, & health, is 10 / average herd size for miniature horse breeders.

While now, saying that, I am down to 6 right now, but waiting for my own fillies to be born to be keepers.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Just like a lot of said, depends on the individual, if I was younger, I would have a different answer.
default_wub.png
:

I have yet to feel tied down. My time with my horses refreshes me and reduces stress. They are some of the best things in my life. Of course, it helps that I have a husband that shares my love of horese.

My horses are my therapy......they help preserve my sanity! I can't imagine being without them but I also don't want soooo many I feel overwhelmed. I'm lucky that I have a husband that doesn't mind caring for the critters when I go to shows and I have a neighbor that loves to feed for us if we're both going somewhere. My goal is to keep my "base" herd at around 10. I find that number very managable with farrier/vet and feed costs. Right now I have 11 (actually just sold my first mini so that was exciting) with one for sale but expecting a foal crop of 4 this spring. I still have one big horse who is old and retired. I think if I got to feeling discouraged and that the mini's were tying me down that I'd have to really sit down and evaluate things and make some changes if necessary. Life is too short!

I agree. My horses keep me sane. There have times where I would have completely gone off the deep end, if I wasn't responsible for the horses.

I have 11 horses right now but would ideally like to get back down to 8. For me 8 is easy and comfortable. So I have 2 fillies and 2 mares for sale. If all 4 sell, then I will look for and buy my "last" dream horse, a small homozygous black pinto mare with blue eyes. And hopefully that will be the final completeion of my herd.

I have no bred mares at this time, took 2007 off, so if all 4 sell, I am in good shape.

It can be tough I have had over 25 and am now down to 12 and a pony. I do have a couple more for sale would like to have 12 as a all time limit with 10 being ideal

Finding someone to care for them is VERY hard my oldest has done it but she leaves for college (although she will be close enough this year anyway to still help out)

Do you ride the large horses? of course if not that would be the most economical way to go is to sell them first.

I figure this if I don't have enough time (or am not willing to take away time from other things) to keep them groomed, be able to do a daily hands on check and have enough time to ensure everyone is well mannered, ties, clips, leads, goes for walks so they are used to traffic and all in all have basic manners to ensure they would be decent family horses then I have to many

We sacrifce for them for sure, emotionally, finanacially however that is part of having passion for something it doesnt come easy. and while we make sacrifices it doesnt mean the kids go to school in old tattered clothes and have no other activities. It means if this is important to Raven she has to work for it and be willing to give things up for it and she is . No different then my oldest (as well as Raven and I) making sacrifices for her cheerleading and all the expenses that go with that.

I personally feel as a parent that them not having it handed to them, and having to make the choice to continue and realize it means giving up some things makes them both appreicate what they have and there passions more.

My husband and I sometimes wonder if having so many miniatures is worth it. We have about 25 all together. We keep 14 in the barn at night and turned out in the day and the others are broodmares. the broodmares stay in the pasture, but are fed 2 x a day. 5 Are babies born in 2006. We love the little horses and show 5 or 6 of them and do real well. I guess my question is - Do others get discouraged with being tied down at home and having to hire people when you want to go out of town and also the continued cost of feed? Also we have had very little interest in the babies. They are in show shape and people oriented. How do others feel?

I wonder if it is the January doldrums raising this question-we just had the same conversation at our house yesterday. We have 22 now and wondered if that was too many. Basically, we wrote down a list of all the "things" we would do without the minis. Could not come up with even 1! We have cats and dogs and even without the minis, we would be getting someone to "babysit" for us if we left home. The cats and dogs are a lot more trouble I think. We had big horses, then cattle, goats, chickens, you name it. All animals take responsibility and care. We talked and we have never had any animal we enjoy as much as the minis. I know, I swear ever time I spend a week without sleep watching the monitor for a pregnant mare to foal, "This is the very LAST time!!!". But then I hold that sweet little baby and I am sunk....I know I will go through it all again to have that sweet baby. We do sell the babies to help pay for hay, etc. That is the ONLY part I hate. We keep the fillies. But if they go to good homes and make other people happy, why not?

We take the minis and do things we would NEVER have done before, parades, interaction with strangers, you name it. I am basically a people shy person and the minis have opened up a whole world for us! We have traveled 10 times more since we had the minis than before. We have met wonderful people and seen things we would have missed. So we don't feel tied down at all. My brother even gave me a GARMIN for Christmas since we travel so much picking up and delivering horses!

I know I can't do this forever. One day I will not be able to care for them and they will all have to go. THAT will be the saddest day of my life.

I have always loved horses. I just love having horses around, it's great therapy. As I am a bit of a home-body, staying home really doesn't bother me, and I don't feel tied down in the least bit. I love having the animals. When I do get the chance to go somewhere for a day, I worry about my animals; so I'm most comfortable just being home.I couldn't have said it better myself! Chanda's statement suits me to a "T", except I don't necessarily worry about the animals, I just miss them! My husband sometimes wishes we weren't tied down, but even when we have the opportunity to go, we don't. And to tell you the truth, we only have 6, and even at that number, we're still tied down to home. The only difference is that we're not overwhelmed, and there's more time to just love them.

[SIZE=10pt]I couldnt imagine not having my animals - like some one else said - I actually use them as an exuse to turn down out of town trips. I prefur being home and love being able to look out the window and see all our furry four leggers! Though we feel we are at our limit now - two riders ( hopefully one more on the way ), one mini stallion, one medium sized long ears and two boarded mini mares.[/SIZE]

Lori

Even with one horse at home, anyone who has 'pets' or whatever is going to be tied down. My vacations are the horse shows, and nationals. Otherwise, I dont take one. I did go overseas last year, and worried the whole time, though my daughter and family took excellent care of the critters. If they are a burdon, I would say it was time to cut back some or completely, as even with a few, you are still tied there

I wonder if it is the January doldrums raising this question-we just had the same conversation at our house yesterday.

Good point Suzie!
default_yes.gif
:

It's also such an individual thing. We have 25 minis and two big horses right now, and though it kind of seems like a lot at this time of year with the cold and having to feed hay and keep them in stalls more because of the winter weather, I like this amount of horses for me. I enjoy leading them to and from their turnouts in the fields, and watching them interact, and keeping their stalls and runs cleaned and their waterers sparkling. I enjoy feeding them and watching them eat happily. I'm still waiting for the two horses from a friend of mine (she can't keep all of hers, zoning issues) and I do have foals arriving in the spring, so some horses will have to be sold to keep my herd right around this number. I am lucky in that my husband enjoys helping me out with so many horsey-things these days, and it's fun to work together.

Someday I will have to cut back somewhat, but for now, for me, the number I have is good.
default_smile.png

Well I have 12 minis-2 stallions, 1 gelding, 4 mares in foal for 2007, 1 open mare, 2 2005 fillies and 2 2006 fillies(may be getting another mare in foal), 2 arabians-both mares(may have traded one for mini mare in foal and may buy a homebred mare back), 2 dogs(both males), a cat(male-fixed), and a rabbit here(male), then about 50 head of jerseys(1 bull, 1 steer, 1 bull calf and rest are cows and heifers). So pretty busy. Though we are lucky as we can leave and my parent in laws live next door and do the chores while we are away, also in the summer, my husbands 2 cousins stay with us and take care of the animals for us. They are great. They are pictured in some of the photos on my website in the miniature section. They love the minis, even showed them and also showed my arabians and had a blast.
default_smile.png

Although I love horses, I feel best when I have lower numbers.. If something goes wrong with a horse it gets my attention, and I mean serious attention. Everything (family, meals, husband) else takes the back burner.. now knowing this, if the numbers of horses are kept to a minimum, then the likelihood of a unpredictable problem with them is reduced also.

So yes, although I started out with 5 miniatures at one point, now I have 2 mares and one stallion, (total 3) that is my "keeper stock."

I have learned that "quality", and not quanity- in owning miniatures, is better than owning more...

With only three miniatures, I worry about them less, things are always under control, feed bills are way less, No selling stresses, and lots of time for each horse to get attention..

Its just my 2 cents worth, but take your nicest horses, and keep only what is not over-taxing in numbers..as they are just as enjoyable in smaller numbers, than many... I found exellent homes for all the miniatures I sold, by just being patient and waiting for the right home to come along, so I have peace with that decision.

Thinking you have to "go big, or get big" is a frequent mistake that has taken its toll on many families, and marriages, when a few would have been the right choice..

Besides all that,- the miniature horse world is selling lots of registered nice babies- for "very reasonable prices", because the market is so flooded right now..So the incentive to "breed to sell" is way down.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like you need a break. Don't worry about showing or breeding, find something just fun to do with your minis for a while. Your enthusiasm will come back for breeding or showing, or you just might decide to take off in a different direction with your minis. Showing takes a lot of work and traveling, and even tho I look forward to it and it's fun, there sure is alot of stress leading up to it. We have more minis than you and don't get away from home much. Definately having to cut down on some numbers. I am leaning more toward just trail driving my minis, doing CDEs and the like. We have found we are selling more to good pet homes rather than show homes. The enthusiasm of the first time owner is catching. Lots of open shows and parades reduces the stress of showing at breed shows. I guess what I'm trying to say is --take a break and take time to smell the roses with your minis!

Latest posts

Back