How many is too many?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdhand

Reaction score
My husband and I sometimes wonder if having so many miniatures is worth it. We have about 25 all together. We keep 14 in the barn at night and turned out in the day and the others are broodmares. the broodmares stay in the pasture, but are fed 2 x a day. 5 Are babies born in 2006. We love the little horses and show 5 or 6 of them and do real well. I guess my question is - Do others get discouraged with being tied down at home and having to hire people when you want to go out of town and also the continued cost of feed? Also we have had very little interest in the babies. They are in show shape and people oriented. How do others feel?

Do others get discouraged with being tied down at home ...

This about the only part of your question I can answer. I have always loved horses, but haven't ridden as much in the last few years, so felt I didn't need 6 saddle horses (2 trained, 4 youngsters). So, I got into miniatures and sold down to 3 full-size. I just love having horses around, it's great therapy. My husband and I raise beef cattle, so we don't/can't vacation anyway; this is our job, there are no vacations. As I am a bit of a home-body, staying home really doesn't bother me, and I don't feel tied down in the least bit. I love having the animals. When I do get the chance to go somewhere for a day, I worry about my animals; so I'm most comfortable just being home.

When you start feeling it isn't worth it, than it is probably too many.
default_yes.gif
: If you are discouraged with being tied down then it is time to make changes. And there isn't much purpose in having foals if you aren't keping them but have no others interested in them. We are homebodies so having the minis don't make us feel "tied down" and if we do decide to go somewhere we have a daughter that comes and tends to them....but we only have 8. We enjoy the horses so much and if I ever felt they were too much work or took too much of our time I would be finding them different homes. If you have too many just send a couple here
default_wink.png
: Mary

My husband and I sometimes wonder if having so many miniatures is worth it. We have about 25 all together. We keep 14 in the barn at night and turned out in the day and the others are broodmares. the broodmares stay in the pasture, but are fed 2 x a day. 5 Are babies born in 2006. We love the little horses and show 5 or 6 of them and do real well. I guess my question is - Do others get discouraged with being tied down at home and having to hire people when you want to go out of town and also the continued cost of feed? Also we have had very little interest in the babies. They are in show shape and people oriented. How do others feel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 6 cats, 3 dogs, 2 fish, a mouse, a miniature horse and hopefully soon i will have another miniature. I just recently had to say goodbye to my pony that I had for almost 15 years. I can barely run to the grocery store without having to have a baby sitter for them (I'm joking, hehe) but seriously overnight trips are right out, anything longer then that is completely impossible. My husband and I never travel together. I had to leave him home when i went with my dad to my brothers wedding because someone had to stay home with the animals. It is a very rare thing for me to resent that, or wish it were different though I do have my moments. In general I would much rather be home with my animals then traveling and I use them as an excuse to avoid trips I would otherwise feel obligated to take, lol.

However, I know we are at our maximum right now. In fact we have too many dogs and cats, really. No matter what we won't ever have more then 2 dogs and 4 cats in the future. I know where my limit is, I passed it before because I was doing rescue and couldn't say no, but I've had to say no now for financial reasons and while I will eventually do rescue again it will always be on a small scale.

I had to make up my mind that I would only keep as many as i could enjoy keeping. If you are finding that the effort and work outweighs the fun then you have answered your question yourself, you have too many. It isn't fair to you or them to be stressed out over their care. By keeping more then you can handle mentally, emotionally and physically you risk getting really burned out and giving up on them completely and that would be a shame.

I have always loved horses. I just love having horses around, it's great therapy. As I am a bit of a home-body, staying home really doesn't bother me, and I don't feel tied down in the least bit. I love having the animals. When I do get the chance to go somewhere for a day, I worry about my animals; so I'm most comfortable just being home.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Chanda's statement suits me to a "T", except I don't necessarily worry about the animals, I just miss them! My husband sometimes wishes we weren't tied down, but even when we have the opportunity to go, we don't. And to tell you the truth, we only have 6, and even at that number, we're still tied down to home. The only difference is that we're not overwhelmed, and there's more time to just love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many is 1 more than you can give better than minimum feed, vet, farrier and emotional time and 1 on 1 time. For me that number of total horses at home is 10. Right now I have 1 stallion here 3 geldings two are babies and 1 is a boarder, and I have 6 mares. I have another colt and a syndicate share at the trainers and breeding rights to a stallion at Docs. Thats my max number of horses that I can better than adequately take care of on a daily basis mostly by myself. I usually show 2 -3 a year.

Lyn

Let's see............I've had ONE vacation since 1983!! Went to St. Thomas because my brother lives there. Guess where we went there? Yep.........the racing stables & the Humane Society!!! Can't stay away from animals no matter where I am, I guess. Ok, we did go to the beach etc., but I worried the whole time we were gone.

I think the maximum number would be different for just about everyone, and would change, too, as people's lives change and evolve.

For me, my primary reason for having miniatures is because I enjoy them. If any of what we do with our minis started to feel like a too much work, then there would be some changes made.

Life's too short to turn a hobby into a chore!

I didn't say that I didn't love them. We love watching them play and also showing is very fun. It is just hard to find someone to feed 25 when you go out of town. We feed them Nutrene Vitality 12% and some that are too heavy get the Lite Balance. The show horses are fed Vitality 14% and beet pulp. Feeding them isn't stressful I enjoy it. I think I would feel better if I had about half the miniatures I have. 12 or 13 instead of 25. I basically like being a home body. We also have 5 dogs, 1 cat, a tank full of fish, a fish pond, and 6 big horses. I think I need to get rid of half of the big horses also. I think what triggered my questions was my feed bill this month was $840.00 and I just about fainted. I love to hear what you all have to say so keep posting. :bgrin

My family has had minis since before I was born, so they've never felt like a burden--they've always felt like an extension of my family. We've also never bred for more than 3 foals in one year. To be fair, though, when I moved for school we did reduce the herd from around 30 to 13 to make sure they all got proper care and attention. As far as being tied down--my grandma and I may be the only active horse lovers in the family, but everyone else knows the routine, so there's always extra help when we need it.

Our highest number was 23 miniatures & that was a bit too many for me... Feed bill was not so bad but the possibility of future vet bills was a big concern. I am also much of a home body. The last few years Lee has gone to the out of state horse shows without me. I just have not found a reliable feeder but Lee says I am too much of a perfectionist to let someone else take care of them.............. Once we finally made the decision to downsize I wondered why we did not do it sooner.......... From the way I read your post perhaps you have passed your comfort level on the number that you prefer. But whether you have one or twenty, someone has to feed them when you leave - it might be easier to find someone to feed fewer & the grain bill is certainly less................. There is no way we could afford your last feed bill. :no:

At one point I was up to 45 head - which was not a problem because I had more than adequate pastures and my paddocks/feeding areas were set up in such a way that it was EASY taking care of them.

If finding someone to take care of them is an issue - it doesn't matter if you have 1 horse or 25. When I lived in Wisconsin - I talked to the ag teacher and he suggested a girl who was planning on going to school to be an equine vet....and best of all, she lived just across the fields. All those years and I had never met her. She was worth her weight in gold and I NEVER worried about being gone for an extended period.

When I moved to Arkansas (now have 20 head) -- I contacted the ag teacher plus several 4-H leaders, and found 3 kids to help me out. One is FANTASTIC, the other 2 are OK -- they do the job but just don't have the "it" factor. But possibly are trainable. So all in all, I feel comfortable being gone for Nationals, vacations, etc.

The key is walking them through everything at least once or twice. Making sure they understand the difference between rolling to scratch, and rolling in pain, etc., and giving them DETAILED written instructions, along with numbers to contact if a problem.

And if the feed bill is putting a financial strain on you -- your first priority MUST be your family and its financial security. So if you are cutting them short....it's time to start cutting some horses.

Dinda, first of all, I have seen your horses at the shows and you have much to be proud of. Your horses are so very well turned out and lovely and your hard work shows. I've watched your gentle hand with them too that shows how much you do love them. I dont' talk much to people at shows, but I do watch and observe.

I was over horsed in Florida with Quarter Horses and up to my neck and at my wits end. I had a 21 stall barn and every stall was filled with my horses and client horses and a waiting list a mile long. That was my livelyhood and how I got a paycheck. It was no fun. Too much work on one person. Too much hauling, & way too many shows. I promised myself I would never ever ever get in a mess like that again. I have 10 horses now and when the day comes that I don't have quality time to spend grooming and playing with each one, that tells me something is wrong and a change is needed. I think horses should enhance your life, but not rule it.

Being over-horsed not only drains you physically, but can drain you mentally as well and thin your wallet quickly. I have my limit and I'm on a fixed income and a budget. I know when to stop and I might not breed any mares this year. Things can get out of control way too fast and I cannot have that here. I won't begrudge or compromise one's horses needs because I spread myself to thin.

I cannot go anywhere, not even a day trip. Jerry would love to take Dan and I someplace, but there is no one I can trust locally to hire to take over my daily stable duties and I mean no one. I don't mind that too much because I am a homebody, but right now, a family get-away would be in order for us, but is not possible.

I understand your question...all too well.
default_sad.png
I have asked myself that several times in recent months. I have always set my limit to 10 minis (altho, I have had as many as 15 at one time due to foals) I don't want more minis than I have stalls, as I like to stall them all in individual stalls at night. I currently have 10 & expecting only two foals this year....yet I am still contemplating selling a few more, as my parents are in failing health, that is requiring much of my attention. This is taking a lot of my time...physically, and also taking a great emotional toll. I feel like there is just not enough of me to go around & I don't have the time to spend with the minis that I should. My Mother is now blind & has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers. My Father has diabetes....but does pretty well at age 84, taking care of Mom & still drives some. But I can see him failing too.............and I know that my life has come to a point where it is going to change dramatically. I am the primary caregiver for my parents & I love them dearly. I feel guilty expecting my dear husband to do all the barn chores, because I am tied up with them.

So, yes, your question will have different answers depending on each person's lifestyle. 25 would be WAY too many for me...heck, right now 10 is too many.

I think if your problem is the feed bill.....I would be looking at eliminating most of the big horses, as that is where most of the feed is going.

The most I can keep is six if I ever get my own place. My mom has several and she lives for it. Me? I don't want all that responsibliity of that many horses. Six is enough for me.
default_yes.gif
: And that way I can still get in an animal care service for going out of town I figure.

I currently have 25 miniatures and would really like to get down to about 15.

I have had as many as 45 in the past, but have been in a herd reduction mode for a couple of years. I am breeding fewer mares each year and offering many for sale that ordinarily would not have been available. I would also like to simplify to the point where it is not a dreaded task to do the barn chores and trim hooves.

I feel your pain!!!!

:saludando: Hi!

Jean, that is a GREAT idea about talking to a FFA instructor or 4-H leader! I will have to look into that!

My vacation is when I go to the shows....

And it's real difficult at times since I'm a single/divorced mom of 2 young boys.... so I have no extra help at home with feeding when I go to shows. And I too am a perfectionist and am extremly picky on how my horses are fed and treated.... those are my kids also!! I currently have 6 but will be haivng 2 more come towards the end of Jan. But am also wanting to sell 2 of my colts..... but seems like the markets slow right now??? I'd be happy if I could sell one of my colts... both are very nice..... BUT..... I'd like to stay down to just 6 or 7. That is pleanty (not too much... but enough!)....... And I will have 4 mares...... but have decided that I am just going to breed 2 a year and give the ones that foal this year a year off so I am not bombarded with babies and having to worry about getting them sold to make room for the next years babies since I only am on 5 acres. And I have pen/stall space for everyone..... And will not ever have more than I don't have pen/stall space for because everyone has thier own eating regumine/requirements.

When I do leave to go to shows I usually haul 3 or 4 and then the mares usually are the ones at home and they can go in and out to pasture..... but where I've changed everyone's feed program this year....... And have 2 more than I need or want at the moment....... If I can't get a good reliable feed person that I don't have to worry about when I'm gone..... I may be hauling a few extra to the show just so I can feed them and not have to worry about them
default_wacko.png
: ....... I know if there's a will there's a way! lol!
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with the previous post on downsizing the big horses . I figured it out one time, I can feed 7 minis for the same price as one full-size horse. That should downsize that feed bill
default_yes.gif
:

I am also a home body. I have taken day trips with my husband where we turn the horses out a.m. and returned by evening. We even stayed at a hotel one night : we brought the horses in a little early , went to dinner , stayed overnight, and returned the next morning. Everything worked out , I don't even think the horses suspected a thing
default_wink.png
:

Very wise words Jean. Too often I hear the kids are being neglected in order to feed, show or vet the horses! When the horses get a balanced diet and the kids are fed beans or ramen noodles, it is time to give up some if not all horses. Family definitely should be the priority in care and financial security...horses are a luxury.
default_yes.gif

[And if the feed bill is putting a financial strain on you -- your first priority MUST be your family and its financial security. So if you are cutting them short....it's time to start cutting some horses.

Very wise words Jean. Too often I hear the kids are being neglected in order to feed, show or vet the horses! When the horses get a balanced diet and the kids are fed beans or ramen noodles, it is time to give up some if not all horses. Family definitely should be the priority in care and financial security...horses are a luxury.
default_yes.gif

[And if the feed bill is putting a financial strain on you -- your first priority MUST be your family and its financial security. So if you are cutting them short....it's time to start cutting some horses.
I have never heard of that, but I believe it. I grew up riding since my mom was into horses, but that was our life. We only had 5 big horses at the most however. I agree, family should come before having pets, that's why I'm sticking with pets :bgrin

Latest posts

Back