How many days after breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esty

Reaction score
Hi,

Once a mare goes out of heat, is it 21 days from last first day of heat or last til they should come back in?

Thanks

Esty

I think it is 21 days after the last day in (Somebody Correct Me if I'm Wrong
default_wink.png
)

I think that is correct. Mares cycle about once every 21-23 days and within that time, has 3-8 days of heat (receptive to stallion). It is near the end of this stage that she ovulates and is fertile, I think.

The whole cycle is 21 days, 5-7 days in heat, 14 days out. So she should start coming back in about two weeks after ovulation.

Thanks so much, i have always went by 21 days from day mare comes into heat. [which usually works if the heat cycle is normal]When some mares stay in heat for a long time 21 days from first day of heat seems to close together. 14 days from last day in heat makes way more since.

Esty

21 days from the first day of heat, not from ovulation!!

Roughly speaking, and depending on how long the mare is in heat, it is about ten days from the last day of showing to the first day of showing.

Not sure about other people but my mares often come in quite slowly, so they may show heat a couple of days before they will stand for the stallion.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is "by the book" a mare's total cycle is 21 days. She should be in heat 7 days, out for 14, then back in. So count 14 days from her last day of heat and that's when she should be back in. Of course we all know horses, sespecially minis don't always go by the book, so I start teasing at 12 days from her last day of heat just in case she showed signs of being heat another day or so after ovulating, or if she short cycles herself.

Latest posts

Back