How late would you transport preg mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetheart

Reaction score
I have a mare that is due March 1 who is bagged up already. I've had her under camera for past 2 weeks already. A really nice family with horses and horse experience (but not mini experience) expressed an interest in buying her in January and I told them they'd have to move her before Feb. 1 if they wanted her. They dragged their heels, and just got in touch with me again yesterday. They still want her, want to trailer her tomorrow, they have a barn, etc. and it would only be a 1 hour trailer ride. My inclination is to say that they'll have to wait until after the foal is born, but then I'm wondering if it would be more dangerous to transport mom and foal together later than the short trip for pregnant mom now? It's such a good home, but I really don't want to stress out the mare so close to foaling. She's had three foals before, all without incident, and the family is aware of the problems minis can have with foaling and that they'll have to do mare stare etc. Suggestions?

I would personally not have any problem with trailering her only an hour's drive.

Larry agrees.....especially since it's happening tomorrow.

MA

i guess im different. I would not move this mare so close to her foaling date. not because shell lose the foal but because thats a lot of stress on a mare about to foal. we had a similiar situation last year and we made them wait until the foal was 6 weeks old.

Kay

I agree with Kay kay....not because she will lose her foal but horses are VERY aware of their surroundings....to the point that safety and security is actually the most important thing to a horse...even more than food so it would unsettle her and she may be about to foal any day, then she could delay her foaling for another few weeks and the foal isnt born at its optimum time. I personally put my mares in the foaling shed at night 3-4 weeks before they foal so it becomes a "safe" place for them. It is more important than most people realise.

What it comes down to is -- YOU know your mare and how she may react to being transported and well she will settle into a new place. And that's the important thing.

MA

Thanks everyone for your input! As it turns out, it was a moot point. She foaled last night
default_yes.gif
: . Lovely gray colt, textbook delivery. I guess they'll be waiting to get her after all.

Allisa

:lol: Too funny! She sure told YOU where she wanted to foal out!

BTW, my hubby doesn't transport newborns until they are at least a month old......unless it's an emergency, ie. going to the vet.

Those new owners must be chomping at the bit to see the new little one!

MA

LOL well that's a funny story!!!

I did haul a pregnant mare 4 hours to the midwife's only to have her delivery THAT NIGHT and I had to go pick her up the next day.....tricky tricky tricky

Latest posts

Back