How hard is it to find an all white horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
Next year I am going to add my very last horse to my herd. But what I really want is an all white horse. Some of my friends think I am crazy thinking they would be dirty all the time but I brush my horses at least every other day so I am not worried about that.

I was just wondering how hard it is to find an all white horse that ISN'T appy bred. I really don't want to breed for appy and one year I might want to breed my horse.

Just curious on who out there has all white horses that aren't appy bred and what are your thoughts.

It is hard to find an all white horse, because most "white" horses are born colored (e.g. black, bay etc) and then grey as they mature. I don't know many appy bred white horses, I think that might just be your impression. There aren't more white appy breds than non appy breds.

Maximum Sabino or Splash, Voilà- all white!!! Greys are a different ball game as you would get 50% Grey foals, even if she is white. Or you could get a very pale Cremello.

I had two all white foals this year that were both maximum sabinos. Previously, I've had two all white foals that were maximum splashed whites. I may have just what you're looking for next year!

I am learning more every day, was just reading about color in Barbara's book and in reading and looking at my stallion I think he is what she called a silver white. His sire is perlino, his dam is silver dapple. He is registered as palomino but has always been white. All of his features are dark but he never gets gold.

here he is clipped

karen003003.jpg

here he is this summer unclipped but he is dirty, he got to play hooky from the show ring this year.

apollodirty.jpg

Now I could be wrong about his color, probably am, but if you think I am just be nice about how you tell me how wrong I am, please.

As already said....you could look for a Maximum White Sabino or a Maximum White Splash. These would have pink skin, since they are a "true" white (lack of color). But, you can also get a "white" horse with a "Silver-White". This is a horse who is the result of the Silver gene & Gray gene. They are usually born white.....or will turn white very quickly after birth. These horses are very striking, as they usually have dark skin.

Minimom.....your horse is interesting.
yes.gif
Do you know if either parent carries the gray gene & is actually graying? A true Silver-White is what you get when you cross Silver with Gray. But your guy does look very white. He has dark skin, so he can't be Perlino. I would guess that he is just a VERY light palomino. Also....how old is he? I've seen many palominos look white for their first few years...then gradually, their body color will darken up.

He's very pretty, BTW!
yes.gif

He has Blue Boy one time in his pedigree, 4 generations back, everything else is sorrel, chestnut, palomino, and buckskin. One black in there from his dam's side, he is currently a 2 year old, but his color hasn't changed not one bit since I bought him last May. He is a Buckeroo grandson on the top side and a Patton grandson on the bottom. He does carry the silver gene, his dam is silver dapple. But I don't find anything else that even suggests grey. And usually in the older pedigrees most silver dapples were called grey, he has none of those.

Quick look at his pedigree!! I think- I thought when I first saw him- he is a pale Palomino Roan. He may or may not carry Siver....just one way to find out!! He is not a Silver White, which is a misnomer anyway, as such a horse would be just Silver + Grey- are we really going back to just naming a horses colour by the way it looks or shall we bravely forge forwards and describe what they actually are??

Ok so I know he isn't silver white because he doesn't have a parent that is grey. But the only way to tell if he carries the silver gene is through his foals and same with roan gene since a roan is a solid horse with white hairs, you can't possible see his roaning. But the only problem now is the two foals he has due next year are from a very light palomino mare and a silver bay dun. Guess I will just have to continue to guess.

heres our max white geldign we got from lisa. we have only shown him once but he gets tons of comments about "how did you get an all white horse" LOL. Actually he stayed much cleaner thru out the show then i thought he would. he won the color class his first time out which really shocked us.

chief21-may24sm.jpg

Michelle at Wesco has had a line of white horses on her place. Not maximum expression but true white. I know she actually has a white mare for sale that has produced true white foals.

I have owned 2 white horses, both were white when they were born, Koolwhip, was a white sabino mare, she had 2 dark eyes, her first colt was an all white sabino with 2 brown eyes, her next foal was a balck and white filly. We had an all white filly born this year from a splashed white mare(Holly's mother), and a Homozygous stallion, she had 2 blue eyes, all white horses are fairly common, and they are beautiful when they are clean.

rabbitsfizz said:
Maximum Sabino or Splash, Voilà- all white!!!  Greys are a different ball game as you would get 50% Grey foals, even if she is white.  Or you could get a very pale Cremello.
502481[/snapback]

Hmm i didnt realize cremellos came in anything but white (appearing ) or very very light colored. I have seen some for lack of a better term darker perlinos and smokey creams (only seen those in big horses no i have seen pics of one mini that color actually it was very pretty)

I have had several cremellos currently down to just one she isnt really all that hard to keep clean of course I dont show her though
wink.gif

Last edited:
We used to have a "white" stallion, he was born more of a light palomino and then really just grayed out. He was a very pretty white though.

Here's a picture of him and my hubby before we sold him. (we also used to dress him up like a unicorn, he was so pretty!)

Lightening.jpg

minimomNC said:
I am learning more every day,  was just reading about color in Barbara's book and in reading and looking at my stallion I think he is what she called a silver white.  His sire is perlino, his dam is silver dapple.  He is registered as palomino but has always been white.  All of his features are dark but he never gets gold. 

502487[/snapback]

Since your horse's sire is a perlino, he *could* carry the gray gene and not show it, since he's so light already. That is, of course, if one of HIS parents is a gray.

I have a gray mare that is getting very white, and I agree, the white horses are very pretty.
wub.gif

I hope you find just what you are looking for!

We've had some sabino whites as well..in fact we have a 2005 filly still that was born with what LOOKED like a medicine hat..after I clipped her it was GONE, not even dark skin..go figure..LOL
flirtacious_tn02.jpg

We've had some REALLY white cremellos and some that are more creamy colored too..the perlino colt, 2WILD4U was pretty white but his winter jammies are yellow -orange !

We have several champagne mares as well that are gold <chestnut> + cream + champagne..WHITE WHITE WHITE horses!!

We think white horses are really pretty...they certainly stand out in the pasture..at least until winter... then around here you have to look hard to find them
wink.gif

We had a white filly this year. She is a maximum expresion sabino. She has pink skin and blue eyes. She has a tiny spot of color inside her right ear. There is no known appy breeding in her bloodlines. She's a cutie but likes to roll in the mud (LOL)

--RachelJ

www.jbarcminis.com

In fact I have only ever seen one white Appy bred animal and that was a Fewspot- which are pretty rare. So Appy breeding would not be the way to go. White as a colour, of course, does not exist in horses, it has to be a maximum expression or a Grey whited out, or a pale Cremello , no white "coloured" horses exist, per se,.

Here is my white horse.........of coarse the dirty version
rolleyes.gif
Nah shes not really white, but looks it.

feather1.jpg

This is my maximum splash overo colt, Mack. He has a tiny spot of black inside one ear and a titch of black hairs in his tail that you have to look hard to find but otherwise he is startlingly pure white and fortunately for me he likes to stay that way. Quite a prissy boy he hates dirt!
biggrin.gif
Absolutely no appy characteristics.

Mackgood.jpg

By the way qtrmoonfarm how is my favorite boy, 2Wild doing? Pictures of his fluffy yellow winter coat???? pretty please

Latest posts

Back