How gradually do I ease my yearlings onto grain for their first time?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle

Reaction score
I will be starting my yearlings on Equine Junior for the first time. They've never had grain before -- just hay and pasture grass. I want to make sure I build up their grain intake very slowly so they don't get sick. My question is...how slowly do I introduce them to the grain and build up from just a tiny bit to the full recommended amount? Thanks so much for any advice!

I will be starting my yearlings on Equine Junior for the first time. They've never had grain before -- just hay and pasture grass. I want to make sure I build up their grain intake very slowly so they don't get sick. My question is...how slowly do I introduce them to the grain and build up from just a tiny bit to the full recommended amount? Thanks so much for any advice!
I've always given mine grain while they were still nursing. It went into the stall with the mom and foal, and when I noticed them starting to get interested in it and nibbling, I'd bring them into the barn aisle with their own dish so mom wouldn't eat it all.

In your case, I would make sure they had just eaten their hay or grass, and then go ahead and put a quarter cup or so into their grain feeder. If they've never had grain it might take them a bit to get interested in it, but they will. Just keep it at a quarter cup for maybe five days or so and then increase it a bit more for the next several days and follow that pattern until they are at the level you want them. Introducing any new feed should be done slowly so as to avoid tummy upsets, but if you start with a small amount and don't increase it for almost a week their guts should be able to get used to it easily.

And truth be told, when I switch my mares from Mare and Foal feed to regular feed, I usually mix the two grains half and half for one, maybe two days, and then make the switch. I don't get too anal about those things.

I usually start with a 1/4 of the recommended amount, feed that for a few days, then increase to half, feed for a few days, then 3/4 for a few days then after about a week (to 10 days) you are on the full amount. If you plan to feed twice a day, then 1/2 the amount for each feed (so 1/8th AM and 1/8th PM to start, etc).

Personally I'm not too concerned about gradual--if I were going to give them a gallon in one feed that's one thing, but since they don't get that much...I generally start them with a 500 ml container and then when they're eating that amount good I'll increase it to double that. Anything less than the 500 ml container doesn't amount to much--after all, if I take a handful out to give to someone as a treat, that handful is a good half of that 500 ml container.

Equine Junior is pretty safe feed and probably doesn't require much safety time, with that being said, all feed changes are encouraged to be slow over 2 weeks.

Dr Taylor

I just started them on the feed this morning! I fed them each a handful this morning, and I'll feed them another handful this evening. Does that sound about right? I'm going to go get a scale and some measuring cups tomorrow.

I've always given mine grain while they were still nursing. It went into the stall with the mom and foal, and when I noticed them starting to get interested in it and nibbling, I'd bring them into the barn aisle with their own dish so mom wouldn't eat it all.
I agree. Obviously it is too late for these foals - and I don't know what the particular circumstances are of your yearlings - but the first year is critical to their development, and foals need grain from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it sounds like your foals are weaned this wouldn't work for you, but whatever my weanlings ae going to be eating is what their moms are eating because this teaches the babies to eat well.

Just one word of caution....check those babies every week by feeling under the haircoat. You want a good layer of fat over the ribs. If they feel boney under the hair they aren't getting enough feed or not the right feed for an immature digestive system (Equine Jr is a good one for weanlings, yearlings, 2 year olds). Time after time we see young horses that are in very poor condition from not being fed a sufficient amount of feed, but the long hair hids the bones.

Back