how does your horse act...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

if you have 2 mini's and you take one out to work what does the one left behind do?

• doesn't really care excpecially when left with hay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • whinnies and walks around a little

• paces and runs the fence hollering

• has to be locked in there stall otherwise they don't stop running around upset

• Total voters

Champ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just curious how your horse acts when he or she is left behind while the other one is away from the barn.

We actually had a 2 yr old last year who coliced because her friend went to a show and we left her home. It was gas colic and she is fine but we still havent decided if its because she missed her friend or if it was because she was jealous because she didnt go.

I think we've about had one of each.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My last horse I was showing was a worrier, and would keep me on my toes with worry about him getting colicy. Thankfully, the young gelding I am starting now seems to look around, look like he's going to act out, but sighs and stands there, and starts eating his hay. That is going to be so much easier on my mind.

Maybe I shouldn't count as I have 3 but I'd have to mark more than one spot. The filly doesn't care as long as she has hay. The old gelding will run the fence for maybe a minute. The stud has a fit and hollers loud and long if either of the others get out of sight - No matter what they think; he thinks they're his herd and he's responsible for them! It's funny.

the reason I ask is because I'm thinking of getting a second mini and I don't want this to become an issue, in the last barn I had my mini at he was fine when the others left so I'm hoping that still will be the case otherwise I might have to have 3..... :bgrin

GET THREE! :bgrin just kidding.
default_smile.png

It really depends on the temperament and such of your horses. I have some that you'd swear are attached at the hip to their buddies, and some who don't blink an eye being taken away or left behind (tho being left behind seems to be by far the most traumatic for a horse). They can learn to handle it much better though, if they have problems with it, with training and practice.
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with Magic with that 2 year old we have tried bonding her with others so that the separation wont be an issue during the season this year but like I said I wonder if it wasnt more the fact that she didnt get to go rather than missing her buddy she had been trained as well but her handler couldnt go on show day so she stayed home. We also have one girl who will colic if she doesnt see one of us in the barn every day. Thankfully there are 4 of us shes bonded to so as long as one is there she is fine.

Don't get 3, get 4 - that way if you take 2 somewhere you still have 2 to leave home together!!! It works for us.

Seriously, when we got our first mini as a companion to our big horse, Target, I still wanted to be able to trail ride so I needed to be able to separate them fairly painlessly. Target actually did most of the separation training himself. He would gradually extend his stays out of sight, first cantering back after a brief trip over the hill in his pasture, and then staying away longer and longer. I did some of the work myself by leading him down the driveway and then taking short trail rides and just extending the time away. Of course, now that we have 6 minis, the problem is solved. Except now our minis will ALL whinny when my husband and I leave for walks without them!

We've got 7 Mini's here and none of them care if they are left in alone or are with the others. They are all worked by themselves, clipped alone, have their feet done alone,etc...they all learned pretty quickly that if they behave and just do the task at hand, they get to go back with their buddies. The one(s) left behind also figured out that it's not worth getting worked up over because the others do return eventually. I've got two 2-Year-Old filly's who are best buddies and do everything together...but, you can also seperate them without a fuss. Even when we only had 2 Mini's, we never had a problem taking 1 and not the other. If I have to leave 1 Mini in the barn by themselves to wait for the vet, dentist,etc it's not a problem...they wait quietly in their stall and their buddies are busy outside. If anything, when we had my Saddlebreds at the house, the SAddlebreds had an issue when the Mini's left. The Mini's didn't care at all, but the Saddlebreds used to throw a fit with the Mini's out of their sight
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Jen

My Mom and I each have a mini. My horse Banner doesn't care will just walk around the pen finding interesting bits of hay and tossing them around, pretty much amuses himself :488: . My Mom's Horse Buck with jog around and whinny for a little while before resigning himself to the fact that his friend is 'gone forever' even if he's only 20 feet away Jumping or what ever. But luckily none of ours totally lose it when they're alone
default_yes.gif
:

Ash

Depends on the animal. If I take Theia out and Maggie wants to come out to pull her cart..... she will nicker at me....granted while she is grazing and peeking at me with one eye through her forelock.

If I take Maggie out... Theia will nay a couple of times and that is it. Unless Theia wants to play.

Take Donkey out and Dyfra just has no worries.

Not Ella..aka..Donkey....she is a princess...she throws the most funny tantrums anyone will ever see. One of these days I am going to take a video short of her doing it.

Latest posts

Back