how do you train

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a fantastic post. Can we have this pinned in the permanent section?

Yes, WHOA is the foundation of everything and I begin working on it with my weanling halter horses. I am rarely successful even if I can get a 30 second whoa on which I end the session by asking them to move up, but we eventually get longer and longer.

Everyone's right, you have to correct and move back to the place they started as soon as they step out. It is tedious and time consuming, and something to at least attempt once a week in the winter months. For young horses, I'd keep the lesson ten minutes or less (less for an actual weanie). For an adult, twenty minutes is plenty. It is a repetitive process and once you have the hooves planted, then the neck position and head position can come into play.

Another point is that sometimes you can sort of see a horse beginning to move out of place (the beginning of a step, etc.) and you can reaffirm with a whoa, but if they go so far as to step out, push them right back into place and never end a session where they've "gotten away." Wait until you have them standing even if it's only for ten seconds and YOU have asked them to move out (as in giving them the signal to walk with you away from the whoa you asked for).

This IS a nice topic I am always learning and yes, like kaykay said, there are always basic issues that are a struggle. I find it very difficult to enforce the distance at shows whereas at home I can basically walk circles around my horses, at the show, I feel like I have to be right on top of them to keep their attention on ME. That is another thing, the horse should be watching you.

If they begin to look past or around you, then tug down a bit w/the lead and say something to them. This will help them also not to just start walking off. This is a key point as body language tells you what they're going to do, and they will eventually follow their eyes. Keep their eyes on you. This is why the lessons need to be short and sweet, but practice in different venues and situations if possible. I like to try and have at least three feet between myself and my horse's head when setting them for halter.

Liz

In this photo he is not "rubber necking" yet his neck set is, in my opinion, still to far forward.

aramis5.jpg

This one where he is more "up and out" gives a much better overall presentation.

aramis4.jpg

You can see (besides his horribly overgrown feet, just brought him home from lessee
default_wacko.png
: ) when they over stretch their neck it makes them look heavier in the front end as his weight is shifted forward. Very seldom can you do one thing and not have effect another part of the horse, always look for the best "balanced" presentation.

what I want to know is how do you stop them from moving their feet in the first place!!???? :)
Here is a novel idea! Teach the horse to WHOA! WHOA means stop......plant it........don't move. It's the most basic, but yet the most important command you can teach a horse. It is the first thing every halter horse of ours learns.
I agree with this.. now dont get me wrong my horses arent perfect and sometimes creep up on me especially during the LOONNNGG Nationals halter classes but they are all voice trained for walk trot and Whoa again they dont listen 100 percent of the time however they do know what it means and now there is heck to pay if they dont.

I also find if I only practice the standing still for 5 min+ at a time and dont worry about the neck then oddly enough the neck seems to come much easier when it really counts

When we were at a training clinic - we were told if the horse steps UP and out of place - do not move him back - but bring him up and reset - that he is moving into a more comfortable stance in his mind and will be more likely to stay set up if You adjust to where he wants (or course common sense says he still has to be in a set up position)

Latest posts

Back