How do you tell a mare is preggo.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart k ranch

Reaction score
I have a mare that I bred on the 9th. I wanted to see if there is a test to see if she was preggo for sure. My vet will not US her. So I'm looking for a test to see if she is. I know I really need to find a vet that will US but I can't find one that will do minis

I keep thinking I saw a test that would do it before 45 days...

Your vet should be able to pull blood from your mare and find out that way. I just had this done with one of my mares, since our vet also does not ultrasound Mini's. She had me wait until I knew she was atleast 100 days past her breeding date before she pulled blood though. I know there are a few different tests you can buy to check her yourself, but I've never used any. Our former vet used to Ultrasound them and our current vet does it with a blood test on the Mini's.

~Jen~

The Pregnamare test will detect pregnancy as early as 40 days. It is a do-it-yourself blood test and much cheaper than having your vet do it. I have used it several times with accurate results. Do either a forum or Google search for "Pregnamare" and you should be able to find a dealer. I think Vet Supply carries it, as do some forum members. It costs roughly $40.

I have used Pregna-Mare several times with 100% results whether they were pregnant or not. It's simple (for me), just make sure you follow the directions 100%..

While you're waiting for the test... have some fun and do the Ring Test! I've had some great luck telling whether the mare is bred or not (100%) and like 60% correct on the sex of the foal, which is not much higher than coincidence! LOL

Take a ring, without stones, like a wedding band, and tie it to a string. I use the string from the top of grain bags. Baling twine is too thick.

Hold the ring on a string over the hips of the mare-- kind of in line with the udder.

Stop the ring from swinging and stand real still. It helps to have someone hold the mare.

If the mare is pregnant the ring will start moving.

A circle means a filly.

A line back and forth means a colt.

If it doesn't move at all then the mare is not bred.

It's something to do in the winter months! I'm expecting 1 filly so far!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
While you're waiting for the test... have some fun and do the Ring Test! I've had some great luck telling whether the mare is bred or not (100%) and like 60% correct on the sex of the foal, which is not much higher than coincidence! LOL

Take a ring, without stones, like a wedding band, and tie it to a string. I use the string from the top of grain bags. Baling twine is too thick.

Hold the ring on a string over the hips of the mare-- kind of in line with the udder.

Stop the ring from swinging and stand real still. It helps to have someone hold the mare.

If the mare is pregnant the ring will start moving.

A circle means a filly.

A line back and forth means a colt.

If it doesn't move at all then the mare is not bred.

It's something to do in the winter months! I'm expecting 1 filly so far!! LOL
I'll try that!!! I have a mare that I know is preggo so I'll see if it start doing circles! out of 22 foals only 1 has been a boy!!!

Latest posts

Back