How do you remember

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
I think most of us has lost a horse that was very special... Now I wonder, How do you remember them? In a corner of my kitchen I made this special place.

IMG_4314.JPG

The halter is the one she had on when she died, with some of her manes. The ribbon and the cup are from our championship in 2008...

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a really nice place for her.
default_smile.png
I have a wind chime that I hung up in the pasture under our house. My dear friend told me that when I hear it ..it is her visiting me. I kept the hair from her mane and tail, but most of my memories are in my head...of the special times we spent alone together, all the times I burried my nose into her neck for a good smell and kiss. I still remember what it felt like to burry my face in her soft fur.
default_wub.png

We barry our beloved horses inside the pasture. The Larger Arabs that died from old age....are barried right in the woods. Near our trails. We tell our kids are beloved Arab is gaurding them. Sounds sappy, but she is. I raised this mare since she was 2, she is 22. I can not talk about the day, with out tears. Thank God she is healthy.

I the home we have pieces of talis on trophies, with ribbons and stall plaques. God Love them, even when their lives are cut short, I am always thankful I was blessed to know them. And be with them when they pass.

I saved my sweet old man's tail hair when I had to have him put down. I had this beautiful bracelet made from some of it. I miss him, and I treasure this keepsake.

th_vikingbraceletlisa.jpg

I love the bracelet! I cut the manes to make a bracelet out of it. Unfortunatly they needed hairs from the tail, so now the hair is hanging on the wall

That's an easy one for me. The walls in my barn are decorated with all our family memorabilia and special pieces of art work friends had sent. You might say its our family museum.

I planned it that way. I have several walls decorated with our bits and bridles, our pony's saddle pad, our passed horses's stall name plates, plaques, ribbons, and trophies the kids won. Some people might ask why on earth would I choose to display such important memories out in a barn instead of in the house. I would say because to me, my barn is my church, my solace, where life still lives.

I have some other very special things that haven't been added just yet until I get them framed.

decoratedwalls2-1.png

decoratedwalls.png

decoratedwalls3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Through photography and art work. I keep pieces of their manes/tails too. I still cant seem to change my avatar...

Mckeeverportrait.jpg

mckeever.jpg

McKeeverandI.jpg

Mckeever is one example. I have more pictures but its time for me to do some more new stuff with my lost loved ones I think.

We have always buried the horses as close to the barn as possible. I would never have one of my friends hauled off on a trailer.

I buy myself a nice piece of jewelry so that when I wear the jewelry I can remember my special friend. I have a nice pair of earrings with horses on them for my Bear horse and a nice, silver Robert Lee Morris ring with hearts on it for Rocky.

Rocky's (Seven S Shamrock AQHA) bridle and bit hang on the wall, in the house, along with his show pictures.

I saved my sweet old man's tail hair when I had to have him put down. I had this beautiful bracelet made from some of it. I miss him, and I treasure this keepsake.
Sunrise Valley, that is the most beautiful horsehair bracelet I've seen! And it's so different--I haven't seen one in a style like that. Can you please share where you had it made? I would like to have one made from two of my big guys that have passed.

Thanks much.

Rebecca

Please share where you got this. It's wonderful.

We have a wall in our family room that is covered with photos of our horses, including those that have passed.. I saved some mane hair from my beloved Star (my first ever miniature) when I lost her to colic and made a dream catcher out of it, seemed fitting since she helped start and fuel my dream of owning and raising miniature horses.. I also wrote a short story of her, which I sent in to the Miniature Horse World Magazine after encouragement from friends, was in one of the issues last fall so I have that framed on the wall hanging with her photos and dreamcatcher.. Fantom, we still have her daughter that we raised, no way in the world we could ever part with her, so we spoil and love her twice over, once for her and once for her momma that we only had a short time to love.. I also had Watcheye put together a picture of the three girls and it hangs as the centerpiece on the wall:

Angels.jpg

Very nice jewelry............great idea!

My young stallion died suddenly two years ago. He was a big horse and the reason I got into minis I bought my first two minis, a colt and a filly..in memory of him and in an effort to comfort Ike my other big horse who was left alone on our small farm.

I have put Wieger's tail and pictures in the top drawer of my dresser for safe keeping. He was on the way to the university in the trailer when he died, we pulled over on the side of the road after I heard him go down. On the ground, next to the trailer door was a gold cross that must have fallen off someone's necklace. It was shinning in the sunlight and It was the only thing that comforted me in the moment, I have the cross in his drawer.

I guess I will have to come up with some other way for the others I lose...only so many drawers

Thanks for letting me share and for sharing your special places...

Latest posts

Back