how do you feel about auctions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promise

Reaction score
Okay, just a question, have any of you ever been to the semi annual mini auction in south central PA? It is this saturday (29th) and is exit 5 off of 81. How do you all feel about auctions, or have any of you ever attended this auction, is it any good? I am looking for another mini (boy)colt or weanling, and am just wondering if this is worth my time.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Promise
yes.gif

I just went my first minihorse auction on Saturday. I met some really nice local people, since we are new to the area. I am not an expert or even modertly good at judging, but there were some fantastic looking horse that sold at good prices. IMO!

I think if you can not spot ailments or like myself to new to the miniworld, try to go with someone that will help you with selection. Also, next time I will try to go to the open viewing they have the day before at this auction.

Also, bring someone that will help you restrain from going over your budget if you have one!

Christine

Are there any mini auctions/sales around the Texas area?

I've never heard of one, but I'd love to go watch....you never know what you may fall in love with!
biggrin.gif

It is buyer beware even if you talk to the seller & think you can trust them. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get taken. I've seen it happen to friends before........ We recently went to one & saw a mare go through that had something wrong with its back leg. The bid was low but I'm thinking the person that got her most likely did not notice. I know I would not have noticed something like that when we first got into miniatures......................... We did buy a filly from an auction once but we knew the people selling as being reputable & we believed what they told us.

Last edited by a moderator:
tuffsmom said:
Are there any mini auctions/sales around the Texas area?
I've never heard of one, but I'd love to go watch....you never know what you may fall in love with! 
biggrin.gif

488819[/snapback]

The North Texas Pony Sale was held at Sulphur Springs, TX on October 8.

There were probably 2/3 Shetlands and 1/3 minis.

I just got a letter saying they have the facility rented for October 7 next year.

North Texas Pony Sale

Promise,

We were at that sale last fall. they had about 200 minis there and a few misc. animals. There were several very respected breeders there with consignments. Some of the farms did a nice job presenting their lots and were there to answer questions. However most of the horses were of pet quality, not all but most. There were boat loads of colts that hadn't been sold and many were there just to get rid of them before winter. There were some good mares in the mix and i'm sure some good driving prospects. Be prepared for a long day. I think we stayed till 3 pm and they were on lot 80+- with at least 200 total. I think we saw a low price of $400 and up to $3000. There was a tack sale in the morning that was good most people thought they got good deals and seemed happy. They had carts and harnesses as well as trailer or 2 and corral panels. The sale arena is small and most seats are reserved. That leaves many paople standing 3-4 deep in the back.

Had planned to go again this fall to get more tack but I screwed up and planned something else the same weekend.

Good luck

Mark

I do most of my buying and selling at auction and it is a buyer beware atmosphere. If you're interested in a horse basically talk the sellers leg off. Usually you can tell what kind of person they are and if they really care about their animals by talking to them for a while. There are sellers out there that will lie through their teeth and I have been burned before. Respectable breeders though take pride in telling it like it is. I am proud to say that my family has earned respect in this area and word of mouth is our best tool. Just keep in mind that there are those people out there that are just in it for money. But I guess that's not just at auctions that's anywhere. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back