How do you convince them to do it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel_cowgirl

Reaction score
How do you convince your horse that they WANT to do Showmanship and Halter Obstacle type things?

I've been showing for several years now, and done performance some of those, and while yes I know every horse has a different personality and learning style (just like people), theres GOT TO BE some ... routine methods that can be done to get them to do things (do a 360, side pass, back a STRAIGHT line, etc.)

My gelding I used to show as much as he fell in love with halter obstalce for the life of him he would NOT go over the carousel or octopus looking obstacle that they had at some shows where the horse is suppose to walk over the ends of these poles set up in a circle. And I never could figure out how to teach him to do it, I built one but never could figure it out.

The sr. mare I'm working with for this season just seems so stubborn about some of this. I think she's making some progress but she's like 32.5" and thats big enough that she can hold her ground some. Unless I physically push her around I'm having a hard time teaching her to do a 360 degree turn or to side pass etc. I can deal with her taking huge steps instead of baby steps when I'm trying to teach her to square up her feet but this other stuff is getting kind of frustrating.

So how do you start your horses out on this stuff?

I believe that basically if I can teach a horse to pivot, the other stuff comes easily.

And I guess the next question is at what point do you know they don't like it and probably won't do it for you? I think my mare can/will learn, she's enjoying the jumping training, and she does try on some of other other stuff.

On a slightly different note, what do you use to build a tetor totter and how do you build it (like step by step)?

Hi Angel

I do think the best showmanship and obstacle horses have super temperments and have so much trust in their handler that they are willing to go over just about anything. Horses with a high flight instinct dont make good obstacle horses no matter what you do.

Crunch has been learning obstacle and showmanship. He was a natural I think because he is so willing to do whatever is asked of him. He may not like it but he will do it.

I have had a lot of different people show me how to train a horse to sidepass, pivot etc. All of them have different ways but they all work. I think the main thing is to take baby steps and lots of praise. And doing it over and over and over.

Its so hard to type out how to do this stuff. Do you have a trainer or mentor nearby that can come watch you and give you tips??

for the mare maybe try going quicker when trying to pivot. Some horses get it better going slow and some i have found "get it" much quicker when i do it fast. For sure if you are on her left and you pressure her to the right she has to move. Doesnt matter how big the horse is. You get them a little off balance and they must move something.

Heres a pic of an easy to make teeter totter

teeter1.JPG

teeter3.JPG

Last edited:
The horses that really do well in that kind of thing are the ones who are naturually pre-disposed to enjoying it. You might be able to get one who doesn't "like it" to do it but probably not really well. I have some horses who are just "made" for that kind of thing like Sunny, Derby, and Bacardi. Having that kind of horse to handle and work with really crystalized it in my mind that some are really cut out for in hand performance, and some simply are not.

I totally agree that some minis (like all horses) are cut out for this and some are not. Our 3 year old mare Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (in avatar) seems to just love this stuff. She is absolutely fearless, will climb on anything, plus she is very athletic and agile. I train the sidepass and backing in very short segments so she doesn't get bored. We are still working on ground tying because Pinto never asks for that. She is also starting her jumping training and again shows great promise.

Now we also have a gelding who is afraid of EVERYTHING, but really, really patient training has enabled him to do quite well in halter obstacle (and jumping). I can't imagine a mini with less aptitude than he has for obstacle, and he placed 2nd to our mare in a class of 16 last September. (And our yearling colt came in third). OK, so maybe the trainer has something to do with it too. I just love to train for performance. We start them off early and leave some of the obstacles in their turnout (the ones they can't eat!) for them to get used to.

Our teeter totter bridge looks very similar to the one Kaykay posted. Even our gelding will go over it.

Good luck and be patient.

If the horse dont like it they will not do it, EVER. I have a few horses that I would love to show, but simply are put to pasture after one show as they hate it. In time they have become my broodmares or just pets.

I have one gelding that wont ever refuse anything I ask him to do. He never has. He is my all around horse. I couldnt ask for a better one. Even if its a new obstical or a scare jump he hasnt ever not done it. I can see him hesitate and I swear at times he gives me the look but he still does it. He also knows that I wouldnt ask him to do anything that might hurt him.

First you need to have a horse that likes what he/she is doing and second you must have a horse that fully trusts you.

I think the horse trusting the handler is a part of it but I have found a bit of the opposite. It seems for me it is more the horse who is very confident in fact a bit cocky in attitude that seem to do the best. the horses that more then anything trust themselves (and are sure there way is the right way) those have been the horses that I have found that consistently are willing to try new obstacles and sort of just go for it.

Now I dont mean snotty horses or ones with poor attitudes just those again the only way I can descibe it is confident. It is a term that makes sense to me cause when hunters and jumpers there is a obvious horse who is confident in himself and his decisions compared to those with tons of heart who will do whatever is asked of them but not sure if it makes sense to others?

If you are having to physically push them around, this is not training and is becoming a battle of the wills. This is probably as unpleasant for her as it is for you. I would fall back and slow down. Perhaps start with some tiny obstacles on the ground... If you are trying to train her to step over several raised poles for instance, start with one, on the ground and make it 'fun' for her. Lots of praise as someone above mentioned. When she is really comfortable with that- add another, etc... then maybe start with raising one pole, with the remainder on the ground.

If she has no confidence in you and herself, you will not get anywhere but a battle every time you work her, and she WILL end up hating it all, even though she never 'gets it'.

Have patience- that is the key word, and always end your lesson on a GOOD note with something she can do easily, correctly and likes.

First you need trust. Then you need a horse that responds to pressure and willing goes forward and backwards. I highly recommend using stud chains for in hand performance as it gives you more control over the horse and allows better communication. When I train an obstacle horse, I first establish seperation of the hips and shoulders. Once you have seperation, you can start teaching your sidepasses and pivots.

I establish seperation of hip and shoulders by asking for forehand and hindquarter turns. Once I have a horse doing these turns consitantly, I start the sidepasses. All I use to start is a pole and lots of baby steps. My first step is to ask the horse to move it's shoulder over and then lots of praise. Then I ask for the hip to move over - this step usually requires me to step towards the hip to encourage movement away from my body pressure. Eventually with lots of baby steps and lots of praise, they pick it up just on a verbal cue and aid from the chain.

On pivots, it's important to place your horse's weight over is outside rear leg (the right one - pivots should be performed with a FORWARD motion around the outside leg). I do this by slightly lifting up the horse's head and pushing very slightly back (you don't want them to step back). Make sure your horse's feet are aligned in a halter stance first! Then, once the weight is over the outside rear leg, I ask the horse to move it's shoulder to the right. REMEMBER BABY STEPS. Any shoulder movement to the right with the outside leg stationary is rewarded.

Obstacle and showmanship is all about taking baby steps and putting them together in a sequence for your desired results.

Jumping sometimes takes 2 people. 1 to jump the horse and 1 to encourage the horse with a lunge whip. I can get just about any horse to do obstacle, but some horses just don't like to jump. Start low and gradually work your way up with the horse's confidence.

Remember, nobody trained a performance horse in a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some horses are not meant for showmanship and halter obstacle and would be more suited to another event. Most horses can be trained though and will excel in these events. The key is slow systematic training that starts with the most basic of moves and then progresses to more difficult moves, a good reward system and a good relationship with your horse. Your horse must trust you and want to work for you. This is established through working with your horse often, proper training and a good reward system. Minis really do want to please so if the task is introduced to them in a way they can understand it, then usually they are more than willing to please you.

You may find my book Training Miniature Performance Horses: A Comprehensive Guide to Hunter, Jumper, and Halter Obstacle useful.

Jumping sometimes takes 2 people. 1 to jump the horse and 1 to encourage the horse with a lunge whip. I can get just about any horse to do obstacle, but some horses just don't like to jump. Start low and gradually work your way up with the horse's confidence.
IMO, I would not recommend encouraging a horse to learn to jump with a lunge whip. You want the horse to have positive associations with his jumping experience so I don't like to use whips in my training. If you are having to encourage him over a jump with a whip then you are threatening him (even if only slightly), which does not reinforce a trusting relationship. Starting with walking and trotting over just a pole lying on the ground will work to get your horse used to the equipment. Then you can raise the jump to a very small crossrail about 6" high and ask him to trot over that, lowering it if you need to.

Like txminipinto smartly said, training doesn't happen overnight and it just takes lots of practice and some trial and error.

Good luck! :aktion033:

I haven't read the above posts very well, but i didn't see anyone mention motivation... why SHOULD the horse want to do it? If he has no motivation, no reason, to like doing it, then he won't. Find out what "turns his crank" a special sweet spot that he loves to have scratched? A special food treat? enthusiastic lovins (good boy praiseing) etc. Sometimes motiviating the horse will make him suddenly a lot keener to do what you're asking. Don't expect him to love pivoting for the thrill of it LOL But if he knows that when he finishes his round in the jump ring that he will get a lovely peppermint, or that you're going to scratch his sweet spot after he goes over the teeter totter, he may be more willing to do things you ask him to. Now, not every horse will start enjoying work just for the treats, but I think it helps a lot of them.

Latest posts

Back