How do you break in a Carhart???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Hus bought me my very first Carhart jacket for Christmas and I love it......so warm. But I hate it too because its so stiff and bulky. Its uncomfortable like that so I don't want to wear it. I also got it way too big thinking ok I'm fat and it would shrink as much as I might wash it but so far, it hasn't shrunk at all. Oh brother. Any suggestions to make this more broke in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Marty,

Congrats on your new jacket. I just got my second one this Christmas. The first lasted five years or so. Actually, it is just a little shredded along the bottom seam, otherwise is still fine. I still use it for dirty jobs.

I haven't washed my new one yet but it's starting to look like it needs it! Dog slobber from home and sheetrock dust from the job sites.
default_wink.png

Daryl

How to break in a Carhart??? WEAR IT!!!!!!!!

Mine has seen TWO winters now and worn constantly. It's my friend, but by the looks of the sleeves, I need a new one.

(It's only been washed about three or four times.)

I got one too this year, and replaced my old barn coat. Mine is a little big as I like it that way and is loosening up with wear. It just normally isn't that cold here in Georgia, but I started wearing it this fall and took it with me in the car. When I got warm I took it off and threw it one one of the other seats. Slowly it is loosing the stiffness and with the cold weather we have now is soooo warm and comfortable. My favorite part is all the pockets!

If you want to loosen it up quicker, try running it on air fluff in the dryer a few times! Not sure that you are going to get it to shrink.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a boarding facility and get filthy every day. I wash my jacket at least twice a week and haven't had any shrinkage. I got it big so that when I have my many layers on I still have lots of room. Couldn't have made it this winter without that jacket, my muck boots, Under Armour and fleece face cover.

Marty you got it backwards, they break you in. Had one for 2 winters only take it out now when mobility is not necessary. I call it my MUMMY COAT.

Ive had mine for three years now and it took a while to break it in. Oh..and they do not shrink either
default_smile.png

Wash it a few times maybe that would help? Mine is really nice and actually bends and moves now..pretty nice, beats being totally stiff. I hated wearing it at first but its the only way you will break it in
default_smile.png

Smear it in horse pooh!
default_wink.png

I would think a couple washings could loosen it up a bit, plus just wearing it...they are stiff I had the overalls and jacket and it did take a while to soften it up (they were bright red)...It was very warm but sometimes hard to move in...it seemed the colder it was outside, the stiffer it would get.

Marty, just wear the stuffing out of it. The young man who works for me on ocassion had one and I got caught away from home without a jacket and he let me borrow his Carhart and I absolutely fell in LOVE with it.

So this year just after Christmas our Atwoods had a sale and was going to get a Carhart Jacket and Bib Overalls when the sales lady suggested I get their "Real Ranch" brand "for Ladies" (yes, they make them for us Ladies) which is made by Carhart just a different lable and HALF THE COST. I would not be without either one. I got my Overalls in XL and they are a little long even after I permanently hemed up the shoulder straps as short as they would go (can't hem the legs because of the zippers). They are a little bigger than I needed but I believe the L would have been too tight. My jacket is a 2X as it gives me lots of room when I have my overall on and heavier clothing underneath.

My jacket is still a little stiff but the more I wear it the softer it gets. The young man who let me borrow his says he also scotchgards his to protect it against the rain--he is a volunteer fireman and always has this coat in the truck.

Sure glad he talked me into getting a set of Carhart want-a-bes. I would not be without mine and wonder why I did not do this years ago.

To soften my Carhart and hubbys new jeans, I add about 1-2 cups of kosher salt to the wash load. My jackets are all tan, dont know if a darker color would matter, it doesnt with the jeans.

my new jackets/ coveralls, dont stay new very long, but if you do not wear yours like 4-8 hours a day, like we do. then throw it in the dryer with NO HEAT with a pair of tennis shoes - that will beat the crap out of it, but honestly wear it, wear it, wear it. My carharts end up being hung up every year at our farm store for the most worn out, to try to win the contest for another new one! but in a lot of my you tube videos, I am wearing my carharts, ha ha. I might look funny, But I am warm in them. Good Luck.

DH & DS both use Carhart Jackets.... one DH has is about 6 years old and he has beat the snot out of it. Did take a bit of time for him to break it in. Only reason DS got a new one last spring is he out grew his first.

DH also loves the Carhart pants and shorts!

Hard wearing clothes, are very important with the men of my house.

I have a Polar King (just like Carhartt, but different brand makes it). I've had it for 8 years now. They don't shrink and they don't wear out. Hahaha!! I wouldn't want a new one becuase this one is just fine and dandy and comfy. It took a long time to finally break mine in. Wore it almost everyday.

My husband pretty much does in a Carhart coat every winter, he wears it at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week around the ranch; it feeds cows, welds, changes oil, sorts cows, medicates cows, fixes fence, shovels snow, changes flats, you name its done it. He usually gets a new Carhart for a good coat at the start of winter, and his former "good" coat becomes his new work coat. [so, I guess he might get two winters out of a Carhart; one winter as a go to town coat, the next as a chore coat, then its usually pretty dead.]

I have women's Carhart coveralls and regular carhart coats, and they are so great for feeding and working out in this nasty winter weather. I just got my coveralls this winter and I've already worn out one cuff (I even bought them 2 lengths shorter than I usually get in jeans, and they still drag the ground. :DOH! ).

I'm in agrement with everyone! Wear it! break it in! You may feel like the little guy from the Christmas Story for a while but it will eventually break in!
default_wink.png
Also I don't dry mine in the dryer, it gets stiff all over again! I hang dry it.

Leya

Yep I love mine too.........the key is to wear it sll the time........for Christmas this year we bought all of us a pair of insulsted bib overalls. Mine are pink.........lol........I love them.....they are great.

Latest posts

Back