How did you meet your significant other?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
I met my husband on a online dating site. I had been on it for some time and had given up. I had decided that the dates I had been on were quite amusing but that was getting old. I went off for a couple of months then decided to try it one more time and that was it. The first guy I started dating the second time around is now my husband for a year and two days now. After our fist date, we called each other every night and saw each other every weekend. He lived an hour away and we both worked so seeing each other during the week was difficult. He was sure that he wanted to marry me after our first date, but considering the other disaster dates i had been on I was a little more cautious but I fell for him as well.

So, how did you meet your significant other?

LOL.. My husband I have known each other since I was in 6th grade and he was in 5th grade.... we couldnt stand each other! We were in the band together and avoided each other at all costs! Well off to high school I go(10th grade) we were still in the band together and got stuck sitting beside each other b/c we were the only 2 that played our instruments out of almost 200 band members..lol. well we couldnt avoid each other so we became somewhat friends.. fast forward to my senior year 1992. We had a band competition in Florida.. I had just broken it off with a guy i had been dating most for about 6 months and he had just broken up with ..lol. my cousin! .. I wasnt ready to jump in that frying pan again..lol. so we got stuck riding the same bus to florida... so we talked alot blah blah blah.. he asked me out.. i said no, b/c we were friends and I just didnt want to date anyone at that time bc of the previous guy.. that was the first week of April.. fast forward to the last of May.. I needed a date for prom.. who better to ask to go to prom with you then your best guy friend??? well I guess they say is history. We had our first daughter in feb. 98, got maried april of 98 had our second daughter July of 02 and we are still going strong... although there are times... lol. Next May 23 we will have been together for 20 years, known each other for 26 years this month and have been married for 13 yeas. lol. so I guess you can say I married my high school sweetheart?

That is a great story! I'm so glad you guys found each other. My husband and I met at a party at my apartment in college my freshman year. I was 18 and he was 22. Let's just say, it was NOT love at first sight!
default_rolleyes.gif
I spent more time running away from him than trying to get to know him. I finally agreed to go on a date just to get him to stop asking me! It turned out he was a really nice guy and we had a great time. Well, that was 18 1/2 years ago and we have been married for 16 years this month.

Barbara

Met my Significant Other in Sept of 1985.I was back in college in Arcitectural Design(at age 46)and doing section drawings of houses and didn't understand the mechanics of it.I decided I needed a class in carpentry and he was the teacher.The boy looked awesome in his jeans(I'm a bun person) and it went from there.He's a farm boy who decided his college degree in accounting wasn't what he wanted to do in life.We have built houses together and remodeled lots of properties.The years have been fun since he has a great sense of humor and makes me laugh.Funny thing is my ex husband was Carl and a teacher and this teacher is Karl and I am a former teacher.

Met my Significant Other in Sept of 1985.I was back in college in Arcitectural Design(at age 46)and doing section drawings of houses and didn't understand the mechanics of it.I decided I needed a class in carpentry and he was the teacher.The boy looked awesome in his jeans(I'm a bun person) and it went from there.He's a farm boy who decided his college degree in accounting wasn't what he wanted to do in life.We have built houses together and remodeled lots of properties.The years have been fun since he has a great sense of humor and makes me laugh.Funny thing is my ex husband was Carl and a teacher and this teacher is Karl and I am a former teacher.
Wow, my ex's name was Chris and my husband's name is Chris.

My parents owned and ran a country-western bar, this was when country music was "in" and everyone wore a hat and boots and thought they were a cowboy. I called it the "wanna be cowboy" bar, lots of guys who had no clue about horses, but all said "oh, yeah, I ride."

Anyway, one night, I went out to the bar to meet friends, and actually to meet up with a guy friend to go dancing. One of my friends (an older lady) said "see that guy over there? He's really nice and likes horses. I went through AA with him, he wants to come over and meet you." I wasn't sure if that was good or not, but said ok.

He comes over to sit down, and I notice he doesn't have a cowboy hat on, but a ball cap that says "Excuse me, I thought you said you could RIDE." Ok, now I'm intrigued! Turns out, he lives 4 miles from where I work, and knows a bunch of people I work with (so of course, that let me "check him out" with people I knew.) On our first date we went riding the river bluffs near his (now our) house. After the ride I thought "still not sure about the guy, but LOVE the riding area, so I better hang around a while". He says he was impressed when I saddled my own horse while he caught his! He proposed on a trail ride along those same river bluffs 3 years later
default_smile.png

Now, it's just over 10 years we've been married, nearly 14 we've been together. I had a 2 year old son, he had two sons that were 6 and 9. Our boys (they've long since stopped being "his" and "mine") are now nearly 16, 20, and almost 24. My husband transports horses and makes custom horse ropes, the oldest son is a trainer and farrier, the middle one is in his 3rd year of pre-med at University of Iowa, and the youngest is in high school and shows minis with me. We're pretty much a "horsey" household.

So long story short, 2 non-drinking horse riders met in a "wanna be cowboy" bar. . . God works in mysterious ways!
default_biggrin.png

When my ex-husband first told his family we were getting married, their response was "Thank God she's not a Chris." His ex-wife was Chris, and 2 of his 3 brothers married women named Chris. The family used to refer to all the wives as "David's Chris", "Pat's Chris", and "Gene's Chris". I can't count the number of times I was called Chris by his mom, not that she meant anything bad by it, she was just so used to calling all the "girls" Chris!
default_laugh.png

When my ex-husband first told his family we were getting married, their response was "Thank God she's not a Chris." His ex-wife was Chris, and 2 of his 3 brothers married women named Chris. The family used to refer to all the wives as "David's Chris", "Pat's Chris", and "Gene's Chris". I can't count the number of times I was called Chris by his mom, not that she meant anything bad by it, she was just so used to calling all the "girls" Chris!
default_laugh.png
Lol, I refer to my ex as the bad Chris and my husband as the good Chris.

I also met my husband online. Not a dating sight, just a chat room. We talked every day from Nov 1999, just casual. In March he asked me to call him and gave me his number, I never did. He asked me to call him in April again, sent his number and I never did. In May he said something that made me mad, sent his number and I did call him. That started it, we talked every day, sometimes for hours. I had a vacation in June and we decided I would go visit him. I did, almost turned around 5 times, (did I forget to say, he lived in NC and I lived in TN, 5 hours apart). I finally got there, met him at a fast food place. Sat there for an hour before I called him to come and get me. While it wasn't love at first sight, it was close. He was such a warm person and we had a blast. Took me to a great hamburger place and a drive in movie. We spent the next day with some of my friends in NC and spent Sunday with his family (it was his birthday and Fathers Day). For his birthday, he proposd to me, and I did say yes. Monday we talked about getting married the following year and what we wanted and Tuesday I got up crying because I had to leave. I cried all the way home. Couldn't believe I could miss someone so much so when I knew he was home, I called him and told him I couldn't wait a year. It took us two weeks to get things in order and pack. We moved to NC July 5, 2000 and my daughter was very happy to be going. We got married on Sept 30, 2000 and it was the best years of my life. He was the best husband and father. In Oct 2004, we made our first trip to the World Show and had a great vacation, two weeks later he had a heart attack, surgery that went wrong, was in a coma for four months and passed away Feb 26, 2005. While it was not long enough, I felt more love than I ever thought possible. He will always be a part of my heart and I know he is with me every step I make.

I kind of answered this in your other thread about worst dates, but here is the story behind it...

Deb and I were both on AOL and there was one specific chat room that we both went into daily to talk to other AOL friends. We both were not looking for "anything"; in fact we both had eyes for other people at the time (never met in person...just people we talked to online). We knew each other's screen names and did talk a bit in the room, but just joking around. We ended up friends on Myspace (LOL...that site sounds so ancient now...does anyone even still use it??) Anyway, one day I was frustrated with the woman I was interested in and put "Frustrated" as my status. I get an IM from Deb asking if I was OK (she had never IMed me before) because she had seen my Myspace status. Well, that was on July 17th, 2008. We started talking any chance we could...for hours...and of course on the phone as well as online. At the time we were both also on Pogo, so we would go play games together and chat while playing. We talking about music we liked and I mentioned Melissa Etheridge and she liked her too. Both of us wanted to see her in concert again.

In the meantime, we both knew we really liked each other and decided to tell the other women we had been talking to that we were "giving this a chance to see where it went". On July 20th, Deb asked me to be her GF (yes, this was 3 days later...lol) and I said yes.
default_wink.png

Not long after that day (not sure the date...lol) I get a call asking "Guess who is coming to Portland?" "Melissa!" Oh, did I mention Deb lived in Florida and I lived in Oregon?? She ordered concert tickets and booked a flight to come take me out on our 1st date to the Melissa concert on Aug. 23rd!! On Aug. 22nd when she got to Portland, we decided (altho we talked about it before that) that she would move to Oregon.

I was on a dragon boating team at the time and we had a race trip planned for Oct. 1-3 in San Francisco, so Deb shipped most of her stuff to my house in Oregon and flew with her dog to SF and we made a vacation out of it by staying a few extra days and seeing the city together. Then we both (with her dog) flew back to Oregon and started living together!

December 29th, we became "legal" domestic partners (in Oregon that is what they have) and on April 4th, not even 9 mo from when we met, we had a "surprise" ceremony on the beach in Florida while on vacation there!
default_wub.png
(she planned the whole thing and I found out about it the day before!
default_new_shocked.gif
)

Just a year later, we made the decision to move to Florida and have been here a year next month!

Deb is the 1st person I've had in my life who TRULY was interested in the horses and wanted to become more involved with them! She is my best friend and life partner...and it all started with "Are you OK?"
default_wub.png

Such sappy stories. We met online as well, only after me waiting weeks and avoiding it because the pic gave me the bit** vibe. I eventually sucked it up and emailed anyway. This Nov will be 5 years, not all smooth but then again is anybodies relationship ever totally smooth.

Back in 1967 I was a junior in high school and taking Spanish. Our school hired a second Spanish teacher, who would become my husband! But of course I didn't pay him any attention which I was in school because I didn't have him for any classes. We met a few years later. I had been out of high school for two years and ran into the first Spanish teacher at a pizza place. I was with a girlfriend. (This was the guy who was MY Spanish teacher). He was very young when he was my teacher; maybe five or six years older than I was. So, he sees us and invites us back to his place to listed to records (no cd's back then, LOL) and we followed him home.

As we were drinking Cokes and listening to music, this *other* teacher walks out of his bedroom, wiping sleep out of his eyes, because it's 11 Pm and he had to teach the next day. We all decided to drive the 45 miles to Chicago and ride the elevated, and we didn't get back till 6 AM, and the two room-mate/Spanish teachers had to get to school.

At this point, I was intrigued with the second teacher, but the first teacher began calling me and inviting me for dates. He was just gorgeous, but I simply didn't feel an attraction for him. I told my girlfriend this and she asked if I felt an attraction for the *second* Spanish teacher and when i said yes, behind my back she called him and told him he should ask me out on a date! So he did! We ended up getting married and just celebrated our 40th anniversary in June. He's six years older than I am and had my younger sister in his Spanish class when we got married!

And, at our wedding, my younger sister met my husband's younger brother, and THEY ended up getting married four years later and have just celebrated their 36th anniversary!

And incidentally, my parents were married 65 years before my mom died, and my husband's parents were married 73 years before his mom died. Our moms died two years ago and one year ago, respectively. A year apart, but on the very same day! And both our fathers are still living. Mine is 86, his is 95.

In Oct 2004, we made our first trip to the World Show and had a great vacation, two weeks later he had a heart attack, surgery that went wrong, was in a coma for four months and passed away Feb 26, 2005.
And on the way to World, you came to my house and you both spent the night and I cooked Mexican food for you.

It haunts me that it happened so soon afterward! If only I could have somehow known, I could have warned you and prevented the loss of the love of your life. But we never do know what's around the corner in life. So all we can do is LOVE the best we can each day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best trip ever, we had a great time at Robin's and great food (I think I have said that many times LOL) And Robin if I could only turn back time.

These are AMAZING stories!!!!

I MET the man in 1976 in college. The class was called - "Love and Marriage as a Literary Convention"
default_rolleyes.gif

Both of us were engaged to others, but we still hit it off as friends. We both broke off our engagements later that year and dated other people while continuing a friendship. Two years later on May Day he gave me a bouquet of flowers. The next day he asked me out on our first date...the rest is history.
default_smile.png

When I was 29, I had just about given up on meeting "Mr. Right." I was a graphic designer and a musician, and one of my co-workers was a singer in a heavy metal band (Yuck, I thought -- I was into jazz and classical). Another co-worker was the mother-in-law of one of another member.

The two of them pestered me to check out this band, so I finally went. I still didn't care too much for the style of music, but I thought the lead guitarist, some guy named Keith, was really good and rather cute.

The band hired me to design and illustrate their j-card (tape sleeve cover), and as I drew, I decided that this guitarist was REALLY cute. By that time I knew he was single, but I also realized he was very shy; he seemed interested, but I knew if I waited for him we'd be senior citizens before our first date.

So...I made use of the grapevine and told the "band's mother-in-law" that I liked Keith.

This was one VERY effective grapevine! Keith called me the very next day, and within less than a month we were inseparable. Interestingly enough, I learned that his true musical love wasn't heavy metal, but jazz. We began playing music together (some considered me the Yoko Ono of the band when they split up) and eventually formed a jazz/rock/blues combo that still performs.

On September 10, 1989, Keith and I were married in my mother's woods, standing between two of the enormous fir trees I had grown up climbing. In a little over a week, we will have been married for 22 years. We're still best friends and each other's enablers, still as immature as ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
*limbers up typing finger*

I was 20, working in a cafe owned by my family out in the middle of nowhere. (farming country) It was 8 miles from the next place and 25 miles from any town. The Army base was near. He was in the Army. I had no car and not old enough to drink. I had just went through a nasty divorce and then used by another. I had NO interest in any man (was in fact afraid of them) It was March 17 and a lady I knew was driving to the bar 8 miles away. It was St Paddy's day and there'd be a band. I felt compelled to go! So I went and it was crowded! I knew no one and just kind of stood near the bar. Then BAM! My eyes met his and everything but him faded. The lady (my ride) left and I was stuck having to walk home (I lived in a tiny shack next to the Cafe) He was sitting with some guys drinking. I walked by him slowly, hoping he'd talk to me and he asked me to sit down. I did but he ignored me! (I found out later it was love at first site for him and he was afraid!) Then he said they were leaving and asked me to go. He and 2 guys were going past my place and on to a bar 10 miles the other way. I thought I could maybe get home from there and I knew I had to be with this guy. Driving in a car full of men who had been drinking. Oh smart! The car had a sun roof and I was looking up at the full moon thinking I hope nothing happens to me, when he quietly said "I won't let anything happen to you." and that was when he had my heart. He and I sat away from the others at the other bar place and then we took the car home (left the guys stranded LOL) Well, we talked for 4 hours and even talked about the day we'd get married. We just "were" and have been since that night. We had found each other and that was that! We finally kissed as he was leaving and the sky looked full of diamonds!

We only had a month together until he was sent to Germany for THREE YEARS. (Army) He almost never wrote and didn't call or anything. So waiting was he11 agony. I wanted to die literally. Over 3 years passed and I was working in that bar where we'd met. When he was coming back to see me, I stood at the same place I was standing the first time our eyes had met. We only had 1.5 days together before he went to TX. (Army) Later my grandparents drove me down there. We were strangers! Remember we'd only known each other one month threes years ago! But we got married, no friends or family. One day he called me from work and said they gave him 1/2 day off so let's get married! I had bought 3 roses from 7-11 across the street while he was in the shower, one for each year I had waited for him. And this Aug we were be married 24 years and no fights and still best friends. He is my soul. He always knows *why* if I get crabby, there's nothing about me he doesn't know. And I can read his thoughts as if he talked out loud.

To be honest, I don't know why he puts up with me. But I'm glad he does!

Latest posts

Back