How Can I Make Her Comfy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusiveHussler

Reaction score
It's been warm and very sunny lately...And by Friday it's going to be in the mid 60's!! :new_shocked:

Yesterday Lucy was sweating from just standing around...I spent around 30 minutes shedding her out as much as I could, and I could tell she liked it!

Is there anything I can do to make her more confortable? Like clipping her anywhere?

Even her udder area, which is clipped, was sweaty...

Depending on where you are...the mare-clip should be okay for her. There was a post on this with some good pictures, just last week, you should be able to find it easily. I don't do the back legs totally, like of one of the pics, but do the belly, and up-under and between them.

You could also give her a clipped line up between her forelegs and under her neck, but only if your weather is going to stay warm now. Sort of a rough blanket clip, actually, leaving the legs hairy too.

How far along is she?

Is she far enough along that she could be in labor? Just asking because this will make a mare kind of sweaty/damp.

If not, I would clip around her heat points like along the neck and maybe her underline, and use a blade lower than a #10 if possible to leave more hair.

These things should help.

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a trace clip would be okay, it would help keep the sweaty areas from getting damp when it cools down. The mare clip not only keeps the babies from eating shed hair when they nurse, but it helps the mares cool off when they've got that huge oven for a belly!

Sounds like you are taking good care of your little mare.

Andrea

How far along is she?

Is she far enough along that she could be in labor? Just asking because this will make a mare kind of sweaty/damp.

If not, I would clip around her heat points like along the neck and maybe her underline, and use a blade lower than a #10 if possible to leave more hair.

These things should help.

Liz M.
We really don't know when she is due...But she has started to bag up, not a lot, but I can tell there's something there. Her udder was lathered in sweat again today.

Thank you all for the tips.

Latest posts

Back