How can I stop electrocuting my horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what's up with her static the last few days. I thought maybe it was my winter coat but today it's warm and sunny. I got out the rubber curry, started brushing, then touched her and she still got zapped. At this point she is no longer speaking to me. I've never had a horse make it's own static, I'm not sure what to do to stop it.

I'm used to that in the winter whenever I take a blanket off but don't know what's going on with her. I always either touch something metal or dip my fingers in water before touching them after taking a blanket off, that seems to work. How about spaying her down with showsheen or something like that? Poor girl:(

I spray a little show sheen on the brush or on my hand if I am just haltering. I had one pony years ago that was really bad like that. Marsha's idea is clever. I have some anti static spray in my closet I never use because I don't think I have worn a slip in a few years, let alone some clingy knit dress! That ship has sailed. 😂 🤣

I told her I was sorry, but she is flinching every time I touch her at this point. And refusing to come near me. It's not even once, it's every 30 seconds. I'll try show sheen today, then if not I guess I'll look for anti static stuff. That's kind of funny though, I was just wondering if people still wear slips. I'm pretty sure I haven't worn a dress in at least 25 years, unless you count a cover up for throwing over your bathing suit.

I've used the laundry anti static spray. It does work. I put it on a mitt or brush, same as coat conditioner if I use that. When the barn starts freezing I use non scented dryer sheets before brushing. Helps to get the static dust out.

How about keeping one bare hand on the horse to ground you out?

Touching the horse with my bare hand was what was making the static somehow. Or a brush, even a rubber curry. She still flinches when I go to give her a scratch.

Latest posts

Back