How about a vaccine discussion ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Just curious to see what everyone is using.

I often see a difference in what I vaccinate down south in comparison to up north.

I've been vaccinating with the same stuff for years but since I'm breeding now I'm going to consider some tweaking in my program, but not possitive I will make any changes yet. Usually if it's not broken, I don't fix it.

Also, since some of mine will be going out this year (slightly) which means I no longer will have a "closed barn" per say, I'm going to be adding Strangles vaccine too.

Here is a link on the Potomac Horse Fever too if anyone is interested:

http://www.easterndrafthorse.com/Health/potomac.htm

This is what I usually vaccinate with: How about you?

Encevac TC-4 + VEE with Havlogen

Eastern, Western, Venezuelan Equine Encephalomyelitis, Influenza Types A1 & A2 including KY 93 & Tetanus Vaccine

(Intervet) For vaccination of healthy horses against Eastern, Western, Venezuelan Equine Encephalomyelitis, Influenza Types A1 & A2 including KY 93 & Tetanus. Inject 1 ml Im & repeat dose in 3 to 4 weeks. Revaccinate annually & when epidemic conditions exists or exposure is imminent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Massachusetss and vaccinate for everything: EEE, WEE, VEE, Tetanus, Flu, Rhino, Strangles, West Nile. State law also requires Rabies as well as Coggins (Equine Infectious Anemia). The only shot we don't give is Potomac.

flu, rhino, eee, wee, wnv, tetanus, rabies and potomac fever... My vet told me potomac fever is actually all over the country now (FYI).

We essentially have a closed barn, our horses don't travel out, so... On the advise of my vet; I only vaccinate with the FT Dodge WNV plus (or whatever the actual name is). It's West Nile, eastern and western sleeping sickness and tetanus. [it covers the most common mosquito-borne problems and tetanus.]

My AQHA gelding is currently up at my FILs learning some ground driving and such; but his horses are on the same vaccination schedule we are (only 3 miles between us). So, my only worries may be parasites, my FIL doesn't deworm as often as I do.

My horses get everything. 6-way (EEE, WEE, VEE, Flu, Rhino & Tetanus), Potomac, WNV, Strangles, Rabies. Think thats it. If I go to Nationals in August I give a Rhino/Flu booster.

Hi!

Just woundering do you give these to mares that are late term in thier pregnancy or wait til' they foal to give them? How young or soon do you vaccinate the babies that you plan to show in August?

In Nebraska the vets (that I've ever talked to) say that it's not needed to vaccinate for Potomac?? But will be going out of state to show 1/2 the time to: SD, IA and possibly nationals in OK?

Also...... would like to know "where" to get the internasal strangles vaccine??

Thanks!!

We give whatever the vet recommends which this year is 5 way and rabies for all but pregnant mares the preggo mares get them the day after baby is born we only do W Nile if vet says to give it. :pneumobort is give at 5 7 and 9 months to pregnant mares. They do not get all shots on same day as in the past I have had 2 allergic horses.They get 5 ways at one visit and rabies at another. Also we split the herd between Spring and Fall. It works out about 1/2 and 1/2. We have 11 horses.

oops forgot to add that pregnant mares get their 5 way within a 30 day window of foaling if possible. That is to be sure new babies have the most protection possible from mom.

I actually bought my vaccines from my vet & they included 2 that were internasal & they just showed me how to mix them (they come with a powder & liquid seperate, and you mix them in one bottle) and they explained how to give them & I did it, and it was really not that hard. I guess if you have a jumpy, horse it could be tougher, but I did it just fine. Just an fyi...kinda off the subject a little, sorry. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back