horses got into feed room

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maranatha minis

Reaction score
8 minis, 1 shetland and 1 yearling "big" horse got into the feed room last night. there was about 150lbs of feed and rice bran that they ate. What do i do? will they be ok?? not sure how they got in, the gate was open this AM to the feed room.

There is a strong chance that they could founder, that would not be good, I suggest you call your Vet and talk to Him, Her about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely call the vet. Check for heat in their feet. The alpha horses will be the ones who got the most. Is all the food gone or just thrown around the room?

I'm hoping for the best for your guys.

Oh no! I third call the vet! I hope they will be ok!

Hope your little ones are okay! Horses this tiny can be easily effected by food overdoses. At my last barn, a Belgian got out and ate a ton of food, grain, and got into some lime used for cleaning, supplements, other horses' medicines, glucosamine - ate enough that would have killed a mini or perhaps normal horse... He was fine and never took an off step because he's so big it didn't do much to his 2300 lb system. But I've had minis colic just from eating a few too many handfuls of grain they weren't used to. Hate when that happens! Best of luck to you...

Ditto to calling the vet......

You may be looking at the vet tubing mineral oil into a bunch of horses. It depends on how many hours of digesting they have done, I think.

Call your vet, and get them tubed with Biosponge if you can, that is what my vet used when my Welsh pony broke out into the pasture and had grass all day while I was at work. She was foundering when I got home from work, my vet came out and tubed her with Biosponge, and she didn't get a real bad case of laminitis (founder) or even colic from all that fresh grass.

Please call the vet. Years ago this happened to me and I didnt call as they all acted fine. By the time morning came one was dead and 2 were deathly ill. On mine they never showed symptoms of colic but by morning they had gone septic. Thank god we only lost one but it was so devastating to me.

Sending prayers

Kay

You've already gotten the call the vet advice, so I was just curious... Exactly what kind of feed was it, and how much of it was rice bran? How serious it might be could depend on the feed; if it was a complete feed (high in fiber) it might not be as bad, as if it was a hot sweet feed (loaded with carbs and sugar).

I hope all your furkids are alright.

Latest posts

Back