Horses eating Poison Ivy ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitewave

Reaction score
I was cleaning the field of down trees and noticed my 3 guys eating a tree I thought now what are they doing that for, went to look and low n behold they were munching on a poison ivy growing up the side of the tree.. Is this harmful to them ? Is there a reason they are eating it, lacking something in their diet? Or are they just trying to clear thier scratching trees of this Poison Ivey LOL ? Never noticed them eating this stuff before...Any ideas ?

Jenn

My guys have eaten it too, hasn't done any harm that I can see so far. I'd be interested if anybody heard if it is harmful or not. A friend of mine with full sized horses say her guys look for it and eat it and they have plenty of pasture and grass.

there is a website that lists things that are poisonous to horses and poison ivy is one of them. Also buttercups. Check with your vet, but we have been told not to let the horses near poison ivy, yeah, tell them that.

The biggest worry about your horses eating poison ivy is if they come and give you a big kiss afterwards. The oil on the leaves causes allergic reaction in many humans which causes the rash and itching. Horses are not effected the same way. However, they can carry the oil from the plants they are munching and rub it on you causing irritation and itching. So, beware.

I will add my personal experience to the kiss. I've had poison ivy on my face more than once from such an encounter. We eradicate the stuff whereever we find it, just on general principle.

If you are not opposed to chemicals, Roundup is very effective at controlling it. Once it dries on the leaves it is not supposed to be harmful to animals (check the label). You can spray the vine on the tree trunk and it won't hurt the tree. Just try to keep it off the tree leaves. If poison ivy has something my hroses need, they will have to find it someplace else, as it is a plant which is shot on sight at our place. I place it in the same category as goathead weeds, which my horses also eat.

I haven't noticed them suffering malnutrition by being denied these treats.

Latest posts

Back