Horse Trailer Tags

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyarab

Reaction score
I was wondering do you register your horse trailer with Farm tags or go with the regular tags?

here we call them trailer tags. Certain weights have certain tags.

Kentucky doesn't offer any flavors of trailer tags... its either license plate or no plate. If you don't have a plate you can't leave the state. However, the part most people forget, you still have to REGISTER the trailer, you just don't get a plate ($7)! Most people just don't bother registering or plating, and avoid tax.

As far as TRUCKS, Kentucky has farm plates, but only if you have a farm
default_smile.png
Not that the registration people care... I have horse plates (raises money for the horse council) that are dual register farm plates, allowing my vehicle to weigh in up to 38,000. Which is funny given I have an F150 :p But the other option is 6000lbs, and that's barely enough for the truck itself, never mind the trailer.

Regular / Permanent trailer tags on our trailers. Both are personlized to reflect an abbreviation of our farm name. WHNY4ME on the gooseneck and WNY4ME on the bumper pull... LOVE them and the trailers
default_yes.gif

Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always had farm plates on my horse trailers. I recently got a new trailer with LQ and it has farm plates. I did some research on Texas laws and (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice) they are very conflicting. I'm not sure which way is correct. I have, however, checked with several other LG/horse trailer folks in Texas and they have farm plates. My opinion (see previous) is that if I'm carrying horses or horse stuff and going to a horse related event the trailer is part of my farm operation. I guess I'll know if I'm ever told.

default_smile.png

Al, it's probably totally different in TX, but in VA, it's my understanding that if you have Farm Use tags on your vehicle or trailer, you are not to take it further than 50 miles from your home. We have them on an old truck... We basically use it to haul horse poop and farm/household trash
default_laugh.png
Personally, I'm happy it's a stick shift (I can't drive) and that H drives it when it must be driven... I'd be a little mortified to be seen in that handy hunk of junk.

Latest posts

Back