horse trailer info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwharrie

Reaction score
Am most of you know it is next to impossible to find a used mini horse trailer. One option we thought of is getting an enclosed trailer and converting it to a horse trailer. ( we need to keep things light due to our tow vehicle not being a big one)

I know several folks use these.

I would assume duel axle is a must? would a single axle be safe?

any suggestions as to where to get parts to customize? 9 windows ect.

what size would I need to haul 3 ( maybe 4) minis?

thanks in advance!

327058234.jpg

We converted an aluminum cargo trailer and put four slant dividers inside, and to take 5 horses one stands behind the four.

There's a change area in the v nosed front of the trailer.

I was fairly economical, the aluminum will not rust and it looks good..

The floor was bolstered with oak boards, and covered with rubber matting and two front windows were installed and two roof vents

thanks

do you have a photo of the interior? oh and what size is your trailer?

327058234.jpg

We converted an aluminum cargo trailer and put four slant dividers inside, and to take 5 horses one stands behind the four.

There's a change area in the v nosed front of the trailer.

I was fairly economical, the aluminum will not rust and it looks good..

The floor was bolstered with oak boards, and covered with rubber matting and two front windows were installed and two roof vents

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a dual axle is a must, along with a floor designed for concentrated, moving weight. Also huge windows and vents for air.

Personally I'd buy a stock trailer long before converting a cargo trailer. I don't think they are safe!

I think a dual axle is a must, along with a floor designed for concentrated, moving weight. Also huge windows and vents for air.

Personally I'd buy a stock trailer long before converting a cargo trailer. I don't think they are safe!
I also agree. Hauled way to many miles and have seen far to many disasters then to go looking for one.

Dual axles not only distribute weight and impact BUT----a huge thing here, if there is a tire blow out you will probably still have one inflated on that side. This is major for me. Some cargo vans are reinforced but, it is an issue that should be fully considered for floors, side walls, etc.

I have two mini trailers, a tiny "two horse" and a larger four horse, slant load with front "storage area". Both have dual axles. You would not believe how many people think the 2 horse is just for advertising and/or for dogs
default_wacko.png
Yeah, it's all lettered mini horses, etc. When I actually have a couple in there I can spend an extra 30 minutes just getting gasoline
default_biggrin.png
--- once the look in and see one, it's a real show and tell session -- esp since most of mine are the tiny ones.

Keep looking, there are some out there for sale!

Also you are not going to save a dime by going out to buy a cargo trailer.

and by the time you convert it over, it will have cost you more if you aren't doing the work yourself.

Mini trailers are not that hard to come by and if you call around some of the companys, they might have a used one

try: www.Ponderosatrailers.com

I definitely recommend a dual axle. Safety aside, the dual axle will make your horse's ride so much more pleasant. Single axle trailers do not give a good ride & I absolutely would not haul a horse in one of them.

I would suggest a stock trailer--you can find them for a reasonable price and it's relatively easy to have dividers added to them to make mini horse stalls.

I think one of the forum members makes mini trailers. The prices I remember were very reasonable.

I think they are B&W Miniatures from AL or AR?

Some one else must remember them?

Mark

Ditto....... Dual axle is a must. And in the long run changing a stock trailer to your needs will be much easier than changing a cargo.

How many horses will you be hauling? It makes a difference in how the traier rides. I had a single axle enclosed trailer that worked great for the minis. I sold it and bought a fully enclosed thoroughbred size trailer so I could have more room and it's great for hauling several minis. But now that I only have one mini, he hates to ride in it. I couldn't figure out why he was getting so upset when I took him places because he has always hauled very well, so I rode in it to see what was going on. I couldn't believe how rough it rode!
default_new_shocked.gif
The problem was that the trailers made for large horses have suspension that is designed to ride smooth when the weight of the horse is on them. Poor Pepper doesn't weigh enough to put any weight on them, so he gets bounced around. So, whatever kind of trailer you decide to go with, ride in it first to see how it rides.
default_yes.gif

Cargo trailers are built to haul cargo. Not moving live animals, start with a 2 horse or a stock trailer- your horse will have a better chance of surviving a wreck in a real trailer built for moving animals.

We got a custom trailer from Trailers Out West (thanks) and We LOVE it! I would definitely go with a dual axel! Our trainer had a horable blow out on the way to nationals with a single axel.Best Wishes trailer hunting,Amelia Lee

If you are going to shop dealerships, I have been THRILLED with my custom mini gooseneck trailer from Wrangler Trailers. I love it, and they were so helpful and easy to work with!

WFM%20Gooseneck%20Trailer%20--%2009042006%20--%20003.jpg

WFM%20Gooseneck%20Trailer%20--%2009042006%20--%20012.jpg

Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20085.jpg

WFM%20Gooseneck%20Trailer%20--%2009042006%20--%20019.jpg

There is a group in campabello, SC that did have a cute lightweight mini trailer for a reasonable price, I don't know if they still have it or not, I think they have a different lot in Western NC some where, there is also the big lot near the Ag center in Fletcher. I also believe there was a company out of Knoxville, TN that was making a nice mini trailer, I have lost their contact information I'll see if I can dig it up for you. Check horsetrailerworld.com, tacktrader.com, usedhorsetrailers.com.

Karen

The company that was mentioned above , about being forum members, which I am not sure if they are, is www.bwminiatures.com . Wrangler also makes a stock trailer for minis, actually, it's pretty nice and you have your choice of 5' or 5'6" for the height. They are hard to find on the internet to see pics, but you can contact them and they will send you photos and prices. There is Palmetto trailers in SC that has calico mini stock trailers also. Untill all is said and done with converting a cargo trailer, you could have a new stock trailer, mini or a 10ft big horse stock trailer.

Carolyn

Forgot to add, DO NOT DO BUSSINESS WITH ANYONE BY THE NAME JEN/JENNIFER WATKINS, she was the owner of Southen Diamond trailers that scammed alot of trailer dealers and ran alot of private trailer scams also. She is in deep trouble once they find her.

So, how many of you have had wrecks? As you always bring up the surviveabilty of a wreck.

I am curious as to how many of you have actually had wrecks?

Manure happens!

A converted cargo trailer should work fine as long as you are within the specified weight limits.

I'm sure a loaded cargo trailer weighs more than the minis depending on how many and the size of the trailer.

Well, you "shouldn't" need seatbelts and airbags, either, as we shouldn't expect to be in an accident. I won't be putting my horses in a trailer with only one axel. I don't have to have it happen to me to get a clue about what "could" happen and why risk it? When you can get a proper horse trailer for about the same amount as trying to fit out a cargo trailer... I've been driving for 20+ years and never had an accident, but just the same, I wear a seat belt and have air bags (and two axles on my horse trailers).

Back