Horse question on desert living

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell

Reaction score
If you live in the desert, say like Arizona, where you have very little if any grass how do you manage your herd? Do you have to use products like sand clear monthly and how do you manage "pasture" time. Are your lots or pasture real sandy? Curious and hope someone here actually lives in the desert as i have a client ( with lots of sand) wondering what needs to be done and your experience would be very helpful.

Well I live in New Mexico.

I have no pasture at all, though my neighbors have a cattle pasture, so grass is not unheard of.

My horses all have paddocks and turnout drylot "pastures".

I am lucky in that I live in the old riverbed part of my town so my dirt is clay and not sand. So I don't have to worry about the sand issue.

If I did however, I would use Sand Clear once a month for a week, as that is what my vet likes to do.

Yes you would use sand clear or some other type of sand removal stuff. I lived in the Phoenix area for 10 years and yes some pasture was available to outside horses those that weren't,, were in sand covered areas. They would irrigate the pasture 2 times a week but still lots of sand even in the pasture areas, lol..

Thanks.
default_smile.png
appreciate the help.

As you can see at least in one of the pics just sand. lol and in the other pic that is me driving along one of the irrigation canals WAY in the back ground was the barns and you can see some green grass but not a heavy blanket at all like we know in this area. lol..Miin and WI. that is...the first picture shows mountains Way in the back ground That is Scottsdale.. I was in Tempe~! And the 2nd pic is Tempe on the right side of the canal and Mesa on the left side... Only a canal separates the 2 cities, lol

Patchwork_Josher.jpg

5d15c2f4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the middle of a city... we have a small arena that I try to turn the horses out to exercise daily for about half an hour, the rest of their time is spent in stalls. There is NO pasture or grass EVER!!!

Andrea

I live in Buckeye Az outside of Phx. While there is irrigation its not as common to get, mine are all on dry lots that has sand. I feed phsyllium once a week every month and try to feed off the ground. You must feed phsyllium or you WILL end up with sand colic. I work for a equine vet, and it is a must as well as feeding off the ground. I'ts best to have mats under your feeders here if possible.

Back