Horse needs more energy/ Enthusiasm/ Speed??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a ten year old 34 1/2 inch miniature that I drive. He is VERY laid back. The kind that nothing phases. We have been conditioning for a few HDT drives which will be at least 6 KM long. We have been working on conditioning since Oct working slow and steady. We are also taking weekly dressage lessons.

He is so SLOW. We need to be moving at 9KM/ph and he is content to go 6-7 KM/ph. I have to push him to get and keep 9KM/ph. I figured with more conditioning his speed might improve but that is not the case.

He is also a very easy keeper. He is getting the Purina Mini and Pony and a very high quality coastal hay. I have never had this problem with my big horses usually I trying to not make a horse to hot- I want him to be HOTTER.

Are there any supplements that will give him more UMPH/ Energy/ Speed without the calories?

Any other conditioning tips to improve his speeds?

SOME horses are truly slowpokes.

Occasionally, a supplement like Red Cell can give them some pep, but often not.

I think your guy just may be one of those unmotivated kinds!!!

I am having a similar problem with my 8 year old mini mare,

I'm trying to get her into show condition and teaching her to lunge but she is soo lazy and no matter what I do I put things on the end of the whip lol nothing phases her I have just recently started changing her feed, don't think you can get it over there I'm in Australia so things are very different LOL its called formula 3 and has heaps of good nutrients in it, its by Mitavite she is also on a product called livamole which helps with coat condition and alertness, I have seen a small difference since I have started changing her over, hoping that with time she will be more energetic and forward.

Good luck with your little guy!

I have tried a little alfalfa. I just feel bad because he is such an easy keeper. When he gets the alfalfa he gets little to no grain and even less coastal. Poor guy has to watch everyone else eating.

I guess I am okay with him being pokey. He is safe and sane.

Thanks

I had/have this issue with Princess, the mare in my avatar. Do you have trouble at all temps or only in the heat? We realized that Princess wasn't sweating and was horribly affected by the heat. Once we started her on One AC she started to sweat like a normal horse and has more energy. Also, I had a similar problem with my riding horse Target and a dressage instructor helped me a lot with him. So I started taking driving less with the same dressage instructor, who also knows how to drive. Getting them "forward" is more than half the battle. That also helped. Good luck.

I have a ten year old 34 1/2 inch miniature that I drive. He is VERY laid back. The kind that nothing phases. We have been conditioning for a few HDT drives which will be at least 6 KM long. We have been working on conditioning since Oct working slow and steady. We are also taking weekly dressage lessons.

He is so SLOW. We need to be moving at 9KM/ph and he is content to go 6-7 KM/ph. I have to push him to get and keep 9KM/ph. I figured with more conditioning his speed might improve but that is not the case.

He is also a very easy keeper. He is getting the Purina Mini and Pony and a very high quality coastal hay. I have never had this problem with my big horses usually I trying to not make a horse to hot- I want him to be HOTTER.

Are there any supplements that will give him more UMPH/ Energy/ Speed without the calories?

Any other conditioning tips to improve his speeds?
I don't know what Purina Mini and Pony is? I feed plain oats to the easy keepers in training..
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back