Horse Myths & Legends

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Paw Paw ointment for cuts for years. Its is the same consistency as Vaseline. It works a treat on horses and humans.

I will throw in some folklore I found in my Ozark Legends and Folklore book just for giggles and grins. The tangled up knots that show up in a mane are according to folklore caused by witches riding the horses during the night. I guess Halloween came early because this week I had to use half a tube of Cowboy Magic to get the knots out of two manes. I did not hear any cackling during the night or find any extra brooms though I do recall some rather gusty winds. Hmmmmmmmm.
default_new_rofl.gif

Vickie, I have heard them called "witch's Knots", I usually just call them wind knots. [had no idea why they were called witch's knots til now.]

We always called those "witch braids" but I never knew why until now. Thanks for sharing.

We use sugar or honey with iodine for wounds. Preparation H to reduce swelling around the wounds if needed. We've had some really awful wounds, due to some careless hunters, heal with virtually no scars. We used to use Used Motor Oil for the horses hooves but it has soooo many additives in it now I wouldn't use it on a triple dog dare. A cheap and super easy way to get the "Witches Knots" out of manes and tails is to put 3 parts and 1 part Corn Starch in a spray bottle. Spray into the knot. Let set for a couple of hours to really work in deep, if needed. Then comb out.

This has been a fun thread to read. I'm surprised at how many of our old ideas are universal.

Barefootin, your recipe for 'wind knots' is incomplete lol. 3 parts? with 1 part corn starch ? That actually sounded like a home product that would be safe but it does depend on what you've mixed with the corn starch.

Latest posts

Back