Horse face markings & eye colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is our weanling filly Baby (6.5 months). With help from LB board members, we identified her as having a small star, strip and wide snip. Her left eye is blue, something we didn't even realize when we saw the first time at the breeders. So, if I'm reading things correctly, her blue eye and white facial markings make her a sabino?

3 weeks or so - first day we met her

fantine1-1-2.jpg

4.5 months

IMG_1714_e2.jpg

Here are a few of mine...

08 colt DRK PHANTOM INVESTOR Bald face w/blue eyes

PhantomHead_offHeadNeck.jpg

My favorite mare WFF BLAZING GOOD TIME Large blaze w/blue eye

Blaze3.jpg

Junior mare IMPRESSIBLE FANCY FEATHERS Wild blaze with blue eyes

Fancy1.jpg

09 colt DRK SHOW ME A GOOD TIME Bald face w/blue eyes

blaze09colt4web.jpg

Wingnut, that is Splash! In my opinion (marking & eye)
default_smile.png

But she could also carry Sabino! Most of my horses are Tobi, Splash & Sabino mixes!

COOL! Your girl is marked like many of mine!

Last edited by a moderator:
I belong to the school of thought that blue eyes come from either splash or frame, not from sabino.

Here is our newest white faced acquisition, little Q--he is a sabino:

Q_face.JPG

I don't have a photo that shows it but he has the neatest leg markings--very colorful legs, also due to sabino.

I don't have a good face photo of this mare, but here are two side views, one from each side. She's got one white ear, one red ear, blue eyes, both with mascara--she is tobiano, splash and possibly has sabino as well:

Jewell_2sm.JPG

Jewell_May20sm.JPG

This is Tim--I love his bright white face--also a product of sabino:

Tim_headJune28.JPG

The above are all ponies; we have very little white on our Minis. My Magic colt has a wide white snip which I believe is due to frame; his mother is blue eyed, likely due to frame as she is sired by an LTD bred frame stallion. Unfortunately I don't have a head picture of this colt...my only frame, and all he got was the white nose.
default_no.gif

i went out and took a pic of my gelding, mikey's eye.. its really neat and VERY hard to photograph!

misc195.jpg

yes its mostly brown with blue near the pupil! i have always thought it was rather neat!

misc193.jpg

and mikey and his awesome blaze!

mikey is a pintalossa, every year her gets more white . i fear soon he will be mostly white! we love him tho!

Here is face marking..

I was told his off sided face (white) might be from Splash genes.

I am plan to test him for lwo, and much more..

Here is my mare as with question marking on her face.. ;)

She does have a little tint of light blue in one of her eye.

I did tested her for LWO and she is neg.

377783651.jpg
My Fav mare, bred to my overo stud for 2010

The Sisters chronologlically. Same parents - Zoe and BabyZee.

Zoe is a red head, Splash with blue eyes and eyeliner, huge blaze extending under

chin and around face on one side; Zee is a red & white pinto with brown eyes, irregular facial markings going under chin.

Zena born 5-12-04 - red and white pinto - 2 blue eyes

Zena_Day2-14.jpg

Zuni born 6-11-05 - red and white pinto - one light blue eye/one brown

8-05closeup.jpg

Zita born 6-01-06 - red head - 2 brown eyes - solid legs

Zeta5daysBear.jpg

Zoolii born 8-08-07 - red head - 2 brown eyes - white on legs

Zoolii2weeks.jpg

Zael born 6-16-09 - red head - 2 brown eyes - solid legs

Faceon.jpg

Not sure what it shows other than you can sure get different markings & eye color

from the same breeding, different years. They look different but you'd never

doubt they are sisters, seen together.

No baby for next year have to wait till 2011 to see what this pair throws next.

I have a black pinto mare with sabino roaning NO blue eyes give me 4 foals now ALL with blue eyes or at least partial blue eyes out of 4 different sires. Her sire was black with sabino roaning and her dam was a black pinto with sabino roaning. Neither of them had blue eyes nor did they ever produce blue eyed foals (mare did produce one colt, a homozygous tobiano pinto with 1 blue eye...her other 10 foals were brown)

Here's the mares 09' bay appaloosa colt (sired by a bay few spot stallion-NO pinto/overo nor blue eyes)

P1050854.jpg

Here is her 07' chestnut pinto filly with blue eyes and offset facial marking-filly sired by chestnut tovero (tobiano and splash:

TS.jpg

Here is her 05' black pinto colt with 2 partial blue eyes--sired by solid chestnut stallion

DSC00762.jpg

Do you think my mare is tobiano, sabino, and splash then? I don't understand how she can keep producing foals with blue eyes when she herself doesn't have them. Her only facial white is a small star. She is a minimal tobiano with quite a bit of roaning.

P1050408.jpg

Here is her face--there isn't a bit of white on it but her small star

P1050410.jpg

Here is a paternal sister of hers-she is solid black with TONS of roaning on her belly, flanks, and under the chest area-oh and under her tail too. She has brown eyes, no white on her face. Her sire gave us one other filly with the same thing. Weird?? YES!

P1050257.jpg

And now for my loud toveros
default_wub.png

My 19 yr. old chestnut tovero mare, Daisy Mae (sire bay tovero and dam solid chestnut)

Daisyhead.jpg

Her look alike loud tovero daughter, Shasta Daisy (excuse them eating off the ground and not out of their grain buckets...we were moving grain and a small bit fell...the horses quickly attacked)

P1050726.jpg

Shasta's 09 tovero colt, Shazam (partial blue eyes--minimal tobiano)

P1050516.jpg

Shazam's sire, my chestnut tovero, Cool (has 1 blue eye)

cool1.jpg

cool-1.jpg

Daisys 2001 filly, solid chestnut with blaze and 2 partial blue eyes (sire is solid chestnut)

Daffy-head.jpg

This is what both of her eyes look like

DSC00087.jpg

My solid (and I mean solid) black mare that only has a teeny star and brown eyes, bred to a solid stallion that had a normal blaze and coronet with brown eyes... had a blue eyed colt! I believe now that the stud carried frame or Splash. It was not Sabino. But yes, solid horses that you would not think carried any patterns many times ARE and can surprize you with blue eyes or a "crop out" patterned foal!

That's what adds to the fun!
default_laugh.png

This is one of our 2008 colts.. He is sired by a black near leopard/splash overoloosa stallion and out of a black tobiano/splash mare (both tested LWO negative, so I KNOW it's splash) He was born SOLID jet black and has partial blue eyes:

102_2587.jpg

101_2933.jpg

His blue eyes are the ONLY indication of pinto on him, he is appying out like crazy now, has roaning/frosting over his body and spots now:

100_4757.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0488.jpg

This is one of my very favorite mares and my VERY FIRST National Champion mare in 1991, LTD's Spot Cash a daughter of Shredder and a 1/2 sister to LTD's Magic Man. Spot Cash is a 3 times National and twice Reserve National Champion and produces some very beautiful and unique foals. Shown here at with her 2006 filly, LTD's Shezalottocash sired by LTDs Red Cloud.

I just love the upside down wishbone on Spot Cash's muzzle. I have never seen another horse with a marking like it. Her filly isn't too bad either
default_wub.png

beautyncash11.JPG

beauty8.JPG

This is one of my very favorite mares and my VERY FIRST National Champion mare in 1991, LTD's Spot Cash a daughter of Shredder and a 1/2 sister to LTD's Magic Man. Spot Cash is a 3 times National and twice Reserve National Champion and produces some very beautiful and unique foals. Shown here at with her 2006 filly, LTD's Shezalottocash sired by LTDs Red Cloud.
I just love the upside down wishbone on Spot Cash's muzzle. I have never seen another horse with a marking like it. Her filly isn't too bad either
default_wub.png

beautyncash11.JPG

beauty8.JPG
Lisa....that filly has the CUTEST markings!
default_wub.png

Here is another colt I just got. He is a Champion Farms Nighthawk son and is lab tested LWO positive. His eye that you can't see has white sclera.

hawkcolt.jpg

What's your barn name?

The Sisters chronologlically. Same parents - Zoe and BabyZee.

Zoe is a red head, Splash with blue eyes and eyeliner, huge blaze extending under

chin and around face on one side; Zee is a red & white pinto with brown eyes, irregular facial markings going under chin.

Zena born 5-12-04 - red and white pinto - 2 blue eyes

Zena_Day2-14.jpg

Zuni born 6-11-05 - red and white pinto - one light blue eye/one brown

8-05closeup.jpg

Zita born 6-01-06 - red head - 2 brown eyes - solid legs

Zeta5daysBear.jpg

Zoolii born 8-08-07 - red head - 2 brown eyes - white on legs

Zoolii2weeks.jpg

Zael born 6-16-09 - red head - 2 brown eyes - solid legs

Faceon.jpg

Not sure what it shows other than you can sure get different markings & eye color

from the same breeding, different years. They look different but you'd never

doubt they are sisters, seen together.

No baby for next year have to wait till 2011 to see what this pair throws next.

Back