Horse face markings & eye colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of eye color...my little filly Willow really fooled me. I was so disappointed when she was not born with blue eyes. As she grew her eyes changed from a grey, to kinda purple, and now blue. Is that common? Her sire is a splash and her dam tovero. She hasn't been tested yet.

willow1.jpg
willow4.jpg

I had to add pics of my boy Awesome he is a frame overo and has the prettiest facial marking on my farm.
default_wub.png

aw-1.jpg

Jennifer, I wonder if the violet /blue has something to do with splash. I remember bringing my mare, Summer, home several years back. Her eyes looked violet. They are beautiful blue and black marbled. She is LWO neg. so the blue eyes must come from splash (white star and snip as well as thin white bands right above her heels). Her colt this year is either a smokey black pinto or a true black pinto with a marbled blue eye (almost violet when the sun hits it) the jury is out on the other eye. Sire is LWO neg. I haven't sent his papers in yet, I'm not sure if the eye is going to end up blue or darken.

And as always, Awesome is as handsome as ever.

Lilmiracles I think your horse carries a cream gene and is a smokey black. That is what has caused this amber eye on our horses.
And that would explain why I have seen them so often in buckskins. BUT...that horse looks very-very much a bay to me...and neither parent carries cream, if I recall correctly, sire is bay, dam is chestnut?

Jennifer, I wonder if the violet /blue has something to do with splash. I remember bringing my mare, Summer, home several years back. Her eyes looked violet. They are beautiful blue and black marbled. She is LWO neg. so the blue eyes must come from splash (white star and snip as well as thin white bands right above her heels). Her colt this year is either a smokey black pinto or a true black pinto with a marbled blue eye (almost violet when the sun hits it) the jury is out on the other eye. Sire is LWO neg. I haven't sent his papers in yet, I'm not sure if the eye is going to end up blue or darken.And as always, Awesome is as handsome as ever.
Oh good...I'm glad I wasn't seeing things. Her eyes really did look violet. I wish they would have stayed that color.

I haven't seen any like this yet, here is my tobiano/sabino mare (LWO neg), I think her partial blue eye is from sabino.

Canyon_eyesm_8-30-07-288x387.jpg

Canyon_face_4-24-04-233x357.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim, she probably has splash in there somewhere since she has facial white and tobiano, by itself, produces solid heads.

Kim, she probably has splash in there somewhere since she has facial white and tobiano, by itself, produces solid heads.
No, I don't believe she carries splash, she has had several foals, and all have been sabino or tobiano, or both. The facial white is coming from sabino. Sabino can have blue eyes.

Lilmiracles I think your horse carries a cream gene and is a smokey black. That is what has caused this amber eye on our horses.
And that would explain why I have seen them so often in buckskins. BUT...that horse looks very-very much a bay to me...and neither parent carries cream, if I recall correctly, sire is bay, dam is chestnut?
I'm not 100% sure. I read somewhere the dam was a bay. I was doing alot of research, but seem to of lost it all. She was owned by sweetwaters and then appeared to be sold at auction. There haven't been any papers updated since. So who knows from there, but I believe when I was reading the old auction listing, it stated she was a bay mare. JPF Georgia Girl AMHA: A26521 AMHR: 47454A

Now reading back on her sire, he is actually a sorrel pinto, there appears to be a couple palominos in his pedigree from there. Could of come from there.. perhaps she's carrying a gene. Boone's Little Apachie AMHA: A03579 AMHR: 47434A

I've only owned her for 3 years now. But I have pictures of her past foals. 3 foals have been black, only 1 has been a light sorrel. I don't want to spam this topic with pictures so if anyone is interested in seeing them for more information let me know and I will show them to you.

Here is vixon in her winter wooleys.

vixon_left.jpg

Another eye shot, if you look close you can see under her eye she has a light brown eyeliner.

0005.jpg

Here she is clipped for the summer in all her mommy greatness..

Picture499.jpg

I think she deffinently looks bay..

Here is our Bay Frame/Sabino Overo stallion "Apache". Irregular facial white with dark eyes.

ApacheHead.jpg

These are photos of his full sister "Lacy" as a foal. She has one blue & one brown eye.

LacyHeadMarginsLeftSide.jpgLacyHugMom.jpg

This is a photo of "Sylvie"....a black Sabino, with dark eyes.

SylvieWoolyFace0001.JPG

This is Deja Vu, a Chestnut Sabino/Tovero with dark eyes.

2009_07_10_DejaFlyingMane0001.JPG

This is actually a daughter of Awesome, shown earlier on this thread, so I just had to post!! She is Jones Call Me Blue Admiration, with her colt OTM Maximum Firepower. The gray hides her wide blaze, but you can see it on her son, who is also turning gray. They each have one blue eye and both are LWO+. They get their gray color from Blue Boy, on my mare's dam's side.

Max_mom_5_30.jpg

This is my yearling colt. I was just wondering what I should test him for. His left eye is partial blue and he has the white marking face marking.

tomeyeblazeshot.jpg

Now reading back on her sire, he is actually a sorrel pinto, there appears to be a couple palominos in his pedigree from there. Could of come from there.. perhaps she's carrying a gene.
If her sire is a sorrel/chestnut, there is no chance of her having gotten a cream gerne from him as cream cannot hide in red. Had he been cvarrying cream, he would have been palomino.

I wonder about her dam, perhaps she was actually a buckskin; the reason I wonder, is that I have seen smuty buckskins that look very similar to your mare. I would be tempted to pay $25 for a test for cream just out of curiosity.
default_smile.png

IMG_2047-1.jpg

This is Hunt House Farms Cowboys Brandy...registered as a solid, but had a homozygous tobiano colt last year.

Lab tested Tobiano, and I would imagine Splash? with the blue eye???

And her son "Azariahs Cowboys Tim Buck II"

IMG_2307.jpg

Tami, I believe your pretty boy carries Splash!

Julie, your mare looks to carry Sabino
default_smile.png
And her colt, Splash.

That's how they look to me
default_smile.png

Thanks so much. I am always learning and for some reason this Overo, Sabino, Splash thing has me confused.

I have some other photos to post, will when I get time.

I have a question about face markings. This filly, Reflections Anticipation, has a 'star, strip, snip'. The 'star' part has that colored circle over the left eye. Her 'uncle', Pecan Grove Chargers Customized, has a wide blaze with the same circle in the same place. I have never seen a picture of Annie's sire so I don't know if he has the same face marking. Looking at some pictures on this subject I see a horse (watcheye's) with a similar type of face marking. Is this 'hole' in the face white indicative of any particular pattern, or just a fluke?

anniewebDSC_7586.jpg

thanks,

Charlotte

Tami I'd test your boy for LWO just to be safe.. If he comes back negative then you know for sure he's carrying splash, if he comes back positive then you know for sure frame, but still have the possibility of splash (can't test for splash)

Some of mine

My Filly Fyre Fly

minishowsaturdayam036.jpg

minishowsaturdayam037.jpg

minishowsaturdayam042.jpg

Mare Skye(both parents Silver Pinto, Dam has Blue eyes, Sire doesn't)

48074303_full-1.jpg

editedheadshot2copy.jpg

As a foal

181105038.jpg

Skyes Baby(sire is Silver dapple NO white markings or blue eyes, but his Sire is a Visible Splash overo(bald face, belly splash, blue eyes etc)

PA270061.jpg

PA270015.jpg

DSCF0612.jpg

This is one of my personal favorite face markings on my stallion, B&L's Rock E Good Man Charlie. He is furry and happy in this picture.
default_smile.png
He is Sabino and Splash.

PICT3230.JPG

Latest posts

Back