Horse face markings & eye colors

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey

I would love to see photos of face markings and eye colors.

Please share with us why you think they have the markings and the eye colors they have.

i have see so many nice horses with nice markings and eye colors.

share with us the colors of the parents and eye colors.i would love sites as well.

i am trying to learn as much as i can about the markings and eye colors. I know conformation is first, but love to see and learn everything.

thanks

ps What causes a foal to still have dark steel blue eyes. i know soon foals i change but this foal hasn't change eye color yet.

what horses do you breed to get nice face markings( i know pintos are good ones to get great face markings)

Well just got this little girl today and not sure on the face markings but she has two blue eyes. I would be interested in what people say about her.

head2jpg.jpg

Her sire is a bay pinto and her dam is a sorrel pinto.

Carlene

Wide blaze/bald face, blue eyes, SPLASH (tested LWO negative)

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

Irregular blaze extending to snip/lip white, blue eyes, really though she'd test LWO positive but nope she's negative, thus SPLASH

DSC_0062.jpg

stango1.jpg

Apron/bald face, blue eyes, SPLASH (sire/dam both LWO negative)

sageb.jpg

sage9.jpg

Irregular blaze, roaning, partial blue eyes, I'm guessing splash and sabino/appy causing the roaning. Sire is LWO negative, dam is solid bay (no white/no blue eyes)

strouble.jpg

strouble1.jpg

carlenehorse, we've got a mare that could almost be your girl's twin, except she's a dark bay and doesn't have the blue eyes.. She does have a roany star so I'm assuming sabino, tobiano causing her pattern but not sure about splash?

DSC_0506-1.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

I don't really know anything about this, but I think its really neat.

My solid bay mare, only has little socks of white on her hooves, no hoof stripping, yet her eyes are so light colored, they are not your average colored horsey eyes. I was told it has to do with the pinto traits. Her father was a bay pinto. Her mother I can't remember but I believe to be a solid bay. She has had 3 foals that I know of all with very minimal pinto to almost nothing.

If anyone has any ideas on what causes this eye color I would love to be enlightend

IMG_9364.jpg

Carlenehorse, there is no doubt that your mare's blue eyes are a pinto trait.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wub.png
As to her colour, I will venture a guess that she is a silver bay. I suspect her red dam hides a silver gene.
default_smile.png

Lilmiraclesfarm, the eye on your bay mare is one that I have often seen on dilutes, especially buckskins. Interesting...
default_smile.png

My solid bay mare, only has little socks of white on her hooves, no hoof stripping, yet her eyes are so light colored, they are not your average colored horsey eyes. I was told it has to do with the pinto traits. Her father was a bay pinto. Her mother I can't remember but I believe to be a solid bay. She has had 3 foals that I know of all with very minimal pinto to almost nothing.

If anyone has any ideas on what causes this eye color I would love to be enlightend

IMG_9364.jpg
I would be curious as to what causes this too, I just got a solid chestnut? mare that is a half sister to Chocos Little Specs Red Boy that has only one pinto horse on her papers but she has the light brown almost orange colored eyes. I will take a picture tomorrow and post it.

IMG_9364.jpg

I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS MARE...
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

This little gal has a big star and two beautiful blue eyes!

WWC Miniatures Go Brandi

Brandi035.jpg

This is Jewel, she has a wide blaze and one blue eye and one brown eye!

DSC01254.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Maple Mountain Repeat Run (Petey) with a half white, half black face and 2 blue eyes - either maximum splash or maximum sabino?

Peteyface.jpg

Maple Mountain Canadian A (Sunny) blue eyes with mascara and a slightly crooked blaze extending down over his nose and bottom lip - typical sabino trait

SunnyfaceE.jpg

Blue eyed sabino Gypsy with her funky colouring.

P1120650.jpg

MiLo Acres Just For The Ladies (Jessie) with his blue eyes and a large star extending to a narrow blaze - overo full grown

JessiefaceS.jpg

and as a colt just because I love this photo.
default_biggrin.png

Jessieeyes.jpg

Maple Mountain Splash of Maple (Mable) with her bald face and blue eyes likely sabino

MableheadP.jpg

Jem Dusky's Dream (Dreamy) with her apron face, brown eyes and typical sabino mottling and her colt, Maple Mountain Custom Chrome (Custer) with his large star and a bit of a strip, a large snip extending to his bottom lip - typical sabino trait

May24thDebbie003E.jpg

Dreamy's full sister, Jem Just A Little Peach (Peachy) again the typical sabino mottling on an apron face with brown eyes and mascara.

May24thDebbie069E.jpg

MiLo Acres Madeleine's Jewel with her large star, tiny snip and big brown eyes. Her mama has a large star extending to a wide blaze and you can see she has gone gray just as Jewel will (you can already see the grey outline to her eyes in this, her birthday photo).

LoveyE-1.jpg

The best way to get neat face markings is to have a horse that Carries Splash. Like my filly Willow. She has two blue eyes and her sire is my black Splash stallion.

Willow

website1004001.jpg

Or her blue eyed brothers

Panache

website1005004.jpg

The Pooka

website1005011.jpg

These horses have some nice patterns.

Here is a 08 Gold Pinto Champagne colt that was produced out of a Blue Eyed Pinto mare and my Classic Champagne Stallion. His eyes went from bright blue to a neat shade of green.

maxhead5mo.jpg

maxchampagne.jpg

default_rolleyes.gif
default_wub.png
As to her colour, I will venture a guess that she is a silver bay. I suspect her red dam hides a silver gene.
default_smile.png

Lilmiraclesfarm, the eye on your bay mare is one that I have often seen on dilutes, especially buckskins. Interesting...
default_smile.png
It really is, I can't find to much information online about it either. It only shows information having to deal with what you've stated already. Nothing on solids.

IMG_9364.jpg

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Thank you! I just love her too. I was talking to my grandmother the other day, and I was like, well if I sell my horses I could get a biggie in those stalls. She followed with, you could never get rid of them, they are to special. She's totally right!! Her & her filly are priceless to me, even with all that attitude.
default_wub.png

Lilmiracles I think your horse carries a cream gene and is a smokey black. That is what has caused this amber eye on our horses.

sapphirerose3.jpg

This is a weanling Bay Frame Sabino Pinto Filly, with blue eyes, medicine hat and neck spot.

celebrity3.jpg

Black Frame Sabino Stallion.

pizzazz4.jpg

Black Bay Homozygous Tobiano Tovero Pinto Weanling Colt, with blue eyes. This colt probably carries his dam's splashed white as well.

bandit3.jpg

Bay Sabino Pinto Stallion, with blue eyes and eyeliner.

default_rolleyes.gif
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

default_smile.png
It really is, I can't find to much information online about it either. It only shows information having to deal with what you've stated already. Nothing on solids.

IMG_9364.jpg

default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Thank you! I just love her too. I was talking to my grandmother the other day, and I was like, well if I sell my horses I could get a biggie in those stalls. She followed with, you could never get rid of them, they are to special. She's totally right!! Her & her filly are priceless to me, even with all that attitude.
default_wub.png
HA same here but Id take that mare in a heartbeat! I also thought I read something about the amber eyes and the cream gene. So cool!

Here is my mare with the funky eyes. She is linebred Chocolatico and has only sorrels and chestnuts on her pedigree and one red roan pinto, although there are a few that I think carry silver or are silver blacks. I just got her and she is kind of thin so dont judge her too hard, I am taking her to have her teeth done tomorrow so hopefully that will help.

Nana006.jpg

Nana007.jpg

Nana005.jpg

Nana004.jpg

Nana010.jpg

Nana003.jpg

Keegan! This guy has frame, splash and sabino. I adore his face markings. The white eyelashes and the blue eyes. His little triangle is so cute too and hes even got pink on his nose. Love it. I generally use this guy for my mascot.

DSC00067.jpg

17740008.jpg

Hiawatha. This little ladys sire is splash. I dont know if her dam is just sabino or if shes something more but I do know that she has sabino.

007_18A.jpg

hee hee I get such a kick out of it when she does this
default_laugh.png
but here you can see her bottom lip. Love that!

DSC00956.jpg

The best way to get neat face markings is to have a horse that Carries Splash. Like my filly Willow. She has two blue eyes and her sire is my black Splash stallion.
Willow

website1004001.jpg

Or her blue eyed brothers

Panache

website1005004.jpg

The Pooka

website1005011.jpg
OMG!! I love your little filly Willow!!! my favorites are the horses with one white ear!!

Taylor

Our mare Cameo has the coolest colored eyes. (IMHO)

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

She also has the neatest face markings too.

Instead of a blaze or anything she just has a big snip. Im trying to find the really good picture that shows it off but am having trouble. I will post a better picture if I can find it.

Cameo1.jpg

Thank you Taylor! I LOVE the one white ears too!
default_wub.png
Nort sired 3 like that, all this year!

We had a palomino mare (could have been champagne) that had yellow eyes! We have her palomino pinto daughter (Goldie) and she has amber gold eyes! Really pretty!

Just like Diamond's mare Cameo
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back